PDA

View Full Version : New here, have technical questions...

Tilia
May 1st, 2013, 06:54 AM
Hello,

I am new here. I luckily have 3 adorable boys, two of which were conceived by insemination due too sperm issues. I have had early m/c between those 2.
After an adoption failure last year for baby#4 (who was a girl) and a recent surprised pregnancy that ended ip in a miscarriage, I am not exactly feeling the best. Obviously cant' trust nature or luck to expect a 4th child and would probably have to rely on science again for that.
Given the situation, i'm currently thinking that i might as well go for the full shot with overseas IVF / PGD.

I've been trying to read though the forum so far, and i have a few questions already :
- What is the difference between FISH 5 and Natura ? Would you recommend one over the other and why ?
- Is it better to test chromosomes at day 3 or day 5 ??? Or when ? I am a bit confused !
- Does chromosome testing reduce the risk of m/c or not at all ?
- Is the gender selection always accurate ? Do you know anyone who ended up being pregnant with a boy when they wanted a girl ?
- what does OHW stand for ? Same question with BFN ? N is probably for negative, but not sure of the rest.

I think that's all to begin with, thank you in advance and good luck to all.

Tilia, 37 yrs, mum to 3 little princes

nuthinbutpink
May 1st, 2013, 07:28 AM
Hi and welcome. I encourage you to become a Dream Member. There is a HT Guide in the Member section that will answer most of your questions and all of the past cycle information is located there.

OHW- One hit wonder

BFN- Big Fat Negative.

Day 3 Natera is no longer offered. You must use day 5 biopsy with Natera and freeze all embryos for a later frozen embryo transfer(FET).

FISH is the old testing method which only looks at X, Y, 13, 18 and 21 so all of the other chromosomes could be messed up but you will have no idea with FISH.

Day 5 aCGH with a day 6 transfer IS available. I would suggest that to you since you have issues with miscarriages that may be linked to chromosome issues. You need a really solid work up before starting this too.

Tons more info and people in the Member section.