PDA

View Full Version : When exactly do you have the PGD results?

CrystalTipps
April 23rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
Hi there, I am hoping you can answer my question. If you did Egg Retrieval at 8am on Day 1, when exactly would you have the PGD results? For instance, would you have them on the evening of Day 5 (ie day before Embryo Transfer)? If so, at what time (roughly)? Also, do you get all the results from all of the probes at the same time?

I am asking because I am due to fly to the US the night before Embryo Transfer and if there is nothing to transfer I will just cancel my flight. It would be awful to leave my family, travel all those thousands of miles and spend all that money for nothing.

Many thanks.

Carole
April 23rd, 2011, 06:19 AM
Dear Crystal,
This is a very important question that your physician should be able to answer because the IVF program is usually guaranteed genetic lab results by a specific time precisely so that the transfer can be scheduled. The time it takes to get the results will vary by the type of probe being used and by the lab's protocols. In my own experience which is only a rough guideline, if we did the PGD biopsy on day 3 (where day zero is retrieval day, day 1 is fertilization check day), we had results back by noon on day 5 so we could schedule early afternoon transfers on day 5 (or in your calendar scheme, day 6) . Single probes might have results back 24 hours earlier. But again, you really need to get the exact information for your case from your medical team because there are differences in how both genetic labs and IVF programs handle this. I wish you all the best!!! Carole

CrystalTipps
April 23rd, 2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks Carole, that's really helpful.

nuthinbutpink
April 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
Crystal, I *think* Dr Lin has his own lab and if you are just doing 5 probes or less with FISH, they can have them the next day with an inhouse lab, so day 4. RBA in Atlanta has them day 4. You can still wait until day 5 to transfer when they should hopefully be at a blast stage.

CrystalTipps
April 23rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks NBP. I am trying to work out exactly when the results come back, as my flight leaves at 2.15 am (3.15 pm California time) and lands at 7.45 am (16 hrs 30 mins later). So, if we got the results back by, say, 1pm on Day 5, then I could decide whether or not to come out.

I have asked RFC, but they have been very vague.

lindi
April 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Just to jump in- with all the $ you're spending anyways what if the flight was delayed or cancelled? Maybe you should plan on coming out a little early just to be safe even if you end up with a NT... you will also have a better idea of how many you might have by how many are retrieved and fertilize, etc.

threeatlast
April 26th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I agree isn't it abit risky flying last minute, it would be more disappointing if your flight was delayed and your embryos ended up being frozen , sorry don't mean to be negative , but you should have a better idea when they have done egg retrival and fertilization so, by day 3 you should know how they are travelling. I really hope this is your turn, you have had enough hiccups to get this far. GOOOOOOD LUCK :luck: :luck: :luck:

CrystalTipps
April 26th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I know what you are saying, but after our last disastrous cycle where 7 out of 8 of our embies were abnormal, I am less hopeful of a transfer this time. Especially as our donor's AFC seems to have plummeted. It's not just the air fares, I just can't bear being away from my family.