PDA

View Full Version : Do you get along with your ILs?

Yuzu
April 28th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I don't get along with my in-laws at all! I wish I did, because of course it would be more comfortable for DH, but they really don't like me. They think I'm very stuck up and not friendly at all. I'm very friendly, just not with them.:rofl:

Do your in-laws like you?

mmsgirlie22
April 28th, 2011, 11:31 PM
We get along alright I guess. I tend to get along more with my FIL and Step MIL.....i guess because I see them more. My MIL and I are ok. I don't feel comfortable around her.

Glittergirl
April 29th, 2011, 01:30 AM
I'm fortunate cause I get along great with my MIL and FIL. they are always very sweet to me and tell me how lucky their son is,They treat me like their daughters. but I do realize this is rare cause I know my mom didn't get along with hers.

TTC5
April 29th, 2011, 02:16 AM
For the most part yep but we dont see them too often.

Belle
April 29th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I only have a MIL and NO we unfortunately don't get along at all

Bambina
April 29th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I get along great with my in-laws, probably because they live on the other side of the world!

Zivic-Bubac
April 29th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Simple and clear: NO! I don't like them, they don't like me, so the feelings are mutual! :rofl:
They think I'm very stuck up and not friendly at all. I'm very friendly, just not with them.:rofl:
This exactly! My MIL is queen-b****h and she thinks I'm living the loneliest life in the world and no friends at all...So not true, if she only knew how great I am :rofl:

lightofmylife
April 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I get along great with my in-laws, probably because they live on the other side of the world!
same here .... we just talk on phone rarely ... but i know if i would be in same country i couldnt get along them , my MIL is very cunning and she never miss a chance to let us realize that we dont have a son even on phone :mad::mad:

Bee Shine
April 30th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Yes, I love my in laws. I dont always agree with them and sometimes they annoy me, but overall I love them. They are extremely helpful and kind. They watch the kids whenever we need them during the week and also babysit every weekend so we can work. My family is in another state so unfortunately we dont have help from them.

purplepoet20
April 30th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I believe I get along with my IL's... I hope they like me! I am not very close to either of my parents or step-parents, I am closer to my dad but we are more like long distances friends. I see my IL's for... all birthdays (9 total), Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Mother's/Father's Day, Baptism's, and sometimes just because.

At first they were a little odd when I met them, Hubby is his moms only baby, so I expected it. When they found out we were pregnant they were worried I was setting their son up and maybe it wasn't his. I expected a lot more drama but once they saw how much I loved their son they did relax more. They get me birthday and holiday cards, something my own family has never ever done, they sign them mom and dad which means the world to me. When I asked my MIL to be in the room when her first grandson was born she cried and said she was so happy I asked her because she didn't know how to ask me... her stepsons wife didn't want anyone to visit for the first several months.

My MIL is very attached to my boys and it makes me happy that they have a great relationship with her. She does bring up her opinion on things but mostly they are closely related to my opinion so there are no problems with different views on the kids. We are so close that I gave her permission to use her judgement if she wants to give the kids a cookie or food.

After 5 years of knowing them we are all very close I would have to say I am closer with them then even my sisters!

Halah
April 30th, 2011, 08:13 PM
We do get along. I appreciate a lot of things about them. It took a while to get there though as there used to be some codependency going on. Nothing major, but his mom did a lot of little things for him that were unnecessary for a woman to do for her grown son (running his errands, doing his laundry, etc.) The apron strings have since been cut though.

My Fabulous Children
April 30th, 2011, 10:30 PM
:nono:NO NO NO, I hate them so much and they hate too. I can't stand them. They're haters. And my MIL is a b!*h.

I don't talk to them it's been more then 3 years already! and I will NEVER talk to them again. Sometimes I see them face to face we don't talk.

My Fabulous Children
April 30th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Simple and clear: NO! I don't like them, they don't like me, so the feelings are mutual! :rofl: This exactly! My MIL is queen-b****h and she thinks I'm living the loneliest life in the world and no friends at all...So not true, if she only knew how great I am :rofl:

Maybe your MIL knows my MIL, LOL. Mine is a queen-b***h too!!

WantingPink
May 1st, 2011, 12:28 AM
The first time I met my ILs it was my wedding... awkward!! Especially since I was 5 months pregnant!! We had been dating for several years but they lived in a different state so I had never met them. We get along just fine now... now that I know them I think they were probably embarrassed that their son had knocked me up :) I think I am really lucky that I get along with them so well... especially considering how things started. It probably helps that they don't have a daughter and their other son will probably never get married.

gizmo77
May 3rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
same here .... we just talk on phone rarely ... but i know if i would be in same country i couldnt get along them , my MIL is very cunning and she never miss a chance to let us realize that we dont have a son even on phone :mad::mad:

HAHAH..sorry sounds typical of asian culture (im indian). i hear ya on this!

gizmo77
May 3rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
i get along withs iblings in laws but prob bc i donts ee/talk to them that often. FIL is ok, but i dont like his personality but we are civil. MIL...lets just say we get along when she plays her 'sweet old lady' routine. thru the yrs i always thought she was great, nice, sweet, but i learned there is a sneaky cunnng side to her. that dh refuses to acknowledge.. ;-) she s that good!

begonia
May 3rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
Oh this is funny to read, great Q! My DH totally got the short end of the stick marrying me, 'cause his parents ROCK, and my parents... umm. Well you know if you can't say anything nice ...

So yes, I love my IL's and we get along very well. I wish they had been the ones responsible for my childhood... then my memories of it would be a LOT better, LOL!

DoulaMama
May 3rd, 2011, 02:55 PM
I liked my MIL but she passed away nearly 5 years ago. I really don't like one of my SIL's...the other 2 are fine. My FIL is a bit backward thinking....a bit too much for my liking but we only see him once in awhile. All in all I never see them so it's not that bad!

DoulaMama
May 3rd, 2011, 02:57 PM
The first time I met my ILs it was my wedding... awkward!! Especially since I was 5 months pregnant!! We had been dating for several years but they lived in a different state so I had never met them. We get along just fine now... now that I know them I think they were probably embarrassed that their son had knocked me up :) I think I am really lucky that I get along with them so well... especially considering how things started. It probably helps that they don't have a daughter and their other son will probably never get married.

Too funny!! The first time I had met some of his family I too was knocked up...at my wedding....LOL! I was 4 months preggo when we got hitched and we'd only been together for 9 months before I got pregnant. My hubby is a hunter so it literally was a shotgun wedding..LOL

Roonarpia
May 3rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
We get along okay but my MIL is so controlling I can't stand her sometimes. she also gets wasted with my daughters around and proceeds to cry all over them OR walk out of the house and disappear. great role model huh? my FIL is really nice but is just quiet and to himself. my SIL is a spoiled brat that still lives at home at 31 and my BIL we never talk to or see, oh but when we do he is usually stoned out of his mind so pretty hard to talk to.

SugarSpice&EverythingNice
May 10th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Ugh I hate my IL's. My fiance is the blacksheep/scapegoat of his family. But whenever his mother has a suicide attempt or needs $, who is the child she calls first? Hmmm.

I put on a fake smiley face for my IL's, (well the MIL). She does the same.

Aqua
May 10th, 2011, 02:33 PM
My in-laws totally think I am a wackadoodle...lol. I came from a very cheerfull, loud, totally goofy and silly but from a close knit family. And DH's family was very uptight, very formal, very subtle, boderline boring folks. When we just got married we lived with my in-laws (in a adjacent guest house) for 12-14 months. I thought I needed a amplifier while I was there otherwise I wouldn't hear any sound or people talk within the walls. I am sure I kinda annoyed them for who I was...and they felt bad for their son. hahaha.. I did have diff of opinion in many ways..which created couple of tiffs between us, well that comes with the territory of being in such close proximity.

Now that were are miles and miles apart we get to see them seldom and so its all good. I do respect them a lot for bringing up a wonderful boy :p .. for me..lol

lena
May 23rd, 2011, 08:27 PM
No I hate my MIL, almost cost DH and I marriage last year all because of her, well not all but u get me. I like my FIL but feel he is very gutless.

pastelpicnic
May 24th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Ugh I hate my IL's. My fiance is the blacksheep/scapegoat of his family. But whenever his mother has a suicide attempt or needs $, who is the child she calls first? Hmmm.

I put on a fake smiley face for my IL's, (well the MIL). She does the same.

OMG! My DH is the blacksheep in his family too! He chose to leave the religion he was raised in and grew a sack and started to make his own decisions. My MIL had him so brainwashed that she talked him into dropping out of college to help her and my FIL buy a house and still proceeded to make my DH pay her rent for the house that he qualified for to get them the house!!!!! Of course he met me right when he was leaving his childhood religion and I'm also a different ethnicity than him ( which she hates with a passion! ) When my DH first brought me to her house she walked up to me and started crying pointing her finger at me saying that this wasn't the son she had raised and that all of this was my fault! I immediately left the house and left my DH there to hash things out. She did have the balls to say to him that we wouldn't last, and that I was just using him! WELL…..10 years later and 2 amazing kids!! she's eating her words. We now put on the fake smiles for each other.

purplepoet20
May 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM
OMG! My DH is the blacksheep in his family too! He chose to leave the religion he was raised in and grew a sack and started to make his own decisions. My MIL had him so brainwashed that she talked him into dropping out of college to help her and my FIL buy a house and still proceeded to make my DH pay her rent for the house that he qualified for to get them the house!!!!! Of course he met me right when he was leaving his childhood religion and I'm also a different ethnicity than him ( which she hates with a passion! ) When my DH first brought me to her house she walked up to me and started crying pointing her finger at me saying that this wasn't the son she had raised and that all of this was my fault! I immediately left the house and left my DH there to hash things out. She did have the balls to say to him that we wouldn't last, and that I was just using him! WELL…..10 years later and 2 amazing kids!! she's eating her words. We now put on the fake smiles for each other.

Way to go... 10 years together with that kind of family must mean love :) What religion was it?

I saw that you live in Ventura CA.... I miss it! I lived all over Orange County, Riverside, and Apple Valley.... I spent a lot of time in Ventura, Long Beach, and Hungington growing up..........Currently been in AZ and haven't seen the beach in 2 years. I am lost without the beach!

pastelpicnic
May 24th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Way to go... 10 years together with that kind of family must mean love :) What religion was it?

I saw that you live in Ventura CA.... I miss it! I lived all over Orange County, Riverside, and Apple Valley.... I spent a lot of time in Ventura, Long Beach, and Hungington growing up..........Currently been in AZ and haven't seen the beach in 2 years. I am lost without the beach!

He was a Jehova's Witness. I like Ventura Co. now. but it took me a long time to adjust. I'm originally from Northern Ca. so my heart will always be there. I saw that you spend a lot of time in Vegas as well. My dad and all his family are from there. So we spend a lot of time there too.