PDA

View Full Version : How do you avoid upsetting people?

RKT Mama
April 21st, 2013, 06:23 AM
I am 32 weeks pregnant with (hopefully) a baby girl after 3 boys. After years of GD and watching friends announce their girls on Facebook, I finally get to do it myself.
But I am acutely aware of the pain it has caused me over the years and aggravated my GD when my friends have had girls and I haven't.

I only told my friends and family 3 weeks ago so haven't actually mentioned my pregnancy on Facebook yet and probably won't at this late stage so there will be a number of surprised people when the baby comes.

My friends have a selection of girls, boys and both and while I don't know if any are struggling with GD, I don't want to upset anyone but at the same time I am dying to be excited and show her off when the time comes.
Any thoughts?

HopefulMonster
April 21st, 2013, 08:16 AM
Honestly while I think you are being very kind, I wouldn't give it another thought!

It might sound awful but in my eyes we can't go through life worrying about everyone else all the time. I celebrate mother's day even though it might upset those who have lost their mothers, I celebrate valentine's day even though it might upset those who are single and alone, I celebrate wedding anniversarys though it might upset those who have recently divorced or been widowed, everything I say or do has the potential to upset someone, so show off your beautiful daughter and shout it from the rooftops. While some people may be jealous/upset, you deserve to be happy, your daughter deserves to be celebrated, and you can take heart that everyone else would do the same in your position <3

HopefulMonster
April 21st, 2013, 08:17 AM
deleted - for some reason it posted my reply twice.

I Love Ladybugs
April 21st, 2013, 08:21 AM
You are so thoughtful! It must be exciting to be having a little girl on board and I get that you would want to share that with your world!!

The FB announcements of baby girls that "bother" me are the ones at 20ish weeks that they go on and on about pink. Example, coworker and FB pal is expecting her second child...has a boy, now a girl on the way....and it is baby girl this, baby girl that. It seems to me that her son takes second place and the baby isn't even here yet.

The mommies that post both pics of their sweet boys and little daughters have me loving that....your daughter gets her day in the sun too on her arrival for sure!! And not every picture needs her clothed from head to toe in pink...lol, that is the other little thing I have noticed.

Do remind me that if I am preggo with a girl to do the same when the time comes!! You are so considerate.....but I am sure that your friends will rejoice in the arrival of your pink bundle and be excited for you!!!!!!!!

RKT Mama
April 24th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Thank you. You are quite right. I will celebrate her just like my gorgeous boys.
At the same time I do have to admit she will wear a LOT of pink. I have waited 11 years to buy pink and at least till she is old enough to have a say, I can dress her up. If she turns out anything like me she will never wear pink or a dress again but at least I will have the baby pictures!

Adia
April 24th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Hopeful monster is right, you can't limit your joy because others may be in a bad place. You were once in a bad place too and now is your time to celebrate.

I am keenly aware of the impact of "baby gender announcements" on FB as a few in particular have sent me spinning into deep despair. I do think you are being extra kind and thoughtful of those who may be suffering GD also. BUT when your DD is born, she's here and that is to be celebrated!

FWIW, if it was me I would wait until she's born and then proudly announce her on FB and show her off doused in pink!!