PDA

View Full Version : 39 weeks is the minimum for full term delivery now?

nuthinbutpink
May 19th, 2013, 12:50 PM
I am watching a story about the process of reducing the number of elective inductions and the progress the US has made to quit electively inducing people.

Some points that I found very interesting-

At 34 weeks, the volume of the cerebral cortex--which controls higher-order functions such as cognition, perception, reason and motor control--is 53% of its volume at 39 to 40 weeks.

Babies born before 39 weeks often can't learn to suck and swallow well, and they may not be able to stay awake long enough to eat.

Babies born before 39 weeks are more likely to have vision and hearing problems after birth.

Important growth in the liver occurs during the last weeks of pregnancy.

This program isn't new- I believe the recommendations were implemented a year ago but they are saying even with C-sections, 37 weeks is unacceptable because so much of the brain is not developed yet!

cvd
May 19th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Ah I shouldn't have read this lol my csection is Wednesday and I'll be 38+2. Hope baby doesn't have problems eating etc.

Wanting-a-girl
May 19th, 2013, 02:55 PM
My ob refuses to induce or section before 39 weeks unless medically nessisary

nuthinbutpink
May 19th, 2013, 03:03 PM
My ob refuses to induce or section before 39 weeks unless medically nessisary

That is the recommendation by all at this point from what I gathered watching the story. The brain grows 1mm per day at the end and the risks are 4 fold for issues at 37 weeks, 2 fold at 38 weeks.

There has been a huge reduction in the number of C-sections apparently once they changed the recommendation and babies with issues are way down statistically.

You always heard that "37 weeks is considered full-term" but I guess that has changed to 39 weeks but waiting on baby is what they were generally recommending.

nuthinbutpink
May 19th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Here is the link to the recent article. I am not well-informed on C-sections because I did not need to have one but apparently, the recommendation is the same for C-sections because there is no medical need and it is an elective timing when scheduling them sooner than that. cvd- you can change your mind! The information is pretty compelling for me.

Fewer moms having C-sections before 39 weeks – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs (http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/10/fewer-moms-having-c-sections-before-39-weeks/)

nuthinbutpink
May 19th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Here is the March of Dimes article-

Why at least 39 weeks is best for your baby | Pregnancy | Get ready for labor | March of Dimes (http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/getready_atleast39weeks.html)

Mrs_P
May 19th, 2013, 03:47 PM
if i have to have a section due to my low lying placenta they won't do it until 39 weeks unless i have any bleeding and me or babe are in danger. i thought it was a little late from what i knew of sections, this makes sense as to why

cvd
May 19th, 2013, 03:48 PM
cvd- you can change your mind! The information is pretty compelling for me.

I did talk about the study with DH but we still feel confident going ahead - I am at risk for another abruption and my blood pressure was a bit high at my last appt on Thurs! Just hope these stats won't apply to our little guy of course :)

Wanting-a-girl
May 19th, 2013, 04:29 PM
I would personally wait the couple days... But I have two disabled children and brain development is a crucial thing I think about.... Good luck tho I hope all goes well

Wanting-a-girl
May 19th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Believe me when you have children with something wrong all you think about are the what ifs... It drives me crazy

Jasmine
May 19th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Believe me when you have children with something wrong all you think about are the what ifs... It drives me crazy

I understand you. Both my babies passed away, so I always go over the 'what ifs' in my head. I can't even choose a name for a future baby now because what if I'm jinxing myself? I'm sorry to hear about your sons anyway.

Wanting-a-girl
May 19th, 2013, 05:46 PM
O jasmine I'm so sorry for your losses! I can't imagine :( hope you are doing well

Rosie85
May 19th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Wanting, I know what you mean, my oldest is autistic and the what ifs drive me crazy. My ds2 seems very very neurotypical thank goodness but now I am nervous again with ds3 even adter a nt child. I too made sure to go past 39 weeks and avoid certain things during pregnancy and even now.

mommymachine
May 19th, 2013, 08:14 PM
This makes me sad:(
DS1 was 38 + 4 induced for high blood pressure
DS2 was 34 induced for IUGR (he had stopped growing in the womb)
DS3 was 37 + 5 induced for high blood pressure
DD was 37 + 5 induced for high blood pressure

All children are healthy thank God!! But DS3 has sensitivities and over stimulation issues. I KNOW he wasn't ready to be born when he was. Hopefully, somehow ill make it to at least 39 weeks with this one.

alreadyneedivf
May 19th, 2013, 08:27 PM
pretty scary for anyone pregnant with twins--no way to get to 39 weeks!

Wanting-a-girl
May 19th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Well my first son my neuro-typical one was a 36 weeker but still I wouldn't choose to have them early and I think if I went in labour Before 39 I would prob take some magnesium to try to stop it cause that is quite substantial brain growth!

Wanting-a-girl
May 19th, 2013, 08:35 PM
And don't feel bad for having early babies when medically nessisary... There's nothing u could have done about that

Atsaukina1
May 19th, 2013, 08:35 PM
there are twin moms who make it to edd:) just gotta eat super well and take care of yourself. of course even then babes have a mind of their own. the point is you can't beat yourself up about it if they come early or a real medical reason to induce but to be educated and for docs to make better decisions and not induce early for many reasons that are not emergencies:)

Rosie85
May 19th, 2013, 08:51 PM
And some women naturally go into labor before 39 weeks...wonder if it's safe to say baby is ready in all aspects if it occurs after 37 weeks?

pinkin2011
May 19th, 2013, 09:23 PM
That is so hard for me to read.. I have had 2 babies born before 39 weeks both at 37 weeks due to my liver problems and the risk of stillbirth and I have suffered bad depression over having my babies early.. I still feel terrible about it

nuthinbutpink
May 19th, 2013, 09:45 PM
You can go longer with twins. This is about elective deliveries that are about nothing other than convenience to the mom/doctor/etc. It is not about early labors that cannot be stopped or anything medically necessary. There will always be medically necessary early deliveries.

I think what all of the recommendations are about are preventing issues in our babies if at all possible. Twins is a great example because most doctors will have said that you need to have them delivered by a certain week- but why? If babies are doing well and so is mom, they do not need to be induced earlier than a singleton.

The medical community is of course aware of this information and is supposed to be acting accordingly. 39 weeks before induction unless medically necessary. Induction is different than just having your baby naturally because baby is ready to come early. One of my kids was 10 days early and she is just fine. She came when she was ready!

harleyquinn
May 19th, 2013, 11:29 PM
All mine seem to want to come naturally in the 37th week and they are all just fine :)

Dana-Alicia
May 20th, 2013, 06:27 AM
I agree with this strongly! I was induced with my first son when I was almost 38 weeks pregnant. I was suffering really bad and the doctor suggested we induced. I just wanted it to be over. Well, after birth it wasn't over. I still suffered a lot of pain. And now my baby was also suffering. He was a big boy, 7 lbs, but he got sick from his early birth (at almost 38 weeks!) and admitted to neonatal ward. Seeing such a big baby in an incubator, struggling, it was heartbreaking. He was so weak, he could barely open his eyes or even drink on his own. The doctors didn't understand why and later said he was premature as he had this typical preemie moan.

Luckily he got better. But I do think he would have been much healthier if we had kept him in there untill he was ready. With my second son I suffered again. But I didn't want to be induced. He was born after 41 weeks. His eyes were open from day one, he grew fast, nursed a lot, he was and still is very content. I would only ever induce if it's life threatening. If not, baby stays in as long as needed.

Dana-Alicia
May 20th, 2013, 06:28 AM
All mine seem to want to come naturally in the 37th week and they are all just fine :)

there's a big difference in a natural birth and an induction.

pinkin2011
May 20th, 2013, 06:49 AM
just wanting thoughts on this I was 37 weeks when I was induced due to having a liver problem and when my ob went to check me I was already 7 cm dilated before she even broke my water so was bubs going to come early anyway??

Wanting-a-girl
May 20th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I was 6 cm with ds2 for 5 weeks :s he was born at 41 weeks 1 hour befor. MY scheduled induction 30 min labour!

Pinkin try not to hold this against yourself as you have medical issues a
That are beyond your control

Dana-Alicia
May 20th, 2013, 10:51 AM
just wanting thoughts on this I was 37 weeks when I was induced due to having a liver problem and when my ob went to check me I was already 7 cm dilated before she even broke my water so was bubs going to come early anyway??

I'm not sure, but 7 cm is a lot, I don't think your baby would have been born much later. However, I have had 5 cm dialation for over a week with my second son. I was worried he was just gonna fall out ;) and I agree with wanting, if an induction is medically needed, it's the best thing to do for baby and mother.

Wanting-a-girl
May 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I felt like mine was gonna fall out as well lol! Don't know how someone can walk around that dilated for so many weeks lol...

atomic sagebrush
May 20th, 2013, 11:00 AM
if i have to have a section due to my low lying placenta they won't do it until 39 weeks unless i have any bleeding and me or babe are in danger. i thought it was a little late from what i knew of sections, this makes sense as to why

Mrs P, will they let you do a trial labor?? They let me with my low lying placenta and I was able to have him vaginally altho I did start to hemorrage at 6 CM dilated luckily it went very quick from that point. They really did not want to do a section on me anyway because my placenta was in the front so they'd have had to cut through it, but still, I hope they are able to let you at least have a trial labor.

atomic sagebrush
May 20th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I felt like mine was gonna fall out as well lol! Don't know how someone can walk around that dilated for so many weeks lol...

A friend of mine went for 2 months dilated to 5!!! It was crazy. It was her 5th child.

atomic sagebrush
May 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
While I agree that inducing early is not a good thing at all I do also want everyone to rest easy because the baby can continue to develop AFTER they are born.

Mrs_P
May 20th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Mrs P, will they let you do a trial labor?? They let me with my low lying placenta and I was able to have him vaginally altho I did start to hemorrage at 6 CM dilated luckily it went very quick from that point. They really did not want to do a section on me anyway because my placenta was in the front so they'd have had to cut through it, but still, I hope they are able to let you at least have a trial labor.

I'm not sure yet, i really don't want a section but am quite worried about going natural to. My doc said as long as she can get her head down in the next 2 weeks we can try natural, in the hope that i will labor quick and she will come out before it detaches - that bit seemed a bit worrying

How bad was the bleed for you? Its that bit that worries me most as if it gets bad they have said i will end up with an emergency section. I am one of these weird women that actually enjoy labor, my last was really easy and i wanted a water birth this time (i had bleeding with my last and ended up being high risk so was banned from the pool)

Pandora1
May 28th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I have always wondered how doctors could feel it was safe to induce without life threatening problems. I have heard this happening so much. Glad to see they are revising this practice.

atomic sagebrush
May 28th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure yet, i really don't want a section but am quite worried about going natural to. My doc said as long as she can get her head down in the next 2 weeks we can try natural, in the hope that i will labor quick and she will come out before it detaches - that bit seemed a bit worrying

How bad was the bleed for you? Its that bit that worries me most as if it gets bad they have said i will end up with an emergency section. I am one of these weird women that actually enjoy labor, my last was really easy and i wanted a water birth this time (i had bleeding with my last and ended up being high risk so was banned from the pool)

He didn't tell me, I think he didn't want me to know really, but I didn't require a transfusion. My husbandsaid they brought what looked like blood in and then didn't use it, but I'm not really sure if that was true or if he saw something else. I was very faint for a few months after that though. I started bleeding at 6 cm but luckily I go quickly from there and as the head moved down, it put pressure on the wound and kept it from bleeding too awfully much, from what I've heard that is generally what happens - by the time the bleeding starts, the baby's head is there to staunch the flow. (nature is weird yet clever)

I enjoy labor too, I totally understand just waht you mean. :heart: and prayers.

Mum23boys
May 29th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Here in the UK in wet susex they wont do planned c sections now before 39 weeks for this exact reason im guessing and they wont induce before 39 weeks either unless there is a real medical emergency

missmegrn
May 29th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I was induced (pitocin) at 37w6d for various medical reasons. DD1 was induced (pitocin) as well, but she was over 40 wks. She had meconium in her fluid. She was a big baby at 8 lb 10 oz, 21 inches. She also got stuck in the birth canal and almost landed me a c-section. She ended up being a vaginal birth with shoulder dystocia, which was okay after 1 week. Anyway, dd2 had a 2 vessel cord. At 37 weeks her activity level was not as much and NSTs were not as reactive as they should be. I also had PIH (preg induced hypertension) with no preeclampsia. For fear that 1 more week inutero might land me a c-section due to her possibly being bigger or her activity level decreased some more, or my PIH got worse, I decided to get induced early. Good thing I did because she ended up being 8 lb 10.5 oz and 21 in long, with may have been problematic had I gone further. Being induced early is definately a personal decision in which risk and benefits should be considered.

meeks32
July 27th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Agree that this is a very complex issue in which all aspects need to be considered. Sometimes articles like this can do more scare mongering than good. I agree if there are no medical reasons of course it's better to wait for 39 weeks but I also agree with atomic, babies develop outside of the womb as well, it's not like things stop just because they were born.

I have a slightly different issue with induction timing. I believe women shouldn't be allowed to go so far over. In Australia we are allowed to go 12 days over before they begin induction with gel, then if that doesn't work overnight they break the waters, if that doesn't work within the day they use oxytocin. So by then you are 13+ days over. I know a lot of babies that had horrendous births and ongoing complications from going this far over and don't believe it should be allowed. However we CAN'T choose to be induced early without medical reason. So with these babies going over if everything appears normal, they keep you going. I went into labour 12 days over with ds1, my labour was 48hrs. 30 hrs in my waters broke and had meconium in them, but they let me go another 18hrs before an emergency caesarian that went terribly. He has milk protein allergy and behavioural issues and I'm convinced its because I was so far over. Another friend had a stillborn after a similar labour and being 12 days over. I researched it a lot at the time and there was evidence that going too far over can cause complications like the placenta not functioning optimally etc.

Interestingly, I had ds2 via Caesarian for medical reasons at 38 weeks and he was the same size as ds1 , healthy, amazing eater and alert and is completely normal with no allergies or behavioural problems.