PDA

View Full Version : Man's sperm decides gender?

Tindra
April 11th, 2013, 06:59 AM
I've read in several places that apparently you need to look at your partner's family history and that way you can get a hint at what gender combinations you will have in your family. So, men with more brothers tend to conceive more boys and men with more sisters will conceive more girls. I read the article you had posted up, Atomic, and I was wondering if that is the only study on this that has been made?

My ex had a brother (generally came from a boy-heavy family), but we had a boy and then a girl (she was a total surprise as we were both sure she was a boy). My current OH's parents are separated. His dad has two daughters - one with his mum and one with his new wife. My OH's mum has a daughter with my OH's dad and a boy with her new husband. I was told to go on the dad's genes, so in this case my OH only has two sisters. His little brother doesn't "count" as he was conceived by his mum's new husband (who has two brothers).

So, would you say our chances of conceiving a girl are high, taking this into account? We conceived a son a year ago, to which everyone was surprised as we all thought he was a girl!:think:

a&jmummy
April 11th, 2013, 09:41 AM
i don't know but it did not work for me ! i have two daughters DH has an older brother and an older sister bgb
DH dad is the second son in bbgb
DH grandad was an only child !
so in theory i should have had boys !!
his sister had the boys not me lol
may i ask you a question ?
i see that you have bgb , did you sway or not ? was your lifestyle any different ?

Pearl327
April 11th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Both my mum and dad come from boy heavy families and they had 6 girls. My DH's dad is from a family of 10 boys & 4 girls and his mum from a 2 boy 2 girl family and they have 6 girls and 1 boy

dloui128
April 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't even know since me and DH are both only children

shiningstar
April 11th, 2013, 10:50 AM
My dh has 3 sisters (one is from his dad's previous relationship). So far we have 2 boys. Hope this one is our girl!

Tindra
April 11th, 2013, 12:44 PM
i don't know but it did not work for me ! i have two daughters DH has an older brother and an older sister bgb
DH dad is the second son in bbgb
DH grandad was an only child !
so in theory i should have had boys !!
his sister had the boys not me lol
may i ask you a question ?
i see that you have bgb , did you sway or not ? was your lifestyle any different ?

I'm almost a swaying opposite with all of mine, but I didn't sway with the first two! I only swayed mildly with DS2 as I really wanted another girl, but didn't do diet or timing, just avoided big O and did shallow release. Quite a poor sway, haha!

I wrote this in another thread too, but I'll post it here too:

First of all, I have been a vegetarian since 1995. With DS (born 2000) I had recently lost over 25 pounds and had just completed 6 months of backpacking in India (hence the weightloss!). I was eating very healthy, low fat veggie food,as was OH. With DD I ate normal veggie food, but the month she was conceived I had bad yeast infection for most of the month - hence my PH should have been very high! With DS2 I was eating a vegetarian low carb diet, so maybe a little unintentional boy sway there, but not much. I had recently lost 20 pounds when he was conceived, so again, not very accurate.

None of them have been conceived through obtaining an orgasm either, if that makes any difference. My DS we BD several times a day, wasn't trying for a baby, just very much in love! DD was conceived when I had a yeast infection, so we barely managed to BD a couple of times that month, and nowhere near O! When we were ttc her I was OPKing and regimented BD every other day throughout the month, except the month she was conceived! DS2 was very regimented too, BD daily around O.

Tindra
April 11th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Interesting to read about everyone's families! Doesn't seem like there's much in that "truth" then..? I swear there was some research on it though...?

ThreeMenAndALAdy
April 14th, 2013, 02:08 PM
My dh and I both have one sister each. We are having our 5th baby, and 4 of them are boys.

bunnywabbit
April 14th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Oooh... am intrigued! Have often wondered this too. My DH has a brother, then his parents divorced and his father's new wife went on to have two more boys. My side was more evenly spaced - my mother had GBGB, although my side of the family in general had more girls - my aunt has 4 girls and a boy!

This will be our first child we're currently TTC. Really thinking I'm going to have a boy when it's time, but DH and I would love a little girl - win-win for me! :wink: Would be interesting to see if there's any correlation...

XXdreaming
April 14th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Dh comes from a VERY heavy boy family, he is one of 3 brothers, his dad is one of three brothers, his uncles had 2 boys each, dh grandpa had 3 boys and one girl BUT my dh is the only one that had boys out of his brothers, my dhs brothers had all girls (one had 3 girls the other had 2 girls) AND we all live in the same city so environment change can't really play a role, so dont know what happened there, why we had all boys passed through us but his brothers only had girls?

My family is more girls, my pat grandma had 2 boys and 4 girls, I have a brother 2 sisters, my dad siblings had more girls then boys my mom has a sister and one brother, my mat grandma is one of 3 sisters, her sisters had more girls then boys, girls outnumber on my side

Wanting-a-girl
April 14th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Tends to be true for me but I think it's a fluke... I have three bros and they all had girls and one has one son

5boysandcounting
April 15th, 2013, 06:53 PM
This is true for me. My dh has two brothers. One has one son and the other has two sons, no daughters. We have 5 boys and have been told this ones a girl!!

atomic sagebrush
April 19th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Hm i thought I had answered this, I'm sorry.

I do not believe this to be the case. men make 50-50 X and Y sperm and I saw dozens of DH's get "sperm tests" for thousands of dollars and it was 50-50 every time.

That study is highly annoying to me because all it was, was a study of old family trees and yes, some families had more sons and others had more daughters. This can be explained many other ways (diet preferences, lifestyle, social status) that have nothing to do with genes.

It makes NO evolutionary sense for there to be "boy genes and girl genes". The first time a war came through and most of the guys got killed off, that would be a genetic dead end for the family that carried them. Much more sensible for women to be able toa djust the gender of the children they conceived to which gender has the best chance of survival.

If it came down to genes, there would also be some tribe or ethnic minority out there where the people were closely genetically related somewhere that had mostly boys or mostly girls and yet no such group exists. It's abotu 50-50 wherever it goes.

atomic sagebrush
April 19th, 2013, 01:44 PM
To answer the question, my greatgrandma had 6 daughers and 2 sons. Her daughters and sons both went onto have about 50-50 sons and daughters (some had all boys, some had all girls, some had both) My mom had 2 girls and one boy (she had 3 but lost one) and my dad has 2 girls.

My husband's grandpa was from a boy-heavy family and had 5 sons and 1 daugher. But all his kids had B-G pairs. And all their kids (my husband's cousins) ALSO had B-G pairs or 2 girls. We were the only ones who had all boys. But everyone kept saying, oh it's genes, it's genes. If you ask me, that is one hell of a selective gene to have skipped over everyone else and settled onto just US esp. since I come from a girl-heavy family. It doesn't add up.

50-50 boys and girls DO NOT mean that everyone will ahve 50-50 boys and girls. Some people will have all girls, some all boys, some half and half, some 3/4 and 1/4, and eveyrhting you can possibly imagine. The "genes" explanation does not make sense.

XXdreaming
April 19th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Atomic I was wondering that yes men produce 50/50 but maybe for some reason they have more abnormal xx sperms(or xy)? That don't function well enough to even make it to fertilize an egg? So I guess what I am asking when men went and got their sperm tested where there equal amount of HEALTHY xy and xx sperm? Because I was thinking that even if they produce equal amounts but maybe if you sort all the bad ones out it tends to be unequal amount, so say they produce 10 xy and 10 xx, but 8 xy were healthy and 1 xx was healthy(of course we know its in the billions), and maybe there is a gene that causes that? And that's why some families seem to have more boys or girls?, does my question make sense? Lol

atomic sagebrush
April 21st, 2013, 12:44 PM
Haha I've been searching everywhere for this thread!

Yes, they check the overall health and well being of the X and Y sperm when they do an analysis.

It is possible that there could be some difference between a guy's X vs. Y sperm (genetically) sure, but I personally doubt it, firstly because X and Y sperm are actually just one big XY sperm for most of their development and something that is wrong with one of them, would affect BOTH of them. Secondly because since men only HAVE one X chromosome, and the Y chromosome doesn't really do anything other than say "make me a dude" if there was something fundamentally wrong with X, I kinda doubt hubby would be a healthy person.

Lastly, I think I mentioned this before but just to reiterate, a family that put all their eggs in one gender's basket in terms of handing down genes, put themselves at a huge disadvantage, esp. if that gender is MALE. Males are always getting killed off prematurely and have been throughout time. They've tested genetics and only 40% of males ever reproduced. The majority of the men who have ever lived, died without having a single child. It would be idiotic for genes to hook themselves to that train wreck. If you were a man or woman who could only have boys, your gene pool woudl have died out a long, long time ago. Being able to shift the gender ratio of your offspring on the basis of environment and which gender has a better shot at surviving and reproducing, makes sense. Being locked into having all/mostly boys in a world where only 40% of them ever live to hand down their genes, is a dumb strategy that would have quickly led to the dying out of the families that carried those genes. It HAS to be environmental, not genetic.

IF there was this gene, it would have gotten handed down and you would see some country, ethnic group, or tribe out there that was having all or mostly one gender vs. the other. But there isn't. The gender ratio hovers at about 50-50 regardless of where you go.

4BOYS
April 22nd, 2013, 07:44 AM
:agree: Thank You for your post Atomic because i am soooo sick of people telling me to give up trying and not even bother with HT because my husband "only makes boy sperm" IDIOTS :mad:

Dreaminboy
November 17th, 2017, 06:11 PM
My gran had 4 boys and my mum, my mum had two girls with my dad, but my dad went on to have 3 boys with his new wife. If it was down to sperm you would think he would of had more girls.
I really believe it has to do with ovulation, I ovulate day 15. Before I new all the information I do now we would baby dance between 12-14 got two girls. Never on or after ovulation. (Coincidence maybe!)
Interesting about all the diet stuff too because looking at the boy sway I didn't eat any of it! And was forever skipping meals!
And it seem boy mums seem to graze all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throwaway_panther
November 18th, 2017, 06:39 AM
My gran had 4 boys and my mum, my mum had two girls with my dad, but my dad went on to have 3 boys with his new wife. If it was down to sperm you would think he would of had more girls.
I really believe it has to do with ovulation, I ovulate day 15. Before I new all the information I do now we would baby dance between 12-14 got two girls. Never on or after ovulation. (Coincidence maybe!)
Interesting about all the diet stuff too because looking at the boy sway I didn't eat any of it! And was forever skipping meals!

There's a lot of research debunking sex around ovulation as what determines gender.

atomic sagebrush
November 19th, 2017, 02:07 PM

Timing doesn't work and has been debunked as thoroughly as something can be debunked scientifically.

genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-general-discussion/7691-trouble-timing.html

atomic sagebrush
November 19th, 2017, 02:07 PM
hmm my link isn't working genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-general-discussion/7691-trouble-timing.html

atomic sagebrush
November 19th, 2017, 02:09 PM
hmm not sure why that link isn't clickablehttp:// genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-general-discussion/7691-trouble-timing.html