PDA

View Full Version : Broken nails?

Flava
April 22nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
I never had strong nails really but the last 3-4 months was ok.
Now my nails are so broken , ,chipped and split in so many pieces omg so ugly!
Is this because of the boy diet? Would this be a good sign for the diet working or I just suppose to eat more calcium and that's it?

nuthinbutpink
April 22nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
From Dr Google-

Brittle Fingernails and Vitamin Deficiency

The most common cause of splitting or brittle nails in most people is the lack of vitamins and other nutrients in a diet.

Dermatologists claim that they see several instances of cracking, peeling or splitting nails due to vitamin deficiency on a daily basis. Therefore, there are several women, who make sure that they boost their intake of vitamins for strong nails. However, in order to take the right vitamins for nails, it is important for people to understand what the composition of a nail is. The nails are made up of protein, known as keratin, which is also found in the skin and hair. Therefore, it is only natural that the nails will require protein, to be able to grow properly. Apart from protein, the other vitamins for nails growth are Vitamins A, B complex, C, D, E, iron, calcium, zinc and iodine.

Most people deal with vitamin deficiency nails, by increasing their intake of foods that are high in nutrients, such as fruits, vegetables, meat, nuts, dairy products, and so on. There are some people who also take supplements and additional vitamins for nails skin and hair. However, it is important for people to take the right doses of vitamins for nails and hair and skin too, or else they could suffer from the negative side effects of an overdose. It is best to get the condition checked by a doctor or a dermatologist who can analyze the severity of the deficiency and can then prescribe the right supplements.

At times vitamin deficiency can affect nails ridges and nail beds even after dietary changes have been implemented.

Flava
April 22nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
Well this is very interesting because I eat a lot healthier now ! Then how come I have this ?? I eat a lot more fruit and veggies,meat, dry fruits and nuts too! And I stopped drinking soda , only drink juices, green tea , water , soda water , v8 . So looks like I suppose to have lot better nails NOW not before!
The only thing not on this is I eat little dairy and I don't take vitamin sups yet.

TTC5
April 22nd, 2011, 10:45 PM
Im the opposite my nails seem to be growing faster lol and my leg hairs!!??

My Fabulous Children
April 23rd, 2011, 02:05 AM
Flava, interesting,

TTC5 I know that some boy supplements can boost hair growth.

Flava
April 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Im the opposite my nails seem to be growing faster lol and my leg hairs!!??

They are growing (don't know if faster or not) but breaking like crazy!

TTC5
April 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Flava, interesting,

TTC5 I know that some boy supplements can boost hair growth.

Last few weeks my leg hairs are growing crazy!

nicnee1976
April 26th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I am the opposite, my usually brittle nails are growing faster and stronger since pg!!

atomic sagebrush
May 1st, 2011, 12:28 PM
Honestly I don't know the answer to that flava but I thought gelatin was supposed to be great for hair and nails.

I have HORRIBLE nails that are always splitting and breaking so I hope that this is a sign that you're in a more boy-friendly place than you were!!!

Flava
May 1st, 2011, 02:04 PM
Honestly I don't know the answer to that flava but I thought gelatin was supposed to be great for hair and nails.

I have HORRIBLE nails that are always splitting and breaking so I hope that this is a sign that you're in a more boy-friendly place than you were!!!

Hope so!!tnx:HH:

Flava
May 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Ok weird...now I have itchy dry scalp too!! I always had oily hair had to was hair like every 2 days. Now I still have some but only need to was hair like in 3-4 days and my head is so itchy I have to scratch it all the time:rolleyes: and my nails still horrible .
I don't get it aren't we suppose to be more oily and have stronger nails and so ?
Maybe this works the other way for some of us ? ( I really hope so)

Flava
May 7th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Or should I stop the diet and all because it lower my test. and not making it higher? Im confused.

atomic sagebrush
May 7th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Do not stop the diet!!! There is no way that you're the one exception!

The itchy scalp could even be caused by oilier skin, not dry skin. Or, it can be caused by allergic reaction - is there any new supps you just started that you might be allergic to?

Flava
May 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Im only taking 1 fish oil , vit. E and 2 gelatin cups. Just added grape seed , wheat grass and BY. But I have the itchy scalp for like a week at least . I just don't get it...:sad:

TTC5
May 7th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I have oily scalp and skin now too AND itchy scalp so much I keep asking my DH to check for head lice lol.

My Fabulous Children
May 8th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Im only taking 1 fish oil , vit. E and 2 gelatin cups. Just added grape seed , wheat grass and BY. But I have the itchy scalp for like a week at least . I just don't get it...:sad:

Really?! I don't have anything like that ..I've been taking the supplements for a long time.

atomic sagebrush
May 8th, 2011, 10:26 AM
You can take something for a long time and suddenly become allergic to it - if it is an allergy it will start to get worse.

Flava
May 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Im not allergic and I only started to take this sups for like a month.IDK...maybe it will change and I see better results, because so far this whole ttc suks...

My Fabulous Children
May 9th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Im not allergic and I only started to take this sups for like a month.IDK...maybe it will change and I see better results, because so far this whole ttc suks...

I agree with you the whole ttc suks :(

purplepoet20
May 10th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Your hair, nails, skin problems can all be because of the hormones in your foods... before hubby I was on a very limited diet and after I met him we went on a more balanced diet (for me it was more meat then before). But I did have dry scalp and chipped nails that cleared up after about 9mths. It could also be your body being affected by the change in food you did go from a high calcium diet to almost no calcium. You ask your dr to check vitamin levels if you are concerned... but I think the diet is working really well for you if you have that many changes.

Flava
May 10th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks purple I hope that's it! I do the diet good and that's why the changes...only Im not getting more oily Im getting more dry because I was oily before? Also my skin is so dry now I scrach my leg and it's all white my skin is falling all over like snow. (yeah nice:rolleyes:) And I have no clue what kind of lotion we can use?:think: I don't go to the doctors only when Im pregnant or very sick. Well don't remember last time I saw one..if I just have a cold or so I don't go. ( but wait I will go to a birth center when i get pregnant so no doc for that either lol) I take good vitamins and sups so Im ok with that.

atomic sagebrush
May 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I always use Cetaphil lotion (they have a cheaper kind at drugstores too) and I know you can conceive a boy while using it!!!

Also Aveeno lotions have oats right in them, that can't be a bad thing!!!!

Flava
May 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I love good smelling lotions lol I use nivea normally. But I go get aveeno like that oats idea!:wink: