PDA

View Full Version : Emelia or Emilia?

my4leafclover
April 16th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Which spelling do you like better. With the middle name Elizabeth or Grace. Amelia is out since I have an old friend whose dd is that name. We are not super close but enough that it wouldn't feel right.

possible nicknames: Emmie, Mia, Mila, Lia

nuthinbutpink
April 16th, 2013, 08:29 AM
She will spend her entire life correcting people spelling it Amelia. I am not a fan of alternative spellings. It's a real pain to constantly see your name spelled wrong!

And it's pronounced the same as your friend! Just changing the spelling doesn't seem to make a big difference. If you like Amelia, name her Amelia!

mrs magoo
April 16th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Emilia

nuthinbutpink
April 16th, 2013, 09:22 AM
If you pronounce it saying the "e" as a long E sound, E-milia- then definitely Emilia. That's a character from Shakespere's Othello!

Kiara
April 16th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Emilia for sure!

my4leafclover
April 16th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I like the "E" start and sound better than the "A" the more I look at it. I love the name Emma (have since ds1) but it is so so popular and with no real nicknames to differentiate in case dd ends up in a class with 3 other Emmas. So I can use Emma as a possible nickname too. I am not worried about the spelling correction. I have learned that people will misspell the simplest of names, and more unusual names as well as unisex names are so much more common now. you have Aiden Aidan, Connor, Conner etc.

Am3a
April 16th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Emelia, nn Em.

It's a lovely name! :-)