PDA

View Full Version : boy clothes shopping sucks.

isis
June 24th, 2013, 04:38 AM
i love my son. i pray the next one is a girl. but for now....

BOY CLOTHES SHOPPING SUCKS especially when you are surrounded by 10xs more cute and frilly girl things. I hate that boy clothes are either "monster" or bugs or trucks or dinosaurs. plaid or stripe? t-shirts. pants. shorts. BORING.

i want to buy pink. flowery. frilly.

oh please, oh please, for our next child... please be a healthy baby girl.

Meisje
June 24th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Where do you shop? I know it sucks, those stupid superman things. Maybe you can shop online and have more succes than in stores?

I Love Ladybugs
June 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM
That is precisely how I feel about the clothes......and it only gets worse the bigger they get! But I have been able to find a few orange items that cheer me up.....the fact that so much is blue for boys at any age drives me mad!!! And the dinosaur and monster crap...well, we won't get me started on that.

I find it is better to buy fewer nice items that I like within budget than more clothes that I don't really care for. My exception is play clothes....the cheaper off FB the better!!

Wishing for pink for you!! And myself in the selfish, I want to shop for ladybug clothes way!!!

Mrs_P
June 24th, 2013, 03:15 PM
I know it doesn't exactly help but if you are in the UK at all Next has a lovely range this year for little boys - i took my son shopping the other day and we came home with loads

Adia
June 24th, 2013, 03:19 PM
I could easily write the opposite...I am so sick of pink it isn't funny. :wink:

6bluewant1pink
June 25th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I actually think its fun shopping for boy #7 that's what helped me with my GD. I love the Carters brand they have very cute boy clothes.

atomic sagebrush
June 25th, 2013, 11:58 AM
It is fun buying girl clothes, but I think they have a lot of cute things for boys these days. This is like the golden age of kids clothes LOL. I like the surfer and puppy and monkey and guitar styles for boys. But then again I like monsters, tractors, superheroes, etc. they have some awesome Hawaiian shirts for boys.

I just ordered a bunch of clothes for my boys and I had just as much fun doing it as if I had ordered for DD.

atomic sagebrush
June 25th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Orient Expressed is having a sale right now and they have darling things for boys.

BOYS TOPS (http://www.orientexpressed.com/63045/BOYS-TOPS.html)

hotdogz&boyz
June 27th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I actually have found myself a bit "disillusioned" when it comes to shopping for girls.

I have always loved buying for my guys. I don't do bugs or dinos or anything sports, those aren't our style (although if my kid liked it, I prolly would). But they have great overalls, little ties, polos, cargo shorts, little button downs (my fav, especially in the spring/summer with rolled sleeves). I have no trouble finding patterns and colors I love. My favorites for my older son are black, yellow, and orange (not together!). My favorite on my younger are deep brown and lime. We do VERY little blue or red. Although aqua and teal are totally our style. We also have pink and salmon. I refuse to limit what colors they wear and have found some great stuff along the way! I just look for the less obvious stuff. Carter's, Gap, Tony Hawk (at Kohls), Old Navy...they all have provided me some gems of clothing for them. And I buy ahead, so I get good clearance deals :)

But, naturally, when we got a girl, I went nuts in the clothing section. So fun to look at and buy!

But I'll tell ya...little dresses are entirely impractical and the bloomers...arg. They are cut huge or teeny, no in between. Fluffy collars are annoying, toile and flowers are itchy. Pink is all fine and good...occasionally. I just found that I tend to like her best in blue! Lol. It compliments her skin and eyes. It just ended up that I dress her almost exactly the same as my boys...little rompers in cotton with a sun hat. The only clues you would get that she is a girl is the occasional headband (but they often slip down into her eyes, so we don't wear them much). So I admit it "seemed" more fun than it turned out to be. The shopping was fun, but the actual dressing tends to come down to what is comfortable and practical for her, and that ends up being the little colored seperates, all-in-ones, and onesies. They just happen to have different designs.

I am kinda glad to discover I enjoy dressing my boys just as much as I enjoy dressing her. It's pretty equal :)

BabyGirl4Me
June 27th, 2013, 09:44 PM
You really have to look long and hard for boys clothes that are cute. I love the baby/toddler stuff (for both boys and girls) on threadless.com. They were a lifesaver when I was going through EDG with my son. Baby Gap has some really cute things but they are pricey. Now that he's getting a bit older I love dressing him in polo shirts and khaki shorts in the same colors as DH. It's so cute seeing father and son dressed alike. I wish you luck in trying to find things for your son and hope you feel better. *hugs*

Kiara
June 27th, 2013, 10:58 PM
I always find a lot of cute boy clothes. Like in zara for example or h&m. But for example my dd wears boy clothes sometimes and the boy im pregnant with now will problaly wear pink sometimes too . I think in general we should get better with buying what we like (and what the kids like) than just feel that we have to buy blue because its a boy or pink because its a girl. Dresses are often not even comfortable for Little girls (especially when they start to move around more) Hope you will find clothes that you like!:)

1+2+3boys
June 27th, 2013, 11:29 PM
I actually have found myself a bit "disillusioned" when it comes to shopping for girls.

I have always loved buying for my guys. I don't do bugs or dinos or anything sports, those aren't our style (although if my kid liked it, I prolly would). But they have great overalls, little ties, polos, cargo shorts, little button downs (my fav, especially in the spring/summer with rolled sleeves). I have no trouble finding patterns and colors I love. My favorites for my older son are black, yellow, and orange (not together!). My favorite on my younger are deep brown and lime. We do VERY little blue or red. Although aqua and teal are totally our style. We also have pink and salmon. I refuse to limit what colors they wear and have found some great stuff along the way! I just look for the less obvious stuff. Carter's, Gap, Tony Hawk (at Kohls), Old Navy...they all have provided me some gems of clothing for them. And I buy ahead, so I get good clearance deals :)

But, naturally, when we got a girl, I went nuts in the clothing section. So fun to look at and buy!

But I'll tell ya...little dresses are entirely impractical and the bloomers...arg. They are cut huge or teeny, no in between. Fluffy collars are annoying, toile and flowers are itchy. Pink is all fine and good...occasionally. I just found that I tend to like her best in blue! Lol. It compliments her skin and eyes. It just ended up that I dress her almost exactly the same as my boys...little rompers in cotton with a sun hat. The only clues you would get that she is a girl is the occasional headband (but they often slip down into her eyes, so we don't wear them much). So I admit it "seemed" more fun than it turned out to be. The shopping was fun, but the actual dressing tends to come down to what is comfortable and practical for her, and that ends up being the little colored seperates, all-in-ones, and onesies. They just happen to have different designs.

I am kinda glad to discover I enjoy dressing my boys just as much as I enjoy dressing her. It's pretty equal :)

I often wondered if baby girls would be able to crawl in dresses and would it be better to wait until they are toddlers.

Isis, have you seen the thread further down the page about clothes Mums have brought for their boys when they wanted a girl. I put up a list of sites plus a very cute photo. Was hoping the thread would have been more used by now with more photos

1+2+3boys
June 27th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Oh and my partners Mum sends us some beautiful boys clothes from Europe including united colours of benetton.

I always had to try not to look in the girl areas of stores when shopping for my new baby boys. The jeolousy consumed me

hotdogz&boyz
June 28th, 2013, 11:01 PM
I often wondered if baby girls would be able to crawl in dresses and would it be better to wait until they are toddlers.

Isis, have you seen the thread further down the page about clothes Mums have brought for their boys when they wanted a girl. I put up a list of sites plus a very cute photo. Was hoping the thread would have been more used by now with more photos

Yeah, we have not even gotten to that point (dd is only 7 weeks old), but I can assure you we won't be doing dresses when she is crawling. How annoying it must be to them! I think dresses are probably better after the first 15 months entirely. Cause picking up a teeny newborn in a dress is silly too. It bunches all up and exposes their entire belly.

GT77
June 29th, 2013, 09:54 PM
I never heard of orient express!! Just clicked on the site and I love the clothes!! Thanks atomic!! Check out Kelly kid's for boys! Found this other day. Orient express I'm going to order some clothes!!

1+2+3boys
June 29th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Orient Expressed is having a sale right now and they have darling things for boys.

BOYS TOPS (http://www.orientexpressed.com/63045/BOYS-TOPS.html)

Oh my gosh, I love this! Thanks Atomic. This is just the kind of clothes I love for little boys. I hoped DS1 would be a boy partly so I could dress him like that.

isis
June 30th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Thank you all for the support and for the links to websites! I never heard of those.

I think it will get easy when he gets older. H&M, Zara, crew cuts are our style. I don't even know how to dress him up "sporty" lol but right now he only fits 6-9 months and for boys, there isn't much selection.

Some of the stuff I find are ultra cute on boys but I still do look at the girly stuff and just hope one day I can buy one for my own daughter.

1+2+3boys
June 30th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I have brought heaps of unisex clothes for my sons in hope I can use them for a girl one day. Peter Rabbit is good like that

isis
July 5th, 2013, 03:32 AM
My problem is that I can't stand unisex/gender neutral clothes =\ ducks, greens, etc. it's weird tho cuz I hate clothes that scream BOY like monsters, trucks, generic sports, etc (but don't mind stereotypical girl stuff like butterflies, glitter, etc)

Pearl327
July 5th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Ladies I got sick of all the pink clothes and impractical dresses I got for DD when she was born. When I got around to buying her clothes I bought greens, yellows, blues and reds for her. And yes DD used to get very frustrated trying to crawl in dresses. But is happy to wear them now.

I imagine that I am going to get fed up of all the blue clothes for DS too after all the gifts.

You can find lots of lovely clothes for both boys and girls these days. But I know I loved to shop for my nephews because it was different for me.

black&gold
July 5th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Personally, every time I go to buy stuff for my niece or a friend who's having a girl I can honestly say I'm reminded how girl stuff isn't that much better. They always have an annoying animation on their stuff too.. like jeans with flowers on them, or shirts with little cats or whatever. I always thought girls stuff was way better, but I'm personally feeling like that's not the case. Let me tell you.. NOTHING is cuter than a little baby boy wearing skinny jeans from the girls section - I am not joking, both my boys have worn girl jeans up until probably 18 months. Throw on a cute t-shirt, or plaid button up and you have one adorable little man! I am constantly getting compliments on how my sons are the cutest dressed boys ever.. and I swear, it's the girl section skinny jeans!!!!

BabyGirl4Me
July 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I took back a lot of the blue gifts I got for DS and exchanged them for neutrals. I'm so glad I did because they made GD more bearable and I get to re-use all those darling little clothes all over again for my DD. Even though I am having a girl, I'm actually not shopping for pink right now and am grateful for that because DH and I are saving to buy a house next year. We can't wait to be homeowners. So, yet another good argument in favor of gender neutral baby clothes.

isis
July 20th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Personally, every time I go to buy stuff for my niece or a friend who's having a girl I can honestly say I'm reminded how girl stuff isn't that much better. They always have an annoying animation on their stuff too.. like jeans with flowers on them, or shirts with little cats or whatever. I always thought girls stuff was way better, but I'm personally feeling like that's not the case. Let me tell you.. NOTHING is cuter than a little baby boy wearing skinny jeans from the girls section - I am not joking, both my boys have worn girl jeans up until probably 18 months. Throw on a cute t-shirt, or plaid button up and you have one adorable little man! I am constantly getting compliments on how my sons are the cutest dressed boys ever.. and I swear, it's the girl section skinny jeans!!!!

that sounds really cute! i'll have to try that haha!

1+2+3boys
July 20th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I looked in the girls jeans section online too!

Dreamofpink
July 21st, 2013, 03:19 PM
I always try to go for the greens, oranges, yellows etc as I love bright colourful kid's clothes. I hate the slogans with attitude on t-shirts from about the age of 5, either that or in the UK kids clothes are often 'styled' like adult clothes which I also hate. Why would a little 6 year old boy want to wear drainpipe jeans with canvas shoes to climb a tree?!! I just wish that clothes manufacturers would let kids be kids and keep the clothes simple & colourful. Urgh, it's so hard going into the shops and seeing 2 rows of girls clothes to the 1 row of boys, so I often hunt for bargains in the charity shops. I got a lovely pair of NEXT linen boys summer trousers in immaculate condition for 90p! I also got a lovely very padded GAP body-warmer for £5. As ds1 goes through the knees in all of his trousers within a couple of months, it makes sense to buy quality second-hand.

But yes, I totally get your desire to buy girls clothes!! In reality though I think I'd just end up dressing any DD of mine in the same kind of clothes with the odd pink flowery t-shirt. Dresses and skirts are adorable but used to drive me mad as a young tomboy! :wink:

1+2+3boys
July 28th, 2013, 11:07 PM

Just had to post this pic of my boys at 10 months old since I was posting it elsewhere anyway http://genderdreaming.com/forum/multiples-more-merrier/7655-identical-twins-not-identical.html. Boys clothes shopping can be awesome if you know where to look. These were hand made and from a trade website so a rare and lucky find that I actually brought for my DS1. At the time I thought I wish I had twin boys so I could put them one in each so I can't say all my wishes are un-granted!

lemonade
July 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I agree that boy shopping doesn't have to suck. In fact it can be just as fun as girls' shopping if you know where to look and what to look for. I've had tons of fun shopping for my son. Also, from what I've seen of girls' sections, a lot of it is just as garish and ugly. Animal print, loud colors, sparkles, logos and characters all over everything.

As soon as he started sitting up, I have loved dressing my son like a little old man in the cooler months, with chunky pullover sweaters, vests and scally caps. Few things are cuter than a baby boy dressed like that, and he'd get nonstop admiration.

Before he could sit up, I loved dressing him in rompers and one pieces, and those adorable baby legging pants. He looked unbelievably cute.

I avoid all sports things, logos and writing, loud colors and graphics, skulls and all those things that take away from the sweetness of my baby boy. I also loved putting him in neutral things in the earliest days too.

I've had LOTS of luck with Baby Gap and H&M especially. Old Navy, Carters, Crazy 8 and Gymboree can sometimes be good too if you're choosy.

Granted, I've only ever shopped for a BABY boy, so I'm not sure if things start to go south once they get out of the baby and toddler sizes. But I will continue my quest for good boy clothes!

Shakti
August 8th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I definitely get this! So much boys and girls clothing is way more about trying to get them to conform to typical gender roles than I'd like. For boys clothes, I'd rather not get ones with ferocious dinosaurs or monsters on them. Their vision of masculinity needs to not be about aggressiveness. Also, I really can't stand clothes with badly drawn teddy bears, over-the-top characters (tasteful ones are ok), etc.

I'd rather stick with clothes that my husband wouldn't be embarassed to be caught wearing an adult-sized version of. I'm in Europe, so far I've had ok luck with H&M and HEMA, but other affordable ones would be good.

prettyflamingo
August 17th, 2013, 01:19 AM
I HATE the boy clothes. My sister and I used to spend hours trawling the girl clothes sections, dreaming if how we'd dress our baby girls if we had them, and we've ended up with five boys between us. I constantly come out of the shops crying with frustration and how ugly the boys clothes are and how beautiful the girls clothes are. What I simply don't get at all is who decided that boys could only have dinosaurs and monsters and transport! I HATE those things. Why can't boys have cute long sleeve tops in white with little rabbits or elephants in them? Or even little stars or teddies or anything oter than horrible slogans. Also the UK is all about making baby boys look like teenagers which is silly. I only buy very few things for my boys, all plain or classic, and occasionally I do find cute babyish things in gap or h and m. I too dress my boys in girl skinny jeans in winter with little braces and white t shirts or little body suits. I know it will get harder as they get older. So frustrating. So sad. So jealous if everyone with little girls.

trifecta
August 17th, 2013, 02:08 AM
NOTHING is cuter than a little baby boy wearing skinny jeans from the girls section - I am not joking, both my boys have worn girl jeans up until probably 18 months. Throw on a cute t-shirt, or plaid button up and you have one adorable little man! I am constantly getting compliments on how my sons are the cutest dressed boys ever.. and I swear, it's the girl section skinny jeans!!!!
I did that too, for my older boy! He is skinny and very long-waisted so I needed the shorter inseam. My younger boy has a more athletic build but he also has longer legs so I couldn't use any of the girl jeans on him and had to buy new ones from the boys' department. I like Old Navy for jeans. I always get trendy sneakers for them, too. That's my weakness. Little white dresses break my heart but I do find things I like for my boys.

Mabel_79
August 18th, 2013, 03:22 AM
Anyone from the UK know where I can get some cute baby-gros that aren't blue, grey or cream?
I'm so fed up of boring baby clothes. My mother-in-law even said to me how boring boys clothes are. She buys so much stuff for her other daughter-in-law's little girl but has never bought a single thing for my boys (except for one pair of summer shorts which were in a sale because it was now coming up to winter so they couldn't wear them)!
Need some inspiration (that's not going to break the bank!)

rainbowflower
August 18th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Anyone from the UK know where I can get some cute baby-gros that aren't blue, grey or cream?
I'm so fed up of boring baby clothes. My mother-in-law even said to me how boring boys clothes are. She buys so much stuff for her other daughter-in-law's little girl but has never bought a single thing for my boys (except for one pair of summer shorts which were in a sale because it was now coming up to winter so they couldn't wear them)!
Need some inspiration (that's not going to break the bank!)
Next?
I know what you mean, though. I find boys clothes uninspiring too

3littleladies
August 28th, 2013, 10:33 PM
When I was pregnant with my third and was certain it was a boy, I bought 3 little outfits from a brand called 'Jack & Milly' so so cute, Ive kept them because Im going to give them to one of my daughters one day if they're blessed with a boy, I live in Australia though!

I have to agree with you, girl shopping is so much fun, hope you get your girl!

monkeysnuffer
August 29th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I wish this one was stereotype about boys that would just go away. When I was pregnant with my son it made my GD that much worse to be surrounded by 20 girl items for every one boy item.

THe only size that was cute in the boy section was the very very newborn ones. THe rest were so boring.

Boys exist. I don't understand why clothing manufacturers can't see this!

GeCon
August 29th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Totally agree. Had an email from a well-known shop today: beautiful girly dress and some boys clothes in dark camouflage.

Just because I have a boy I do not want to dress him in dark, dull colours or camouflage.

*Argh*

Mabel_79
August 29th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I had a cry in Tesco yesterday when I went looking for some new sleepsuits and found two aisles of beautiful girls clothes and one tiny section of boys in greys and blues. Husband walked off in embarrassment.

I am so tempted to set up my own clothing business- if I knew anything about sewing that is- as I bet there are some really cute fabrics out there that would be great for little boys but all the shops seem to think we want Monster Trucks and Dinosaurs.

I have found a couple of cute things- there is a clothing make called Hatley which does some nice designs, but it's very expensive so will treat myself to one outfit as his 'going home from hospital' outfit.

Maybe we should all go into business together and set up a company selling really cute clothes just for boys!
X

GeCon
August 29th, 2013, 06:00 PM
but all the shops seem to think we want Monster Trucks and Dinosaurs.

And Angry Birds. :rolleyes: No, I do not want my son to wear Angry Birds tshirts, pyjamas, socks, etc.

GeCon
August 29th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Mabel, I liked your post due to the suggestion of Hatley not because you cried in Tesco.

I have seen them before, but never bothered due to the price, but will have a look again...

1+2+3boys
August 30th, 2013, 01:56 AM
I had a cry in Tesco yesterday when I went looking for some new sleepsuits and found two aisles of beautiful girls clothes and one tiny section of boys in greys and blues. Husband walked off in embarrassment.

I am so tempted to set up my own clothing business- if I knew anything about sewing that is- as I bet there are some really cute fabrics out there that would be great for little boys but all the shops seem to think we want Monster Trucks and Dinosaurs.

I have found a couple of cute things- there is a clothing make called Hatley which does some nice designs, but it's very expensive so will treat myself to one outfit as his 'going home from hospital' outfit.

Maybe we should all go into business together and set up a company selling really cute clothes just for boys!
X

I had some awesome and such cute ideas for boys clothes and even brought heaps of retro fabric and sketched down my designs. But I can't sew :( I so would have gone into business otherwise. I said I will learn to sew if I have a girl but even if I do I think I would make boys clothes for all the Mums like us who do not like the usual boys clothes

GeCon
August 30th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I have started a thread here for us to share our cute finds:

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/baby-child/33763-lets-share-our-beautiful-boy-clothes-finds.html#post461410