PDA

View Full Version : Dr P - Question on Embryo growth.

Mykids
May 3rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Dr Potter,

I was looking in to day 5 biopsy with GSN. So in order to do day 5 biopsy the embys should be in blast stage right? So do you think if a cell is not removed on day 3 the embryo will have a high chances of going to the blast satge by day 5.

Thanks

Dr. Potter
May 4th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Dr Potter,

I was looking in to day 5 biopsy with GSN. So in order to do day 5 biopsy the embys should be in blast stage right? So do you think if a cell is not removed on day 3 the embryo will have a high chances of going to the blast satge by day 5.

Thanks
Yes. We are looking at protocols to do fresh transfers in day 6 but this is still to be worked out. Currently we biopsy on day 3 and then re-biopsy some embryos on day 5. If there are embryos suitable for transfer on day 5 (from day 3) we transfer them. It is the best of both worlds in my opinion. To biopsy on day 5 (or sometimes day 6) the embryos need to be at the blast stage or better. It works best when they are expanded or hatching blasts. I hope that this helps.

Mykids
May 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks for your reply Dr Potter, So if the embryo does not reach the blast stage on day 5 or 6 , does that mean the embryo is genetically not healthy to become a baby.