PDA

View Full Version : Having babies close together make opposite sex

CherryBlossom
April 19th, 2013, 08:30 PM
I cannot remember for the life of me where I heard this.
I looked at a lot of my friends who conceived their SECOND child before their first child's first birthday. The friends I can at least remember, all got the opposite sex. Even my aunts!!!

We got pregnant just days before my first sons birthday. Got another boy. I thought I'd wait a few years and hope my body changed and joked saying hopefully DP creates some girl spermies.

Do you think there could be something to it or just pure coincidence.

Most the people I know who got pregnant within those first few months after birth all had boys to begin with and then had girls. I put it down to lack of sleep, lack of going out, breastfeeding, and the formula fed bubs maybe they were so busy with a new baby they didn't eat as much as they should be or had ?
The one who had a girl first then a boy. Well I know first hand she was under a huge amount of stress relating to her partner and turned to bad foods.

So do you ladies know anyone who's fallen pregnant within those first 12 months of having a newborn?
Was it opposite sex or same sex?

Lolly55
April 19th, 2013, 11:11 PM
I too really wonder about this! I have 8 friends who have been in this situation in the past few years (18 months or less age gap). 6 out of the 8 have had the opposite sex and mostly it's been girl after boy. May be a conincidence but you have to wonder whether being tired/not having time to perhaps eat properly, busy with baby etc contributes. Who knows. My baby due in 3 months is arriving 18 months after my second son and dont know gender as we chickened out of finding out. Nubs were girlie and we cldn't see anything sticking out at scan though.. Interesting.

mommymachine
April 19th, 2013, 11:47 PM
DS3 was 10.5 month old when I got pregnant with DD.
However, MIL had
DS1 then 15 months later had
DS2 (my hubby) then 19 months later had
DS3 then 22 months later had
DD. son it wasn't true for her

CherryBlossom
April 19th, 2013, 11:53 PM
DS3 was 10.5 month old when I got pregnant with DD.
However, MIL had
DS1 then 15 months later had
DS2 (my hubby) then 19 months later had
DS3 then 22 months later had
DD. son it wasn't true for her

Makes me wider if its just the first couple of months after having bubs? Like bubs - 8 months say?
Clearly nothing certain but, seems to happen a lot

hotdogz&boyz
April 19th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Hmmm. Sorta worked for me. I concieved this baby 11 months after giving birth and am having the opposite sex.

BUT, my aunts two boys are only 11 months apart (she concieved in the first 6 weeks) and my grandmas oldest two girls are 15 months apart.

I can think of examples for both sides of that coin.

sbowman
April 20th, 2013, 12:01 AM
It's true for my mil. All her babies are less than a year apart or just over a year. She had boy girl boy girl.

Cinss
April 20th, 2013, 12:04 AM
I could see it happening more where there is a boy 1st then a girl as your body would still be depleted of nutrients and stores of vitimins etc after just having a baby.

Rainbow baby
April 20th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Plus breast feeding sways pink as well!

Dreamofpink
April 20th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Plus breast feeding sways pink as well!

When ds1 was a baby I knew a girl who had a full-term boy then conceived almost immediately and had another boy. There was only 9 months between her two ds as her ds2 was born at 26 weeks. She's gone on to have 2 girls and another baby this year and her ds1 will turn 6 in Aug :eek: I've lost touch with her as we moved away but she was always super skinny but very young. Her middle 3 kids were all v prem too. Hth

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

Dreamofpink
April 20th, 2013, 05:02 AM
When ds1 was a baby I knew a girl who had a full-term boy then conceived almost immediately and had another boy. There was only 9 months between her two ds as her ds2 was born at 26 weeks. She's gone on to have 2 girls and another baby this year and her ds1 will turn 6 in Aug :eek: I've lost touch with her as we moved away but she was always super skinny but very young. Her middle 3 kids were all v prem too. Hth

Btw she never breastfed her two oldest.

dloui128
April 20th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I conceived DD2 when DD1 was only 8 months old

BabyGirl4Me
April 20th, 2013, 09:50 AM
I actually heard the opposite, that having another baby close to your first is more likely to produce the same gender - hence the expression "Irish Twins." (I mean no disrespect to the Irish as most of my ancestors came from Ireland.) ;) Anyway that's part of why I waited to conceive.

zem7
April 20th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I had my DD and only 4 months later found out I was pregnant with my DS1. I was BFing and on a farely good diet. We did not expect me to get pregnant so soon! I was going to start taking the pill the month I found out I was pregnant also. Should have started earler, oh well lol.

XXdreaming
April 20th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I was breast feeding 14 month old ds3 when I conceived ds4, and know lots of one gender families that popped theirs out every year trying to have their gd, so idk I would like to know if there is a scientific reason though

pebmcpd7
April 20th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I have 6 boys and as you can see from my signature, there is a year between most of them, so I say no that theory is wrong!!!!

6bluewant1pink
April 20th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Not for me! DS #1 was 4 months when i got pregnant with DS#2 :)

Kiara
April 20th, 2013, 07:38 PM
I have heard that you are more likely to have the same gender of the babies if you have them close together. Seems to be true for a lot of people I know (but not for all)

pinkdreamer
June 3rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
Sorry hun, this wasn't right for me, I got pregnant with DS2 when my DS1 was 3 months old, but I suppose there are always opposites to every theory x

zem7
June 3rd, 2013, 03:03 PM
I had DD 2/28/06 and had DS1 5/21/07. So yes that worked for me. We weren't trying, just had not started the pill yet..oops lol.

harleyquinn
June 11th, 2013, 11:03 PM
I had 4 boys in 6 years while breastfeeding and losing massive weight (30+lbs) each time except the first, obviously. Then two more boy pregnancies very close a couple years later. You'd think one of these times, the swaying theories would work for me...but NOPE!! (also conceived after miscarriage many times, 8 in total)

crazyladyneedsababy
June 12th, 2013, 03:09 AM
this is not true for me DS1 was 7 months when I fell pregnant with DS2 and one off my friends (shes on here) was the same only her eldest was 6 months xxx

Ittakes2
June 17th, 2013, 01:40 AM
2 of my friends and I, have all conceived our second children before our first turned one, we all got a baby of the same sex as the first! I was still breastfeeding when I conceived my second and got another beautiful boy :)

sushikitty
July 2nd, 2013, 04:06 PM
Makes sense...My daughter (2nd born) and son (3rd born) are Irish twins.

atomic sagebrush
July 2nd, 2013, 04:14 PM
I do think there's something to it but it's in no way reliable. I had a 4th boy with my closest age gap and got my girl after a 2 1/2 year gap.

minimatron
July 2nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
All my girls are under 2 years apart, conceived before the other turned 1 and I have three of the same gender. We waited a little while longer for this one and its a boy.... I think it had more to do with my sway attempt than anything else.

LUVBEBI
August 1st, 2013, 01:44 PM
My SIL has three kids. DS#1 was 1.5 yo when she had her second child DD#1
Then a year after her second kid, she had DD#2 which she concieved when her baby girl was 3 months old. So 50% chance for her.

Raining
August 1st, 2013, 02:03 PM
My boys are 15months apart. So, not true for me.

meeks32
August 2nd, 2013, 08:59 PM
Not true for 3 of my girlfriends who had babies 10-16 months apart and all had 2 girls!!

Kidsx7
August 22nd, 2013, 09:22 AM
Not true for me for the most part. DS 2 was 5 mos old when I concieved DS 3, DS 3 was 4 mos when I got pg with DS 4. DS 4 was 6 mos when I got pg with my dd so that one was right :)

Jessicahawk
October 2nd, 2013, 01:58 PM
Unlikely, my boys are 10 1/2 months apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

3littleladies
November 5th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Coincidence!

sjbroadley
November 20th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Not true for me, Fell pregnant with Ds2 when ds1 was 10 months old, fell pregnant with ds3 when ds2 was 8 weeks old. I have all boys not sure of gender of this baby until friday! but didnt conceive until after ds3's first birthday

maria02
November 23rd, 2013, 05:04 AM
Dunno
Thinking back through my friends with a 20 month gap or less-
Girl- boy 18 month gap x 3
G-B 17 m gap x 2
G-B 12 m gap x 2
G-B 20m gap x 3
Boy- girl 20 m gap
B-G 12 m gap
B-G 17m gap x 2
B-G 18m gap x 2
B -girl twins 12m gap
B- twins boy/ girl 19m gap
G-G 17 m gap x 3
G-G 18 m gap x 2
G-G 19m gap
G-G 20m gap x 3
B-B 18 m gap x 2
B-B 16 m gap x 2
B-B 12 m gap

(I think I must talk to a lot of people...didn't realise I could think of that many!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

atomic sagebrush
December 10th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I actually heard the opposite, that having another baby close to your first is more likely to produce the same gender - hence the expression "Irish Twins." (I mean no disrespect to the Irish as most of my ancestors came from Ireland.) ;) Anyway that's part of why I waited to conceive.

Sorry I missed this post the first time thru but just to quickly elaborate on this...I've heard both theories and neither is really accurate and here's why.

On paper, getting pg very soon after a previous pregnancy should tend to sway pink due to your body being depleted and declined a bit in fertility due to postpartum and possibly breastfeeding. So this would mean if you have had a boy you may be more likely to have another boy, and if you have had a girl, you may be more likely to have another girl.

HOWEVER, the problem is that the people who are truly declined in condition/fertility are not able to conceive to begin with and this eliminates a fair % of girl pregnancies overall (not eliminated, but simply that those pregnancies are not conceived). The women who are able to get pregnant right after a prev. pregnancy are generally those who are in better condition overall, have regained fertility quickly, and thus are more likely to conceive a boy. So overall, the % still stays around 50-50, but I still believe it sways pink overall to conceive quickly after a previous pregnancy.

dreaminginblue
February 11th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I only know of 2 examples of this where it went girl-girl, interesting theory if you're trying to sway pink