PDA

View Full Version : Ok this is quiet random

motherofboys
April 15th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Are older men more prone to one gender than the other? I don't know maybe because certain levels in their bodies increase with age or in some bid to pass on genetics.

I'm only 26, but my DH is 44

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Older dads may father slightly more daughters but it is certainly nothing to count on. :)

motherofboys
April 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Ok thank you, it was one of those weird things that popped into my head, DH and I had been talking about men losing hair last night and he said it was weird how it doesn't happen to women. I remembered being told bald men had more testosterone and it made me wonder if certain levels rose as they got older.

hotdogz&boyz
April 15th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Actually male-pattern baldness is marked on a gene that is sex-linked (but not in the actual sex chromosome). It has been speculated that women who are heterozygous (it is extremely rare, although not impossible for a woman to receive two copies of the gene) for male pattern baldness often have PCOS and that is a sign that they are generic carriers for it. Which means that all throughout their lives the individuals who are marked with the gene for male-pattern baldness would have higher levels of testosterone (as we know women who have PCOS are naturally higher in testosterone), not necessarily only when the hair starts to fall out. Thus it not likely that all older men produce more of one gender, although it IS possible that men who have male pattern baldness will produce more males throughout their lifetime, given their slightly higher testosterone make-up (if it is even enough to make a real difference, which I have no idea about!)

That said...I know older men, with and without signs of baldness, who produce both male and female offspring. I do think there are plenty of aspects of swaying that hold far more weight. :)

motherofboys
April 15th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Its just something we were talking about really. My DH still has all his hair, but was saying how you can see on little boys that the area where hair first goes at the sides of the forehead is naturally thinner and lighter if they have it very short. Like its ready to go as soon as they are old enough. It was a random observation he was making that just got me thinking if hormone levels effected it and if so if it was enough to effect their likely hood to produce more of one gender than another, rather than having anything to do with swaying.

iluvmy4sons
April 15th, 2013, 07:16 PM
My husband and his fraternal twin brother have been going bald since early twenties. He is 38 now and almost completely bald on the top. We have had 3 boys together and this one is a girl.I am 36. His brother has one daughter who is 7.

1+2+3boys
April 16th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Interesting observation. My partner is 41 and 16 years older than me and we have had boys together and he has a bald spot. I hope the bald spot does not make him make more boys because I want a girl so much and was hoping the older he got, the more likely we would get one

motherofboys
April 16th, 2013, 04:55 AM
I think from what I read above that starting to go bald when they are older is more just an age thing than a testosterone thing although I might have got the wrong end of the stick.
I really hope you get your girl.

trifecta
April 17th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I would think aging would lightly sway pink for men as it does for women but I have seen no hard evidence. I would guess that it would be because Y sperm are somewhat more likely to have defects especially with age so you might be less likely to have a viable male embryo, but again I'm just theorizing. Anecdotally, my dad had a girl at 36 and another (me) at 44 and he is bald. My brother is bald and had BGB in his 20's. Good luck!

pebmcpd7
April 17th, 2013, 06:49 PM
My Dad is Bald and had B,G,G,G, he had his hair when he had B and bald when he had Girls!!
Also my DH is 11 and half years older than me (51) and we have all boys, he also he a very high sperm count!!
I have no hope :( :(

CherryBlossom
April 18th, 2013, 11:13 AM
My partner is only 23, has a very high receding hair line and starting to go very thin. We have two boys. Like someone else has said, I was hoping the older dh is the more chance we had at a girl =/
His grandfather is bald and has three boys.
His other grandfather has one girl. And his uncle who is also a baldie has one daughter. Who knows.

atomic sagebrush
April 18th, 2013, 11:22 AM
1)The hairline has nothing to do with baldness, there are people with very high hairlines who don't lose their hair. Some guys have that "widow's peak" hairline that looks like it's receding even tho it isn't.

2)We have done polls both here and on IG and baldness/hair doesn't seem to be related to gender in any reliable or predictable way. Something else is going on (Bruce Willis!!!)

CherryBlossom
April 18th, 2013, 11:52 AM
That's just something my MIL always says, oh he has such a receding hairline he will end up bald in his 20s just like his uncle did. Yadda yadda. I don't know much about baldness besides listening to her say that every time we see them. In saying that his hair is getting rather thin on top lol.

Oh come to think about it. My dad had a very very high receding hair line ..... Two girls.

Satox3
April 19th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Glad to read about the polls...I often wondered that too, as dh is bald/balding quickly and I would like a dd.