PDA

View Full Version : SILs

Liv
April 25th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Mine are annoying and I cannot relate to either. Both are one uppers. One thinks she knows it all about parenting and has one child who can do no wrong:sigh:. The other thinks she knows it all about nutrition and exercise and as I am discussing ingredients in something she is making yuck faces and telling me what's wrong with my recipe.

DoulaMama
April 25th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I could go on and on in this thread......but I won't because I complain enough about one of them as it is.... ;)
I feel for you! One has a child through adoption and I have no issues at all with her :) She's very sweet and doesn't judge(or if she does she doesn't say anything :)) and the another is judgmental and bitchy and always has really awful things to say to my family. She told me my DS1 looked like an alien at 3w old. And then she laughed. She made me feel terrible for doing certain things, like help her with her wedding crafts...I finished the last 2 for her(as a surprise as she wanted to get them done but had to go out and get other wedding things done...I had nothing to do and was at my IL's house where the crafts were so I thought I would help her out:)) and then she cried and told me that SHE wanted to do them...even though she had done 75 of the same thing for 3 days before....

She's a total cow. Anyway.....hugs to you...I have zero in common with any of my SIL's. It's kinda sad.

LolaInLove
April 25th, 2011, 12:48 PM
OMG I once had a SIL (ex-dh's sister) who was just like that, DM! She flipped at me for helping with wedding stuff that SHE wanted to do, and then had a nervous breakdown 2 days before the wedding, requiring me to do EVERYTHING. This is all with a 2 year old and a 4 WEEK old baby in tow (and bfing all night, of course)...while ex-dh sat on the beach all day with the cousings drinking pina coladas. I still fume when I think about how selfish that crazy family is. I can't believe your SIL, or hell, anyone for that matter, would say your baby looked like an alien and laugh! That would have sent me over the decorum edge and I would have kicked her in the taco!

Liv, first of all, that is the cutest pic of your DD as a little mermaid, if I am seeing that right. I feel for you, because not only can I not stand women who are one-uppers in general, I can't stand it even more if it's family members. I am so not a fighter (even though it sounds like it from taco comment above!) but I have become a bit more thick-skinned in the past couple of years and have gone out on a limb a couple of times and given people a piece of my mind. And it always works, especially when done in a classy manner, meaning no cursing or calling names, you know what I mean. I hope you can either say something next time they annoy you, or you can learn to ignore them....which I am terrible at.

purplepoet20
April 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM
My bro's wife thinks she knows it all... They moved into the middle of no where into a house that no one should live in, but she claims they will build a house next summer. Talks about all the things a house should have (high class house) or it isn't a home. They are Christain which is ok but they think that their church is the one true church and all others are wrong, like me a Catholic. They are homeschooling which again is ok but my SIL thinks that her kids need to do all kinds of subjects and bought so many things to teach her 5 year old so Kinder has turned into 12mths of school everyday (6-8hrs). She told me that I shouldn't teach my kids the basics of all religions because they will grow up with no beliefs. I shouldn't sent my kids to the school I have chosen for them because they wont learn to read until 1st grade (I love it for that reason) and they will be behind, she doesn't know that the kids in that school enter high school ahead of everyone else. I shouldn't let my kids decide what they want for lunch because they can't make good choices... my son loves salad, tuna sandwiches, and bean and veggie burritos. She called me a bad mom because my youngest is still BFing. I haven't seen her in almost 5 years and she has never met my kids but she sends me long emails every other day about what I should be doing.

My hubby's 1/2 bros wife... Is odd! She never gave her daughter any sweets, breads, or meat. She claimed the baby was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance at 6mths old but all the Dr's and Naturalist I have called said that is not possible (must be 18mths). She is now suppose to have been healed of the gluten intol because a holy man blessed her ??? But anyways they went vegan and over Thanksgiving when we made the turkey and ham my SIL told her daughter she can't eat it because they were baby piggy and a baby bird. When my then 2 1/2 year old ask her to get him some ham she told him no because he shouldn't eat baby animals, poor James cried so hard he got an upset stomach... My MIL flipped because she doesn't like the way they chose to talk to their daughter about eating meat and they shouldn't force their veganism on a child that isn't theirs. My SIL always tells us that if we feed our kids meat and breads they will be fat. Her daughter is 4 and very very under weight with no muscle mass or energy to play. My boys or about 25% for weight and 50% for height they eat about 3-4oz of meat, very little sweets, and about 1 serving grains a day because they like fruits and veggies more.

LolaInLove
April 25th, 2011, 01:00 PM
OMG Purple, I LOL about the baby piggy and baby bird.....what whackjobs! I hate to say it, but their poor daughter is going to be a hot mess someday.

Liv
April 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Lolainlove, my avatar is just a pic I found that I thought was cute :).
Glad I am not the only one with annoying relatives. I LOL'ed at some of these:rofl:.

I just can't stand competition with kids. When I hear people brag about how their children learned to read at 2, despise candy, never fight or argue, etc...makes me want to gag!

purplepoet20
April 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM
A child that learns to read to early will 1. not like reading much later (like my 9yo neighbor) and 2. lack other skills that are learned in the toddler years... I think it would be interesting to see a 2 year old who can read and I would love for my kids to be super smart. But I love that they are active, can make their own decisions, observent, and everything else that comes with let them be "who they are".

A peice of some kind of sweet now and then is better then an 18yo who goes crazy for candy just because they are finally on their own.

A perfect child is a child that is trained/programed/brainwashed and will never learn to express themselves!!!

... just now my prefect little well behaved monsters... 3yo takes car away from lil bro, lil bro picks up another car and bangs it on big bros head. They are so sweet and loving!!!

LolaInLove
April 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM
WELL SAID, PP!

A smart child is not just one that knows how to read at 2 (which is bull anyway.....no kid can read at 2, the parents are lying if they claim that). I'd rather have a HAPPY kid that is well rounded....and rarely do I see the children of people like your oppresive in laws that way! They always seem anxious and overly sensitive to me.

And your little "headbangers" are doing just what happy little boys should- having fun and being social and silly with each other!

Flava
April 25th, 2011, 04:24 PM
She is now suppose to have been healed of the gluten intol because a holy man blessed her ???
OMG:rofl::rofl:

Me and my SIL we don't talk at all and they live far away .So all is good.

Liv
April 25th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Me and my SIL we don't talk at all and they live far away .So all is good.

I am jealous!

boyjoy
April 25th, 2011, 06:04 PM
My DH has only one sister and she is nice to me i m nice to her, she loves my kids and takes care of them like her own kids, i am doing the same as well. Have to say, i see her once a year or 3 weeks at summer vacation. :) This can be the key.

DoulaMama
April 25th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I can't believe your SIL, or hell, anyone for that matter, would say your baby looked like an alien and laugh! That would have sent me over the decorum edge and I would have kicked her in the taco!

OMG I'm still laughing at this!!! I actually laughed so loud my hubby came upstairs to see what was going on!!LOL!!
I can't wait for her to have kids so I can let her know what her kid looks like at 3 weeks old....maybe she'll clue in and remember what she said to me 5 years ago. What a miserable woman.

I totally agree with you about becoming thicker skinned. I have totally gone from a girl that went with the flow, to someone that really stands up for myself, family and friends. It feels really good to have a back bone!

DoulaMama
April 25th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I just can't stand competition with kids. When I hear people brag about how their children learned to read at 2, despise candy, never fight or argue, etc...makes me want to gag!

Me too. It seriously makes me ill when I hear other moms compare their kids to others like pieces of Grade A meat~
"Sally went to gymnastics and flipped into the foam pit! Can Henry do that???"
"Um no, Henry doesn't go to gymnastics. He's not really into that kind of thing....he'd rather read about nuclear physics...."
Barf.

Glittergirl
April 26th, 2011, 12:20 AM
A child that learns to read to early will 1. not like reading much later (like my 9yo neighbor) and 2. lack other skills that are learned in the toddler years... I think it would be interesting to see a 2 year old who can read and I would love for my kids to be super smart. But I love that they are active, can make their own decisions, observent, and everything else that comes with let them be "who they are".

A peice of some kind of sweet now and then is better then an 18yo who goes crazy for candy just because they are finally on their own.

A perfect child is a child that is trained/programed/brainwashed and will never learn to express themselves!!!

... just now my prefect little well behaved monsters... 3yo takes car away from lil bro, lil bro picks up another car and bangs it on big bros head. They are so sweet and loving!!!

Agree, Studies show that typical developing children will level off by third grade. So even if a child learns to read at 2 and another by 5 they will catch up by third grade (I'm not talking about gifted kids OR kids with learning disabilities) Just saying, all this push kinda levels off:)

purplepoet20
April 26th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I forgot to mention that my hubbys SIL signed her daughter up for baby music, dance, and swimming at 9mths. She started saying we should do the same so my then 1mth could have a head start. Not sure what he needed a head start in. I love the way they compare her to my boys it makes for a good laugh. I keep telling her that my boys get to do Scout and Sports at 6yo and Swimming at 4 or 5 and Karate at about 8yo... they said by then my kids will be to lazy to do anything.

Glittergirl
April 26th, 2011, 12:26 AM
By the way loved the taco comment! I have a SIL prob but feel bad for having it cause I adore all mine BUT.....She has one girl and ended up re-marryng and just had another girl (she badly wanted a boy:) Buhahaha) Anyway, she flat out stole the name Dh and I were going to give our "girl"! It was the ONLY name we would bring up with each and every pregnany "if it's a boy, it's this if it's a girl the name is this" SO when she found out she was having a DD she said "I'm gonna steal your name since I really like!" :mad: So out of character for but this has really put a dent in our relationship but she doesn't know it. DH told me last night that he actually hates that name and it's actually really ugly:rofl:. My whole family was shocked cause it was known as being my name ( By the way, its a unique name so it's not like she just thought of it last minute)! Sorry had to vent...:hair:I burn up when I think about it!!! When my DS's met their new cousin they told their aunt that was our name!!!! i actually don't like the name anymore

LolaInLove
April 26th, 2011, 08:58 AM
WHOA Glittergirl, name stealing within the family is a cardinal sin, I think. At least you are over that name though!

DoulaMama, glad I made you smile! :bigsmile:

purplepoet20
April 26th, 2011, 10:10 AM
By the way loved the taco comment! I have a SIL prob but feel bad for having it cause I adore all mine BUT.....She has one girl and ended up re-marryng and just had another girl (she badly wanted a boy:) Buhahaha) Anyway, she flat out stole the name Dh and I were going to give our "girl"! It was the ONLY name we would bring up with each and every pregnany "if it's a boy, it's this if it's a girl the name is this" SO when she found out she was having a DD she said "I'm gonna steal your name since I really like!" :mad: So out of character for but this has really put a dent in our relationship but she doesn't know it. DH told me last night that he actually hates that name and it's actually really ugly:rofl:. My whole family was shocked cause it was known as being my name ( By the way, its a unique name so it's not like she just thought of it last minute)! Sorry had to vent...:hair:I burn up when I think about it!!! When my DS's met their new cousin they told their aunt that was our name!!!! i actually don't like the name anymore

My bro's wife stole my name too... I got it back! I was always very close to my grandpa, he was my father figure which explains why it has taken a long time to find a bold guy my age to marry. But his name was James and I wanted to use it for a middle name. My brothers son was born 1mth before I got pregnant and when he called they said they couldn't find a good middle name. I mentioned my first sons middle has been picked since I was 9yo. He even mentioned yes I know you are going to name him after grandpa. The next day my bio-sister called to tell on my SIL. I may have said a few bad words and screamed a lot... When I found out I was pregnant I was going to use the name anyways but hubby said he liked it for a first name. I didn't tell anyone the name until he was born and I sent out pictures and the name. My SIL had the nerve to call me at 10:45 at night to yell at me about using her sons middle name. I was even more pissed because it was my first night home, I had just fallen asleep, and the phone wokeup the baby. I really let her have and told her (with bad words and a loud angry voice) that she could ask anyone in my family about the names I had picked for my kids, look at my journals, the poem I wrote about my grandpa, the million letters my grandpa and I wrote to each other, and that she could check her own emails about the names that my lil sister and I wanted for our kids (I gave up on Max when my sis said it is her favorite boy name). Right before she hung up she said "Well I used it first so your son doesn't have a name". In emails she says "Your son and Charles" and never uses the name James.

Sometimes I wish my bro would take his pants back and show his wife who is boss because she is so controlling, 10x's worse then my mother.

LolaInLove
April 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Jeez, Purple, I am so sorry! How awful. I just don't get it when family is not on your side. My parents may not have done everything right, but they did teach me that once someone becomes a part of your family through birth or marriage, they are a part of your tribe and you love and protect them NO MATTER WHAT. Well, stick up for yourselves, and that's the best you can do, kwim?

Glittergirl
April 26th, 2011, 06:33 PM
WHOA Glittergirl, name stealing within the family is a cardinal sin, I think. At least you are over that name though!

that's exactly my thoughts! I know i don't "own" the name but you would think people would be more creative and actually come up with their own names!! Ours had a meaning behind it and there was a reason we picked it!!!! She just decided to pull it out of her a** and use it cause it's a pretty name! And the fact that she had to rub it in that I don't have a girl so the name better get used....I was like "Helllllooooo we are not done having kids" In fact if she would have asked for my blessing, that would have been better. But YES I'm done with the name....I loved it for 14 years but it's dead to me now!!!

DoulaMama
April 26th, 2011, 07:29 PM
But YES I'm done with the name....I loved it for 14 years but it's dead to me now!!!
I feel the same way about my girls name! I've had it for 4 years now and although I still think it's beautiful and unique...it just feels wrong to use it after this many years. I think we'll find something new to use. And I love searching for names so it will give me something to do for the 9 mos of waiting and wondering.....Rhoslyn Lily was our name:)

Glittergirl
April 26th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I feel the same way about my girls name! I've had it for 4 years now and although I still think it's beautiful and unique...it just feels wrong to use it after this many years. I think we'll find something new to use. And I love searching for names so it will give me something to do for the 9 mos of waiting and wondering.....Rhoslyn Lily was our name:)

I love Lily!

DoulaMama
April 26th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I love Lily!

Me too! We will definitely keep Lily as our middle name as this is my MIL's name. She passed away 4 years ago from cancer.

lindi
April 27th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Whoa! Just read this thread! Purple! Glittergal! You poor things. I am reading this with my mouth hanging open. That is just so so wrong. I have three all very sweet SILs, (some sweeter than others), but I could not even imagine this kind of betrayal. Crazy.

Glittergirl
April 27th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Whoa! Just read this thread! Purple! Glittergal! You poor things. I am reading this with my mouth hanging open. That is just so so wrong. I have three all very sweet SILs, (some sweeter than others), but I could not even imagine this kind of betrayal. Crazy.
Yeah that's the funny thing! She totally doesn't get it and like I said it is totally out of character for her....besides this ONE incident I could never even have a single bad thing to say. She still is super sweet to me, never has said anything but kind words....I really think she did not realize how badly it hurt me! And to this day we still get along great as if NOTHING has happened. I'm blaming it on her pregnancy hormones cause this is the only time in my life that she has done something hurtful to me. Go figure!!!

purplepoet20
April 27th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Glittergirl... What was your name?

Doulamama and Glittergirl... What are your new girl names?

I am picking family names and I really like Madeline Louise, Hope, and Ashlynn for a girl. Ashlynn is my middle name and my DS2 has the name Charles which is his great-grandpas name and hubbies middle name so I figured I would add Ashlynn to the list... I am making a list of names and letting my MIL pick the one she likes. I really wanted to use the name Catherine, it was a cousins 1st name and my grandma and sisters middle name. My cousin died of cancer at 2 in 1968, my sis died of SIDs at 1mth old in 1978, and my amazing grandma died almost 10 years ago... but grandma believed the name to be cursed so I promised my dad I wouldn't use it.

purplepoet20
April 27th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I love Lily!

I know a few little girls named Lily and they are the sweetest little girls ever... I wish it was a family name, for Hope Lily.

DoulaMama
April 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Doulamama and Glittergirl... What are your new girl names?

I am picking family names and I really like Madeline Louise, Hope, and Ashlynn for a girl.

I'm not sure yet! I'm going to wait until I'm preggo to decide. I have a list of girl names but I don't have one I REALLY like yet. I like different names but not too different. All of my boys names end in "son" so we'll probably stick with the trend and name the fourth boy(if it's a boy ;)) something similar. Or something totally different like Jack! LOL

I love Ashlynn and Madeline Louise! So beautiful!

purplepoet20
April 27th, 2011, 02:33 PM
My neighbors friend has 5 boys and 1 girl... all with "son" names. I know there is Carson, Mason, Jackson and Madison.

Coccinelle33
April 29th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I so feel you. I have 1 sil and can't stand her. She has 3 girls and think her children do no wrong! We don't get along at all and never have. Im very close to my brother though. Thankfully my younger brother's girlfriend and I get along great. She's only a year younger and just sweet as pie!