PDA

View Full Version : Calling Mums with Twins.

Sunshine 2010
April 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Hi, Just wanted to get any advise on what you Mums did to get your twins, did you eat anything in particular, or dtd close to Ovulation, how many times on the same day, or all through ovulation before after etc... I would so much like to increase my odds of having twins, but wondered if there were any sway methods out there!!! I am hoping to Sway Boy in the next few months.

atomic sagebrush
April 29th, 2011, 01:05 PM
There actually are ways of raising your odds of twins and I wrote an essay about it!

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?1089-Conceiving-twins!

I conceived twins by taking vitex, high dose of folic acid (which you should do anyway for TTC blue) and getting pg when breastfeeding. I also have a family history of twins and was 38 years old.

The only way to get fraternal twins is by popping out more than one egg so no matter how you DTD or in what pattern, you NEED to hyperovulate the month you conceive in order to get twins.

Clomid is the most reliable way to conceive twins. http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?1191-Clomid

Good luck!!

TTC5
April 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM
What is considered high doses of folic acid?

atomic sagebrush
April 29th, 2011, 07:39 PM
2000 mcg and up. I was taking 4000 mcg. Research indicates that higher levels of folic may not actually sway for twins, but that the higher levels of folic are needed so both twins can survive and develop properly.

TTC5
April 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I wonder if I am setting myself up for twins again lol

My grandmother had fraternal twins, and my second is a fraternal twin (we lost the twin at 8 weeks sadly).

I have been taking 5000mcg of folate (it was cheaper than me having to buy 500mcg tablets and having to take a few of those a day!).

I am 28 this month.. and so far am the fattest pre conception lol and would have to say am pretty well nourished haha

Sunshine 2010
April 30th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Can i ask, what gender twins did you have? thanks for your reply.

TTC5
April 30th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Me?

I had girl/boy but we lost the boy.

atomic sagebrush
April 30th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Can i ask, what gender twins did you have? thanks for your reply.

My one baby who survived was a boy but we don't know the gender of the other baby. I sort of suspect it was another boy because it was a placenta previa and most of them are boys, but not all of them are.

atomic sagebrush
April 30th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I wonder if I am setting myself up for twins again lol

My grandmother had fraternal twins, and my second is a fraternal twin (we lost the twin at 8 weeks sadly).

I have been taking 5000mcg of folate (it was cheaper than me having to buy 500mcg tablets and having to take a few of those a day!).

I am 28 this month.. and so far am the fattest pre conception lol and would have to say am pretty well nourished haha

TTC, I don't think you need 5000 mcg of folate, if you want to dial it back to 4000 that is just fine. (oh I see it's one capsule??) YOu may want to split the pill into two halves and take one in the morning and one at night for best absorption, because you just pee out everything your body can't use right that minute.

Re: twins - I figure, twins doubles your chances at your DG, right?? :p

My Fabulous Children
April 30th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Me?

I had girl/boy but we lost the boy.

At 8 weeks? did you find out that early?

My Fabulous Children
April 30th, 2011, 09:55 PM
2000 mcg and up. I was taking 4000 mcg. Research indicates that higher levels of folic may not actually sway for twins, but that the higher levels of folic are needed so both twins can survive and develop properly.

Oh, I always read on the other site high amount of FA sway for Twins.

TTC5
April 30th, 2011, 10:13 PM
My one baby who survived was a boy but we don't know the gender of the other baby. I sort of suspect it was another boy because it was a placenta previa and most of them are boys, but not all of them are.

Oh really, interesting as I had this condition with this pregnancy! We almost lost my DD too the pregnancy was so touch and go. My Mum also had pp with my brother.

TTC5
April 30th, 2011, 10:15 PM
TTC, I don't think you need 5000 mcg of folate, if you want to dial it back to 4000 that is just fine. (oh I see it's one capsule??) YOu may want to split the pill into two halves and take one in the morning and one at night for best absorption, because you just pee out everything your body can't use right that minute.

Re: twins - I figure, twins doubles your chances at your DG, right?? :p

I will chop it in half =)

I was getting them in 500mcg but going through a bottle a week!!

TTC5
April 30th, 2011, 10:18 PM
At 8 weeks? did you find out that early?

Not 100% but this is what the drs told me at the hospital. They were fraternal twins (seperate sacs) and apparently means higher chance of g/b? I just knew it was a boy too =(

Before this pregnancy I had another miscarriage just a few months earlier in the 12/13th week.

My Fabulous Children
May 1st, 2011, 01:52 PM
Not 100% but this is what the drs told me at the hospital. They were fraternal twins (seperate sacs) and apparently means higher chance of g/b? I just knew it was a boy too =(

Before this pregnancy I had another miscarriage just a few months earlier in the 12/13th week.

So sorry for your losses hun, And yes the chances for a boy and girl twins are higher.

atomic sagebrush
May 1st, 2011, 03:27 PM
Oh, I always read on the other site high amount of FA sway for Twins.

yes, i tried to explain that a couple times but I think people want to believe you can just take a pill and it will all be easy. Anyway either way, if you want twins you should take more FA.

atomic sagebrush
May 1st, 2011, 03:30 PM
Oh really, interesting as I had this condition with this pregnancy! We almost lost my DD too the pregnancy was so touch and go. My Mum also had pp with my brother.

Oh did you really? I actually had both placentas grow and develop and the twin's placenta was right over my cervix almost until the end of pregnancy. It was very stressful. I did go onto have a vag birth but the doctor showed us the sac afterwards and ther was one big healthy placenta, one smaller one that was obviously not right, and then this tiny hole between the two that the baby had passed through. It was a miracle really.

Sorry if that was TMI but it really was amazing.

skrimpy
May 1st, 2011, 05:39 PM
I also had a baby with two sacs and one HUGE placenta... my midwife said it could have been two placentas at one time. The second sac was normal sized but contained no baby. Possibly a twin or maybe just a strange happening?

Anyways, all these twin posts are making me want twins next haha. I'm a glutton for punishment. Wonder if yams sway blue :p

My Fabulous Children
May 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
yes, i tried to explain that a couple times but I think people want to believe you can just take a pill and it will all be easy. Anyway either way, if you want twins you should take more FA.

I take large amounts of Folic acid every day only because I am doing the boy diet & the drinks like BSD, etc. I started taking prenatal vitamins after m/c, which contain 800mcg so that =5X/day.

I don't know how, but I read online (google it) taking folic acid at least one month before conception can lead to twins, but I am with you on higher levels of folic are needed so both twins can survive and develop properly. ITA.

TTC5
May 1st, 2011, 09:00 PM
I wonder if this is why my twin did not make it, because I was not taking FA before their conception?

Alexis2007
May 5th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I would love twins too :)

atomic sagebrush
May 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I take large amounts of Folic acid every day only because I am doing the boy diet & the drinks like BSD, etc. I started taking prenatal vitamins after m/c, which contain 800mcg so that =5X/day.

I don't know how, but I read online (google it) taking folic acid at least one month before conception can lead to twins, but I am with you on higher levels of folic are needed so both twins can survive and develop properly. ITA.

I know, it's out there online but I read a study that debunked it that involved tens of thousands of people in China and they found no link between folic and numbers of twins conceived.

atomic sagebrush
May 6th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I also had a baby with two sacs and one HUGE placenta... my midwife said it could have been two placentas at one time. The second sac was normal sized but contained no baby. Possibly a twin or maybe just a strange happening?

Anyways, all these twin posts are making me want twins next haha. I'm a glutton for punishment. Wonder if yams sway blue :p

Yes, according to what I read when this happened to me, twinning is actually a lot more common than we realize and a lot of people have double-placentas or extra sacs (I think they call this, 4 bags???).

Be warned, if you've conceived twins once that means you are more likely to conceive them again!! ;)

atomic sagebrush
May 6th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I wonder if this is why my twin did not make it, because I was not taking FA before their conception?

There is no way to know and I hope you don't beat yourself up about it. I was taking 4000 mcg a day and my baby still didn't survive, I think it just happens sometimes.:broken:

TTC5
May 6th, 2011, 10:54 PM
There is no way to know and I hope you don't beat yourself up about it. I was taking 4000 mcg a day and my baby still didn't survive, I think it just happens sometimes.:broken:

Thanks Atomic xox