PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my girls names

*ruby*
May 27th, 2013, 05:31 PM
My 20 week scan is on Monday and I'm hoping to find out the gender without DH knowing. So my favourite girls names are:

Ruby - but is it too popular?
Grace (Gracie)
Stella - love it but kinda turned off by a girl in DS's kinder class with the same name
Remy - just discovered it and quite like it

Middle name would be my name if we have a girl.

crazyladyneedsababy
May 27th, 2013, 05:33 PM
ah Gracie is one of my all time favourite girls names. I love it for a little girl and the fact grace is so stunning for a woman when she grows up so that gets my vote, hands down. It would be in my top 2 for a girl x

Mrs_P
May 27th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I like Ruby

I think popularity (or rather lack there of) in a name is overrated, fashions change and i wouldn't avoid picking a name you love just cause its popular, she will be your little X regardless of what everyone else around you has. Our ds1 has a really really popular name in our country but its my dh's grandads name (yet he does not go to school with anyone of that name although it was no1 on the list the year he was born), ds2 i wanted something unusual and i never came across anyone with his name for years, yet now in his class is the only other child with exactly the same i know of (not that it bothers him). You've waited all this time, name her a name you love!

ps hope you hear pink!

nuthinbutpink
May 27th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I don't know a Ruby.

Gracie has always been popular.

Given your username, I'd say Ruby!

*ruby*
May 27th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the input girls. Ruby is definitely the front runner at the moment. It's been number 1 on name popularity lists in aus for a few years now but despite that I only know of 1 girl with the name (a girl at DS's school).

I think you're right though we should just use the name we love despite the popularity. It's just that my boys names are fairly uncommon so I was originally hoping to go with something less popular again.

atomic sagebrush
May 27th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I think Grace and Stella are both more popular than Ruby. I like them all.

Remy, to me is a boy's name. Like on Ratatouillle or Gambit from the Xmen. I know it can be used for either but I think of it as a boy's name. :)

I also agree about the popularity factor, I read an article about it and it turns out it's really less of an issue now because there are so many names, even the most popular amongst them are just not used very often.

Mum23boys
May 29th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Ruby is very popular where I am but so is Grace but like others say if u love it who cares !!
I LOVE the name Elliott for a boy but everyone says its very close to one of our other sons Ellis but do u know whatthe more i think bout it and how much i like it i think to hell with it we know a louis and lewis and a leon and louis and to me they are just as close so if i love the neame why shouldnt i use it !! :-) Good luck

*ruby*
May 30th, 2013, 05:45 AM
I agree AS, there are so many different names out there these days that the popular ones aren't really THAT popular!

mum23boys - I also love the name Elliot although unfortunately DH doesn't. It's gorgeous for a little boy and also a man

ohboy
June 25th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Stella then Remy

Lld2006
June 25th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I love Stella. I also like Ruby...I don't know that it is as popular here in the states as it is where you are so maybe why I'm drawn to it.

I am also pondering a very popular boy name so it is good to hear a few of your opinions on why choosing a popular name might not be as big of a deal as I think. Thanks for that!

Good luck!

*ruby*
June 26th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the input girls. DH is already calling my bump 'Rubes' so I think we'll def go with Ruby if we have a girl.

Falling2Grace
July 4th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I love Ruby the best!!!

meeks32
July 25th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Ruby is lovely. Did you find out?

*ruby*
July 25th, 2013, 06:17 PM
No we didn't end up finding out but if it is a girl her name will be Ruby.

Falling2Grace
July 27th, 2013, 08:04 PM
No we didn't end up finding out but if it is a girl her name will be Ruby.

adorable!

*ruby*
November 12th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Just updating that our team green baby is here and now 2 weeks old. Her name is Ruby, I'm so glad we got to use the name and I love it even more now that it is our precious baby girls name.

3littleladies
November 12th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Congratulations that's wonderful news & I really like the name Ruby!

momof3boyz11
November 13th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Congratulations it a beautiful name!

snipsnsnails
November 13th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Congratulations!!

The Anchor
November 13th, 2013, 05:04 PM
OMG!!! CONGRATS on your DAUGHTER, ruby :)