PDA

View Full Version : varying LP and breastfeeding?

ksmom
June 9th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I'm 13 months pp, this is my 5th pp cycle, 2nd cycle ttc. My 1st and 2nd pp cycles I had a 15 day LP, 3rd cycle was only a 9 day lp :( and 4th cycle was 11 day lp. I've never heard of a LP varying like that! Usually I hear nursing moms say their LP went from short to long not long to short and back again. Could this be a progesterone issue or is it just from breastfeeding? We're in the process of night weaning which actually the day following the first night of night weaning I ovulated! So I guess it did help my fertility some. I'm taking B6 this cycle in hopes of it lengthening my lp. I have no idea why my lp was only 9 days that one cycle. I'm worried this cycle it will be too short. Should I try an OTC progesterone cream even though I don't know if that's the issue or not? Or should I just see if the night weaning makes a difference? Any moms gone through this or have any suggestions?

HopefulMonster
June 9th, 2013, 07:49 PM
It's totally normal hun, don't worry. Just looked through my charting history and my lp from my 1st pp cycle went;
(while bf on demand) 5 , 3 , 8 ,
(cut down to 1 afternoon feed, 1 night feed) 10 , 11 , 10,
(stopped night feed) 13, 12, 12, 10, 14, 12,
(stopped all feeds) 14, 14, 14, 14.

I think it's because our hormones are very affected by prolactin (the hormone that makes milk) and depending on how much your lo feeds and how often and what times, it varies how much prolactin you make, which in turn messes up your cycle. Roughly speaking night feeds result in a lot more prolactin produced in a short time as opposed to day feeds. I didn't ovulate until I got rid of the 1 night feed. It's hard because it effects everyone differently and some women are more sensitive to it than others.

ksmom
June 9th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Thank you! That makes me feel a bit better. I'm hoping that night weaning will be the key to lengthening my LP. Makes sense that night feeds cause an increase in prolactin. DS normally nurses quite often at night, especially nights we co-sleep. I'm not ready to wean entirely yet (and neither is DS) so I've got my fingers crossed all we need to do is stop with the night nursing.

It's totally normal hun, don't worry. Just looked through my charting history and my lp from my 1st pp cycle went;
(while bf on demand) 5 , 3 , 8 ,
(cut down to 1 afternoon feed, 1 night feed) 10 , 11 , 10,
(stopped night feed) 13, 12, 12, 10, 14, 12,
(stopped all feeds) 14, 14, 14, 14.

I think it's because our hormones are very affected by prolactin (the hormone that makes milk) and depending on how much your lo feeds and how often and what times, it varies how much prolactin you make, which in turn messes up your cycle. Roughly speaking night feeds result in a lot more prolactin produced in a short time as opposed to day feeds. I didn't ovulate until I got rid of the 1 night feed. It's hard because it effects everyone differently and some women are more sensitive to it than others.

Mackenzie
June 13th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Hello, I'm on my third month tc while breast feeding. I do one feed usually early evening and th en all night feed on demand. My first cycle was 12 days lp second was 12 days again, I'm hoping this is long enough to catch the egg as I have been getting pos opk on cd 17 so ovulating cd 18 I think? Anyways, I hope things het more regular for you :) good luck!