PDA

View Full Version : Older Mums and Dads

pebmcpd7
May 22nd, 2013, 06:24 PM
My DH is 51 and I am 40 in Sept. Is it not more likely that you conceive a girl with been older???
It didn't work for us, I might try again, or are we just designed to have boys?

mommymachine
May 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
My mom had me at 40.5yo. I know lots of older women who have babies at an older age since being Catholic, the women at my Church just keep on having beautiful babies! I do mostly see girls as being the youngest but I have seen boys as the youngest and my DHs aunt just had twin boys at 48.

Wanting-a-girl
May 22nd, 2013, 06:46 PM
My moms cousing had a boy with ds in sept, my mother in law had my DH in her 40s....I can't think of many people I know...

Do you thnk ur gonna try for number 8 :)

TRL
May 22nd, 2013, 08:40 PM
My DH was in his 50's when we had our boys. So not true for us.

pebmcpd7
May 22nd, 2013, 08:51 PM
My moms cousing had a boy with ds in sept, my mother in law had my DH in her 40s....I can't think of many people I know...

Do you thnk ur gonna try for number 8 :)

I am thinking about it but I am all over the place at minute! I just want my girl!

Wanting-a-girl
May 22nd, 2013, 08:54 PM
Ya I know what you mean :) wish I had the balls to try again... But I don't... DH has the big V consult in July... I'm having some second thoughts tho cause I'm 25 so what if I want one in 10 yers... I don't think I will but what if I do?

Deniese
August 12th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I once heard that older moms have more girls and I still cling to that even though my last 2 were boys with the last being born at 40. At 42 I am hoping to have one more and like you hoping for a girl.

3littleladies
September 1st, 2013, 02:27 AM
I was 38 with my last baby girl, my sister was 44 & she had a boy! I really don't think it makes any difference.

3littleladies
September 1st, 2013, 02:30 AM
Wish there was an answer, I know a family who has 9boys and they're 10th was a girl, they are a great family, my girls love going over cause they have so much fun!

ever hopeful
September 1st, 2013, 04:35 AM
I was in my early 40's with DS2 and 3 and DH mid-late 40's so, no, wasn't true for us....x

onebigwish
September 1st, 2013, 05:58 AM
My mom had me35years old and my sister 39 years old. My cousine had her last boy at 36. I dont believe this is true.

atomic sagebrush
September 1st, 2013, 11:15 AM
There are some studies that say yes, a couple that say no. I believe it to be the case and I think that the only reason why it's not more obvious is due to external factors (such as, couples who are ABLE to get pg at older ages, may be more fertile to begin with and thus a bit more likely to have boys, and this keeps the ratio closer to 50-50, even though age itself is swaying)

NO ONE is "set" to make only boys or only girls. I know someone who had 8boys and then got a girl without swaying and someone who had 8 girls and then 2 boys without swaying. My greatgrandmother had 6 girls and then 2 boys at the end, a friend of ours had 7 boys and then a girl (without swaying), and Michelle Duggar had a long bunch of boys and then a long bunch of girls - it does happen.

atomic sagebrush
September 1st, 2013, 11:17 AM
of course was true for me having daughter at 42

my stepmother's mom had an "oops" baby girl at 45

but I know others who had boys over 40 too. We can't just look at the people we know, it has to be in a study involving thousands of people so we can see the trend

atomic sagebrush
September 1st, 2013, 11:18 AM
Ya I know what you mean :) wish I had the balls to try again... But I don't... DH has the big V consult in July... I'm having some second thoughts tho cause I'm 25 so what if I want one in 10 yers... I don't think I will but what if I do?

I do not think your husband should have a vasectomy if you are only 25. We were "done" for quite some time before I had my 3 little ones and if he had had a V we never could have had them.