PDA

View Full Version : birth photography

Atsaukina1
May 5th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Anyone plan on using one or have one before??
Thinking this is most likely our last and I just love birth photography. I don't have any other fam that will be here to take pics just my kids and dh and they will be in the moment with me. And really if you are not a professional or highly skilled with good camera pics just do not compare.
I can't really picture another person there but I don't think I'll be bothered by picture taking it will just be a lil weird. And of course the cost ugggg. So pros/cons cost ect.
Thanks

Bigwish
May 5th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Here in the Netherlands someone's has got her birth photogrhaps in a mom's magazine. I saw them, and i thought they were amazing!!! It was a friend of them who also was a professioanl photograhper. My main worry would be if i would still be comfortable with a stranger taken pictures of me during labour... I realy don't know.

I think i am goinh to film my next labour, just going to place the camera in a corner of the bedroom.

GL with making this decision!

Atsaukina1
May 5th, 2013, 02:41 PM
haha well I don't stay in one place usually.

Sihaya
May 5th, 2013, 03:21 PM
I had my second birth (a home birth) photographed and I loved it. My midwives asked me toward the end of my pregnancy if I'd be willing to have someone there to take pictures that the midwives and photographer would then use in their promotional materials and whatnot. I agreed and she took the pictures at no cost to me.

I didn't meet her until she showed up when I was in labor, but I was very comfortable with her (my midwife had been at 2 of her births as well and knew we would be a good match for each other). She was extremely unobtrusive and most of the time I didn't even realize she was there. The pictures were amazing and, unbeknownst to me at the time, she even took a very short video of him as he was born, which was very special and I really appreciate it. Now that I've had pictures from a birth (we had exactly one picture from my first son's home birth and it was taken after he was born), I'm spoiled for it and want them done every time.

As far as cost, I was pleasantly surprised at what she wants to charge me to photograph our next birth. It's not nearly as much as I thought it would be. She is also very open to bartering. I believe most photographers will give you some kind of break on cost if you are willing to let them use your (tasteful, of course) photos in their promotional material. My concern would actually be finding someone with birth experience who would know which moments to capture and how to capture them best without the pictures being really graphic.

Here's my photographer's page: Direction Studios Photography & Music (http://www.directionstudios.com/index2.php#/rgallery2/5/) If you go to Portfolio and click on Birth Photography, I'm the one in the dark sports bra in the last 3 pictures

Atsaukina1
May 5th, 2013, 05:38 PM
I found one, pretty pricey, but beautiful photos. She has done homebirths and had them herself. Cost sooo much money though and I am not a pciture kind of gal but I love natural pics

aroundtheworld
May 6th, 2013, 12:16 AM
As a photographer I've taken birth photos on multiple occasions and it's really a special experience for everyone. I have hired my own photographer to record the upcoming birth of my twin girls and she's fantastic. I like her a lot and I know the photos will turn out beautifully. She charges $600 (US dollars), but she came down $100 for me. Pricey, but worth it!

She came to one of my prenatals last weekend and took these:

Atsaukina1
May 6th, 2013, 04:30 PM
ugg well no can do- she said she had a special but even that is too much for me- I am paying out of pocket for birth and we have to move. her summer "special" was maternity,birth,and newborn for 1750. I todl her I only wanted the birth photos and she came down to $1250 that is with digital files. Just too much for me. Her pics are beatiful and I 'm sure she is worth it but if you can't afford it then you can't. Aroundtheworld- I was thinking 5-700 also but she is a DC photog so sure prices are a lot diff. than the south.

Atsaukina1
May 6th, 2013, 04:34 PM
and my last birth i was going to have a very talented photog do pics for free to build up her birth pics but babe decided to come faster than I thought lol. So my dd caught a couple precious ones of the birth:)

Sihaya
May 6th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Wow! Mine charges $500 for birth, $200 for maternity, and $250 for newborn. Cost of living around DC is a killer!

Atsaukina1
May 6th, 2013, 10:17 PM
yay i was prepared for 5 but over a thousand is just too much for me :(

aroundtheworld
May 7th, 2013, 02:01 PM
ugg well no can do- she said she had a special but even that is too much for me- I am paying out of pocket for birth and we have to move. her summer "special" was maternity,birth,and newborn for 1750. I todl her I only wanted the birth photos and she came down to $1250 that is with digital files. Just too much for me. Her pics are beatiful and I 'm sure she is worth it but if you can't afford it then you can't. Aroundtheworld- I was thinking 5-700 also but she is a DC photog so sure prices are a lot diff. than the south.

Ugh, what a bummer! :(