PDA

View Full Version : I could find out tomorrow... should I??

KidAtHeart
April 17th, 2013, 08:09 PM
To sum up my situation - we found out with first two (GD was bad with the second half of second pregnancy), so then I decided not to find out with the third. GD hit pretty hard after he was born. I swore I would find out if I ever had another. But then the time came... and I was enjoying the pregnancy so much, I didn't want to find out. I feel much better prepared for GD this time (last time I didn't even know these websites existed or that so many people felt like this), but still, I know I will be upset if I find out it's another boy. I know I will get over it, too, and move on.

Tomorrow I get my last ultrasound (I'm 30 weeks). My husband wants to find out but said he would defer to my wishes. He wants me to find out too so I'll be prepared. Mentally. Plus, then we could paint, shop, etc.

But now that I've come this far, the idea of having a surprise is enticing. Sure, it would be practical to find out, not to mention to have some time to come to terms with it before announcing to the world what we had. But I don't know - I've beaten myself up for 30 weeks now with not knowing and preparing myself for a fourth boy, but still with a little hope that it just might be a girl.

Advice??

grace03
April 17th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Hello,
I have 3 boys and just found out about a suprise 4th pregnancy. My first i didnt find out and my next two i did. I think that if you got this far then wait , however if you think you coped better finding out then do that , it sounds like you found it hard not finding out with your third but then you also sound better prepared now too. it's so hard isn't it! i have no idea what to do about finding out about this one. hugs and best of luck whatever you decide and hope you have a healthy happy baby ( and i hope you get your girl)xx

Nachelle
April 17th, 2013, 09:36 PM
I wanna know now! lol I said I was going to wait (this is my 4th and I have 3 boys as well) But Im going crazy and I have high levels of anxiety from it. I just need to know if I have to accept a house full of weiners or be excited about my 1st baby girl. But youve waited until 30 weeks!! Congrats! I woulld say go with what feels right to you. I really hope you get your little girl!!!!! :)

Rainbow baby
April 17th, 2013, 10:02 PM
I don't know, If I was you, I would find out tomorrow just because you had problems when you left if a surprise before!!

ocean
April 17th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Agreed - I would find out now. I didn't find out with DS2 - who I had been sure was our last baby - and I found myself looking up HT strategies in the days after while in the hospital! I too was proud of myself getting so far and decided to just wait until the birth - plus I'd told myself I thought it was 95% sure to be a boy. But it turned out my brain had been hanging onto that 5% chance more than I realized. I think you've done just the right thing by waiting until 30 weeks...10 weeks more than the 20 week scan, which I think is really too early if you don't get the news you're hoping for.

hotdogz&boyz
April 17th, 2013, 11:04 PM
I agree...a surprise is really enticing. I thought about it. But in the end, I realized I spent a lot of time envisioning the surprise being a girl and how I would feel about it. And thus I realized that I was not likely to be fully prepared if it was another boy and I wanted time to come to terms with it. My ideal of a "surprise" was to be hopeful for the pregnancy and get what I wanted in the end. But given I had a 50-50 shot of that going horribly awry (and potentially spoiling what should be a beautiful moment of meeting my child), I decided I needed to handle my emotions beforehand and that it was more important than wanting a surprise.

So, I think if you really evaluate the reasons behind your desire for a surprise, the answer will come to you. Some women love the suspense, love the moment of announcement and love telling everyone afterward. No matter what the outcome. Some I do think are setting themselves up for failure when they are trying to avoid tough emotions and end up dealing with them 3-fold while trying to cope with a new baby and a whole other set of hormones on top of the GD feelings.

That said, I don't, for one second, regret finding out this time. Granted, I am getting what I wanted. But I think it would have been fine if I weren't as well. I think I needed time to adapt if it was another boy and I do feel I would handle his birth so much better if I found out first. I am having a good time planning for a daughter. And sure, it would have been cool to find out in the delivery room. But it wasn't worth the risk to me.

Niva
April 18th, 2013, 01:36 AM
I'm not sure I agree that you should find out. I have the exact same question and worries about finding out vs not finding out, but I plan on staying team green until delivery (and I'm not even pg yet!) But I do also wonder if that is the right decision... Come back and post here about your experience either way, after the birth!

I did find out for ds1 early on, at 14 weeks, and I had horrible GD the whole entire pregnancy. Like ocean, I started researching HT as soon as I found out. (And here I am now merely swaying, lol.) The long wait to meet my son just drew out the GD for me -- I couldn't get over it until I had to start living in the moment rather than imagining how I would feel in the future. I think I would have done better finding out at delivery and having less time to obsess and over-analyze all my preconceptions about what boys are like and whether I had the instincts to mother a boy.

Now that I know all those fears were unfounded, I realize that I still desperately want a girl so I can have the other experience too, but I'm not afraid of having another boy. I would, rationally, be very okay with another boy and this time I know I would love him to bits right away. But, it's my nature to obsess about how bad I might feel if xyz happened, so I'm a bit nervous about how I'll feel in the delivery room with a surprise opposite. Still probably better than I'd feel with all those extra weeks to grieve in advance, though, with all that bad feeling piling up on me before the new baby was there to dispel it and force me to love him. :)

But if you are the kind of person who CAN come to terms with your GD and actually get over it before the baby is born, like pinkin did, then by all means, find out now. And hotdogs has a very good point about analyzing your reasons for keeping a surprise. If it's because you're picturing your joy at having your dg, the consensus seems to be that you'll be in for a big fall. But if you think you are pretty much at peace with having an opposite, AND you feel better equipped to handle disappointment in the moment rather than draw it out and build it up beforehand, it may be better to wait. At least that's my plan and reasoning. I don't expect to have zero disappointment at delivery, but I'm working on visualizing having an opposite so I'm better prepared. I'll probably be in ocean's shoes, with the 95%/5% situation, but I think that may be personally better for me than having GD during the remainder of the pregnancy. (I think! But I'm still unsure too!)

1+2+3boys
April 18th, 2013, 03:38 AM
If you want a surprise then I would do it. I have three boys and do not know what it is like to have a surprise and really want to know how a surprise feels with my next that will be my last. But how to cope after the birth if it is a 4th boy?

I came up with a little plan to hopefully help with my GD if it is a boy. I don't want anyone to announce the sex when the baby is born or make it so I accidently see when the baby is passed to me. I want to look into my babys face and bond/get to know and love it before I know the gender. I will look myself when I am ready. I feel then if it is a boy I will still have had my special momment after the birth that was not tainted with any negaitive feelings and hopefully make it easier to come to terms with it after I know.
Goodluck on what ever you decide and I really hope you are carrying your little girl :)

pinkin2011
April 18th, 2013, 04:24 AM
1+2+3Boys what a fantastic idea!!! I think I may steal that one from you as id love to have a surprise aswell oneday ! If i can be strong enough

heidih1977
April 18th, 2013, 08:05 AM
I personally think it is better to find out before the birth so you are prepared and not dealing with GD on top of a newborn and all the other emotional and physical changes after giving birth. I found out 8 weeks ago at 20 weeks that I am having boy number 3. Believe you me, I spent the those first 20 weeks secretly convincing myself it was another boy in the hope I would be better prepared to deal with hearing another boy, but I must say I was absolutely crushed and it has taken me/ or is still taking me all my time to come to terms there will be no little girl of my own in my life. DH wasn't too keen on number 3...I pushed it, so there is no chance of number 4. I never thought I would be a mom of all boys, but there you go, that is what fate has thrown my way. I am so glad I did find out because I wouldn't like to imagine my mental state had I waited until the birth. Plus at the end of the day none of these little people ask to be born and if we as adults decide to create a life then we should be prepared to give that little life everything we possibly can in the way of love, care and attention. My two boys are very special to me and I wouldn't swap them for anything. I am this next little one will be very special too. I do hope you get your girl. Every mother does deserve one.

KidAtHeart
April 18th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Thank you for all of your responses. I think I'm in the 95/5 situation. Either way, I am not planning on telling other people if we do decide to find out. I have a baby shower coming up, and if I do get pink outfits and I know it's a boy, I know that will be hard for me to cover up in public. I am thinking of having them write the gender down and then we can defer the decision but have control over when/where. Maybe after my shower the weekend after next?

Hotdogz, I know exactly what you are saying. A friend of mine just had a girl after three boys and had that 'special surprise' in the delivery room. I'm sure she did want a girl but she did an awfully good job of covering up if she had GD. She seemed to be at peace with having a fourth boy. And while I know her mental state has absolutely nothing to do with the baby I am carrying, I can't help but think she deserved to have a girl bc she didn't need it as much. Isn't that ridiculous? It's a 50/50 shot no matter what, it has nothing to do with who is more deserving. Terrible things happen to people every day that don't deserve it and wonderful things happen to terrible people. Not that I think having a healthy baby is terrible in any way, but just to make a point.

To be clear, although I know I will have some disappointment if it's another boy, I have three great sons already so I'm not worried that I won't bond with him or love him any less than my other kids. Kids are kids, and we all have good days and bad, good stages and bad - whether or not it's a boy or girl. But the desire to have a girl is so strong... sigh... I'll keep you posted on what we decide to do. Thanks again for all of your responses! It's so nice to not feel alone with these crazy emotions.

motherofboys
April 18th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I am finding out, as early as possible, whether this is boy number 4 or not. I did contemplate not finding out but I got so upset at the boy nub guesses, this is the first time I have experienced GD and it has hit hard, I still don't have confirmation as I'm only 14 weeks today but still I'm pretty sure its a boy and cut up about it.
I had depression after my 2nd son (not related to GD) and I get so scared of it happening again because of GD, I didn't bond with my son until he was 2 years old. I don't want to feel that about this child just because his a boy. And with how upset I got I know I would be really upset to hear boy at the birth. Its best for me to have time to get used to the idea.
Only you know how you feel and how well you would deal with another boy if you got to the birth and heard "it's a boy" so only you can make that decision.
I have always wanted a surprise but just found reasons not to keep it a surprise every time LOL

Mrs_P
April 18th, 2013, 03:06 PM
good luck with whatever you decide kid, i think if you can wait and you know you'll be fine either way the surprise is very tempting - something i've never been strong enough to handle

BUT the main reason i never waited was because i never wanted to be disappointed at birth, i've met all my boys with nothing but excitement. I don' think you can ever escape gd if you have a strong desire and the idea of feeling upset when its a potential baby always seemed better to me than feeling upset or anything but pure love for my actual baby (any gd had always gone by birth). Although hearing boy would be hard now at least you have enjoyed your pregnancy and you have 10 weeks to deal with things and enjoy the birth!

Either way good luck and keep us updated, hope you enjoy your scan and babe is well x

Niva
April 18th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Well put, Mrs_P. I guess it just comes down to whether you think you would actually get over the GD by finding out earlier. For me, that was not the case. I found out at 14 weeks and still did not get over the GD until DS was a couple months old. I think I would have gotten over it faster if I had had less time to focus on it and build it up during pregnancy. But everyone is different; only you know whether you will be able to properly digest your GD in advance if you find out, or whether your GD will last past the birth regardless.

KidAtHeart
April 18th, 2013, 09:54 PM
So we got an envelope with a picture of the gender... the envelope of torture that we have not opened. On the one hand I like knowing that I can have an answer whenever I want. On the other, it's like having a huge piece of cake in front of you that you can't touch. Hugely tempting. My husband has been feeling very overwhelmed lately. I think that if I found out I'd be doing him a favor. My baby shower is a week from Sunday. Maybe I'll find out after that. As much as I want the surprise, it might be better for me if I could wrap my head around any disappointment ahead of time.

1+2+3boys
April 19th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Exciting, I couldn't stand that torture, I'd have to know. I like that it is a picture rather than written down. Will be a nice keepsake

kpmum
April 19th, 2013, 12:58 AM
What a great thing to do. If it was me I'd choose a night with just DH and me, have a lovely dinner- a romantic night in. Open up the letter together. If its not the outcome u hoped at least u can curl up in his arms and have a good cry. U will also have time to get ur head around it and get excited. If its ur DD u can go crazy shopping x

vickyaust
April 19th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Your so strong. I would be ripping that envelope open now!

KidAtHeart
April 30th, 2013, 05:32 PM
So I've decided that I really ought to find out beforehand. I was sitting in a chair the other day and I was imagining holding my new little baby in my arms. I got a wave of emotion that I might be looking at him and feel a little sad that it's not a girl. As much as I would like the surprise, I feel like I really owe it to the little baby, and myself, to sort out my feelings ahead of time. Take out the sting so that I can enjoy my little one as soon as he's born.

There really is nothing left to wait for. I had my shower over the weekend. I gave myself a deadline (Mother's day) to find out. But as long as I'm not too tired/cranky tonight and that my husband has some energy too (he's away for the rest of the week), I think I may open that envelope tonight. Scary! It's been comforting to have that envelope to know that I could end the uncertainty whenever I want. Also super scary! I'm excited to find out and to just *know* - but super nervous too.

I just saw a friend who has three boys. I didn't even know she was pregnant again - but today I found out she's having a little girl. And another friend just had a girl after three boys. As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm convinced that they've "taken" all the girls so for sure it will be a boy. A part of me still is clinging to hope, but now I think that it would be in my best interest to just find out and come to terms ahead of time if it's a boy. It will be hard to keep the gender a surprise from everyone else though!!

Nachelle
April 30th, 2013, 08:22 PM
FINGERS CROSSED!!!!! :) I hope you see the magic word... Girl!! :)

1+2+3boys
April 30th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I'll be thinking of you Kid at heart and I hope you see a picture of a little girl. The fact that you know two people who have just had a girl after 3 boys should show you that it does happen and good things often happen in threes. If you see a picture of a happy little boy, I hope you can come to terms with the loss of your dream so you can focus on him when he arrives. Either way, good luck but I'm really hoping pink for you :)

hotdogz&boyz
April 30th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I hope you feel great peace no matter which way it goes.

I get the whole "they took the girls" idea. But bizarrely...FOUR of my friends of two boys are currently expecting a girl next. Not one, not two, but four! So clearly it doesn't matter what others are having. You could be that third person having a girl after three boys!

That baby is really lucky regardless. You are very in tune to your feelings and how it might affect him/her and that makes you a fantastic mom, no matter any minor disappointment you may or may not feel about gender :)

katewantsagirl
May 1st, 2013, 04:28 AM
Have you opened?? I really hope you get your girl xx

Adia
May 1st, 2013, 11:00 AM
Just so you know Kidatheart, the suspense is a whopper!!:nails:

:bigsmile:Whenever you're ready!!

KidAtHeart
May 1st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Seriously, what is wrong with this thing? Or me? This is the third try at replying. I must keep hitting the wrong thing.

Anyway... by the time the boys were in bed last night it got to be late. I told my husband that we had to talk names first, which he didn't get at all. But I feel very strongly about this. I don't know, it's like... when I walk into Gymboree and don't feel like I'm able to walk around 3/4 of the store because I'm not in that club. Silly, right?

So anyway, he said he really didn't want to find out just before he was going out of town and leave me alone to be upset. So he suggested waiting until the weekend so we can do it when we're not exhausted and then have some time to talk about it after. And to be honest, I am relieved that we didn't open the envelope. Sure, it's kinda killing me not to know. But I didn't really want to know, either. And not so much for the 'surprise', but because I just didn't want to deal with it if it's a boy. I had the surprise for baby #3, and really, it wasn't all that. I was very excited to have the baby and to meet him - the gender was really an after thought. It wasn't until I was alone that night that I cried myself to sleep. A couple of my friends had the surprise and it was a girl, and it sounded like it was one of the best moments of their lives. If I had a girl, I bet it would be for me as well. But if it's a boy... well, I just don't want to taint his birth with any disappointment. I don't really want to know, but I feel that I *need* to.

I'll post after we find out!!

Adia
May 1st, 2013, 12:37 PM
Good for you finding out on the timeline that is best for you!

FWIW, I feel like all the stores are biased to me too. I was at a children's resale shop yesterday and thought there were more girl clothes around the corner but hence it was the boys section, and I know I can't shop there.... :sigh:

I'm one of those that 'needs' to know too. It is enough excitement for me to meet the person I created at birth so I need to know the gender before hand. Especially if I can get prego with DC4. I need to know either way, it will still be special meeting my new pumpkin, but i will need time to cope or let it sink in either way!!

Let us know girlie! We're all anxious for you!!

OneLastDream
May 1st, 2013, 04:11 PM
Good luck - inreally hope you see girl xx

prayforaboy
May 1st, 2013, 05:01 PM
i would find out ..... I had GD when I found out at 20 weeks and now at 27 weeks I am doing a ted better. I would have hated myself for reacting the way I did when my precious girl was born.

Tree
May 1st, 2013, 05:02 PM
How exciting and stressful too... Good luck!

oxox2013
May 1st, 2013, 05:49 PM
Oh my. I just read this entire post and it is honestly amazing some of the things you said. I could have written them myself. I selfishly have thought over and over again "man I hope they get a boy so I still have a chance at my girl!" I mean really?! What the heck is wrong with me? I have just as much of a chance as they do to get my DG... I just sometimes feel that luck it not always on my side. Recently I have began to see things in a different light. I hope everyone gets what they truly desire. I really believe that we should be able to experience both genders if that is what we truly want!

Anyway reading your posts has brought me into your story and I feel like I just watched my favorite show (because it sounds so much like my own) and I am hanging on waiting for this cliffhanger to end!! Good luck Kid, I am really pulling for a girl for you!!!

1+2+3boys
May 1st, 2013, 09:38 PM
I also feel very deeply for you kid at heart because I can see myself as you in a couple of years time. I have three boys and will be trying one more time only so in a way can relate to how you are feeling. I am hoping so deeply that you get your girl because I know how it feels to want one so much. It is painful.
I thought you may not be able to find out that night too! I also had a tough night getting all my boys to sleep. (10.30!) It will be nice to find out with your hubby and he can help you get the boys to sleep in time and you can have a nice calm evening where you can both focus on the envelope and you. :)

pinkin2011
May 1st, 2013, 09:41 PM
1+2+3boys when were your twins born?

katewantsagirl
May 1st, 2013, 10:33 PM
Good luck!! I seriously dont know how you are waiting!!! Haha i would have ripped it open a long time ago. You still have an awesome chance at it being a girl and i really really hope SHE is x

1+2+3boys
May 2nd, 2013, 12:27 AM
1+2+3boys when were your twins born?

2nd June. They turn one in exactly a month! I'm treating them like they are my last babies-just in case

KidAtHeart
May 2nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
Wow, it's so comforting to know that there are other people out there who feel this way! It's so odd to think about something like this SO much and not be able to share it with anyone in real life. I mean, when we were moving and I was a stress basket case, anyone and everyone asked me all about it and let me vent to my heart's content.

Also, just thought I'd share a story from my baby shower last Sunday. We had a chair masseuse (cool, right?). He asked the usual - when are you due, is this your first, do you know what you're having, what do you have already, blah blah blah. His response? Oh, you know you're having a boy, right? You'll just be outnumbered for the rest of your life, ha ha. And the thing is, I'm not even angry with him. This is just the acceptable societal answer to my situation. Ha ha, you won't ever have a girl, so suck it up, Boy Mom. I mean, really? Why is this? If I announced I'm having a girl, everyone would be thrilled. If I announced boy, people expect there to be no disappointment and to be automatically accepting of my fate, when even they are feeling disappointment for me. It's weird.

Planning to find out over the weekend - fingers crossed!!

Nachelle
May 2nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
YAY! I cant wait to hear! I totally understand all the comments I laugh it off but in my head Im like wow your a dick! Im known as Chell and the boys. lol Which I dont mind I just want Chell and the boys and a lil girl! :) I feel like Im going to be in your shoes next month. I didnt get any clues at my 14 week scan, so I am going to have them put it in an envelope. My friends want me to have a gender reveal party but Im going to have to pass, and DH wants a surprise delivery but I dont think I can wait that llong. SO i am going to have some decisions to make pretty soon! Well good luck this weekend!!!!! :) ll be stalking!!! :)

katewantsagirl
May 3rd, 2013, 01:21 AM
Isnt it soo weird that when you hear someone is having another boy youre sort of dissapointed? I cant even explain why. I have teo and no doubt a third on the way and so i know that they are amazing but a friend just found out shes having her 2nd boy and i kind of felt bad for her because i know she wouldhave wanted a girl. Boys are the best i dont know why its the way it is!!

KidAtHeart
May 4th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Hi girls,

Well, I totally psyched myself up for this moment. I held the envelope in my hands and started to cry in anticipation of seeing 'boy', my husband right beside me. I opened the envelope... "it's a girl!!" A girl! I can't believe it! I really can't believe it!! It so easily could have gone either way and I just can't believe that it went in my favor!!

For anyone on the fence about finding out, I'm definitely glad I did it this way. I knew I needed time to process my GD feelings if it were a boy. And I'm glad I didn't find out at 20 weeks either, because 20 weeks of GD is hard. And even though I got what I wanted, I had to do what I needed to do to prepare myself if this were another boy. I would have been so mad at myself for leaving the hard emotions until after delivery. Because even though the surprise was so tempting, the truth is it was always more about not dealing with the hard emotions.

Until I give birth, I don't think I'll truly believe that this is a girl and I pray that this baby is a healthy one. I sincerely hope that you all get what your heart desires!!

nuthinbutpink
May 4th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Congrats!

ocean
May 4th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Wonderful wonderful fantastic joyous news!!!!

I felt such joy for you, reading this!

Your thought process btw makes a lot of sense and will be helpful for others. We were team green for our 2nd and I probably would've found out a couple weeks before my due date, in hindsight. No one needs 20 weeks of GD but it would've kept me from researching HT while in the hospital! (I think you tried HT? If so, triple congrats - anyone who tries everything is brave and inspiring!)

Dana-Alicia
May 4th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Im so happy for you! Congrats! And btw I would have also been happy for you had it been a boy. People can be so insensitive, but the fact is its a little baby, sweet and innocent, a joy to have (and a pain sometimes as well lol).

Adia
May 4th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Oh girl, that is just fantastic news!!! I am so happy for you. I am sure you are still in shock but you'll get past it!!
Congratulations!

Nachelle
May 4th, 2013, 12:53 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im so happy for you! CONGRATS!!! You give me a little hope! :) Congrats again! :)

Tree
May 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Wonderful news, huge congratulations!!!

Wishful thinking
May 4th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Wow! I've been following this thread in anticipation of you finding out and I'm so happy you're getting your DD! What was hubby's reaction?

Gimmeapinkone
May 4th, 2013, 05:06 PM
I have also eagerly been following your thread. Congratulations! You must be so happy!

vickyaust
May 4th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Tears of absolute joy for you. I am thrilled. Enjoy every second of your beautiful girl pregnancy.

Congratulations.

1+2+3boys
May 4th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Oh wow, yay yay yay! Wonderful news and so good to hear that it can be done. Best wishes for a healthy rest of the pregnancy and soon you will have your much longed for daughter in your arms!

kpmum
May 4th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Amazing news. U must be absolutely thrilled. Now time to buy some pink!!!

katewantsagirl
May 4th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Yaaayyyyy almost cried from happiness for you xxxxx

aroundtheworld
May 5th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Congratulations mama! What beautiful news for you and your family. :)

6bluewant1pink
May 5th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Congrats!!!

hotdogz&boyz
May 5th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Huge congrats! I am so happy that you made the choice to work through it either way. I think it's wonderful if the surprise can be all you imagine it to be. But taking the risk is not worth it with a beautiful baby to love, boy or girl.

I am delighted you got your desire. I know you are on cloud 9. Enjoy the few weeks of prep before you meet your little lady :)

Bigwish
May 5th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Yaaayyy, i'm so happy for you! You must be over the moon! I felt your exitment through my iPad, have tears in my eyes, hope i'm in your position someday.... Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy! And enjoy shopping for that little girl in there ;-)

KidAtHeart
May 5th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Thank you all so much! If you think about it, you are more likely to have the opposite after several in a row of the same gender. When you flip a coin, odds are greater that you would come out with both heads and tails, not one streak of heads. Does that make sense? I know a TON of people who had a girl after three boys (I can name six, not including myself, off the top of my head). So, it IS possible! Yes, we did go HT and although it failed and it was emotionally draining and expensive, I'm not sorry we did it. I'm shocked that this happened naturally! My middle son is convinced it's a boy (we didn't tell anyone yet), because "my tummy is used to having boys" - and that's kinda what I thought too :)

My husband is thrilled as well. He says he's mostly just happy for me and that I am "less scary" now, ha ha! But I know he's really excited to experience having a girl. This pregnancy has really taken a toll on him. He has been very anxious about having a fourth. I know that this news really has eased the burden. And while he was (reluctantly) willing to go HT, he wasn't really on board with a natural conception. He was never an adamant 'no', which surprised me. I figured after we had three, he would be done. He would have been fine to stop - it was me who kept pushing. But he never flat out said to forget it, either, which is why I kept pushing. Now if I asked for number five, I can bet that it would definitely be a 'no'! And that's okay because five is more than I can handle (and I'm the fifth child in my family!). Even if I were having a boy, I would not go for a fifth.

We haven't decided if we are going to tell anyone in advance. On the one hand, it would be kind of awesome to share the news. On the other, I think we would have to tell the whole world (and not just a select few) and that would open up all the questions about why we waited to find out. It would be one thing to tell my mom and sisters that we needed time to process, but to open that up to everyone we know - ugh. I've been trying so hard to keep GD in the closet! And I can't really think of where to draw the line in telling people.

Again, thank you so much for all of your encouragement and support! If I had gotten the opposite news, I know this forum is where I would be wallowing and it's so comforting to have friends out there who are so sweet and supportive!

1+2+3boys
May 5th, 2013, 07:46 PM
You could always say you couldn't wait any longer and had to open the envelope, no one has to know about the GD. It will be exciting to keep it a secret too! I must admit, I felt a bit jealous of you when I first read your message and also sad for myself that I might not be so lucky but now that is all gone and I am purely excited and happy for you. (please don't be mad at me!) When you conceived naturally, had you been swaying or even trying? I am just hoping that the coin flip thing will be true for us too and it is time for the opposite

Yuzu
May 5th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I am so, so happy for you! I'm crying tears of happiness!

iluvmy4sons
May 5th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Congrats on your daughter. I am having my 5th, but my husbands 4th. My husband always made comments like we don't need another baby, but I told him I thought I could get pregnant and he did not stop so he was not adamant about it either. I will not truly believe it either until she is born. Have fun shopping.

Butterfly Spirit
May 5th, 2013, 11:35 PM

zebaniee
May 7th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Congratulations! Your story has givens me hope :)