PDA

View Full Version : Fifth disease ? (slapped cheek) really worried :(

5boysandcounting
June 25th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Hi, I've had my 5 year home today with fifth disease, also my dh has had it the past week, he's had lot of joint pain which is a symptom in adults. I'm pretty sure my two year old had it a few weeks back. I never thought anything of it at the time as he does sometimes get red cheeks due to his eczema but now knowing what I know I think it was the same.

I'm so worried, I've spoken to my doctor who says I can get a blood test to see if I've had it before or recently have had the infection. Anyone had any experience with this? Had to have the blood test done etc and how long did you wait for the results?

nuthinbutpink
June 25th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I think the biggest worry is when you get it before 20 weeks. Even then, the risk isn't tremendously high for something happening to baby. I am sure all is well.

Northern_Shutterbug
June 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I can understand your worry, its one thing they're investigating as a cause for Evelyn's problems. But, like previous poster said, I think its before 20 weeks, which is when most of the organs and brain is formed.

5boysandcounting
June 25th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I can understand your worry, its one thing they're investigating as a cause for Evelyn's problems. But, like previous poster said, I think its before 20 weeks, which is when most of the organs and brain is formed.

Thank you, it's really good to hear from you. I was following your blog and was heartbroken for you. You are one really brave lady. I admire you a lot. X

Mrs_P
June 25th, 2013, 04:12 PM
its something that was going around my boys school a while ago (we are in the middle of a chicken pox outbreak now - which one of my boys has currently). Doctor said i was too far along to need to worry about it - its only really a concern if the baby is before 20 weeks or right on delivery

pebmcpd7
June 26th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I came in contact with it 6 weeks ago. My OB said not to worry, that with 6 boys I more than likely had it at some stage. Well when my results came back I was NOT immune!! They repeated the test 2 weeks later and I was clear, don't worry, most people have had it, I was just one of the ones that hadn't...

5boysandcounting
June 28th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the reassurance. I had the blood test yesterday week so I will be worrying all week end now while waiting for results. Mrs P, what bad timing for you with your little boy getting chicken pox! :( it's such a worry isn't it? I'm sure everything will be fine though, hun. My youngest hasn't had chicken pox yet either so it has been worrying he might catch it as it seems to be going around at the moment.

ELP
July 1st, 2013, 08:25 AM
I have been booked in for the blood test on Wednesday, its currently going around the nursery and I have had a dry wracking cough all week, I know in dogs its called kennel cough so Im hoping theres no connection.

5boysandcounting
July 2nd, 2013, 04:09 PM
I have been booked in for the blood test on Wednesday, its currently going around the nursery and I have had a dry wracking cough all week, I know in dogs its called kennel cough so Im hoping theres no connection.

I'm sure you will be ok, though I can definitely understand the worry! My dh caught it off my son and he's had a lot of joint pain which is apparently one of the main symptoms in adults.

My 10 year old is showing signs of it now too so I'm just hoping I'm immune with three people in the house who've had it what's the chances I haven't had it or won't get it if I'm not immune? :( My blood results still aren't back, I just wish they'd hurry up as it's on my mind constantly.

Good luck with your blood test tomorrow. Let me know how you get on.

ELP
July 4th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Thankyou 5:) I had the test yesterday and they said for me to phone back in next week, so hopefully it will be clear sailing for us both:) Really they should check maybe with our booking in blood tests shouldnt they? Even if just to tell you to take extra caution if we here of it around!

Hobbermittens
July 5th, 2013, 06:44 PM
I used to work at a daycare center. A coworker was pregnant sduring a 5th disease "epidemic" (bunches of kids got it) and she never caught it--her doctor told her that many people have it as children, but never remember. Her baby was just fine. Hopefully you had it as a child. I would get the blood test to reassure yourself, and in the mean time try to wash your hands a lot to minimize transmission from your kids.

5boysandcounting
July 7th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Thankyou 5:) I had the test yesterday and they said for me to phone back in next week, so hopefully it will be clear sailing for us both:) Really they should check maybe with our booking in blood tests shouldnt they? Even if just to tell you to take extra caution if we here of it around!

They should definitely add it to the routine blood tests they do in early pregnancy. It would certainly save a lot of anxiety. I hope we both find out that we are immune to this. Good luck :)

5boysandcounting
July 8th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Finally found I'm immune to this today! Phew. Elp let me know how you get on with your results. I'll keep my fingers crossed your immune too :)

fish2012
July 9th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Whoop whoop that's brilliant news