PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding Question

Mommyof3boys
July 6th, 2013, 01:20 PM
This is the first baby I have breastfeed. I know that when you breastfeed your baby is supposed to have seedy mustard color bowel movements. My baby is eating often and will eat for around 30 minutes or so when he eats but his bowels are mucousy and more green in color. They were mustardy color earlier this week though. Has anyone had experience with this? I looked online and it said that often this is caused by either a dairy intolerance or not getting enough of the fattier hind milk. I'm personally hoping that he is not getting enough of the hind milk because that should be easier to fix. My thought was that I would try to pump out some of the fore milk before I fed him so he would get to the hind milk sooner and get more of it at least until I know if that is what is going on. I seem to have enough milk to pump some first because hen he is done eating my breast is not empty. Does anyone have any suggestions?

cvd
July 6th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I have breastfed both my boys, I don't remember with Ryder but with Hudson - every now and then his poop will be a greener colour (not often I'd say 1 out of 10) then it goes back to yellow. Does it stay green for a while? I personally just thought maybe it was something I ate that made it change colour, I never thought to look further into it! Is he fussy? I'd think if he has a dairy intolerance he'd be fussy too with an upset tummy, but I'm not an expert at all lol. Just be careful with pumping toooo much because then your body will just produce more milk thinking the baby is needing it!

Mommyof3boys
July 6th, 2013, 02:50 PM
It has been green since Tuesday. He probably poops 5 or 6 times a day but it usually isn't very much at a time.

atomic sagebrush
July 6th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Yes, it's because your supply is very generous and he's getting more of the fore milk vs. the hind milk. This will improve over time as your supply corrects; my concern with having you pump would be that you'll keep your supply higher and the problem will just continue - you dont' want to have to pump forever.

My advice would be that a few minutes before you are ready to feed, gently massage your breast that you're planning on starting the feed with and think for a moment about feeding your baby when you do. You should experience "letdown" and when this happens, if you don't feed right away, it can give time for the hindmilk to mix a little better with the foremilk and then over time, he will get a little bigger and start to drink more, and your breasts will get a little better at regulating supply, and things will balance out.

Mommyof3boys
July 6th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks, I will try that. He goes to the doctor on Monday, hopefully it ill be better by then.

5boysandcounting
July 7th, 2013, 05:54 AM
My little boy was like this a lot when I was breastfeeding. His poo was often very green. I exclusively expressed for him as he wouldn't latch on so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. My health visitor was not concerned when I told her though.

Atsaukina1
July 7th, 2013, 05:48 PM
is he nursing on one side or both? you could just have him nurse one side(pump other one) and nurse from opposite side. also you could just hand express some out first and then have him nurse

Atsaukina1
July 7th, 2013, 05:49 PM
bf poop does go through many colors and also affected by what we eat:)
it's good he's pooping and peeing lots:)

BabyCakesTor
July 7th, 2013, 09:53 PM
A dairy intolerance usually (from my experience) is accompanied by gas and baby acting "colicky". I would try what previous posters have said about the hind milk and if that doesn't help, I would eliminate dary items from your diet... Which is hard because its more that just milk and cheese... You have to read labels... I had to eat very bland and carefully with DS3 because of this. Also remember that it takes at least 3 days for things you've eaten to leave your breast milk.

Here's a site that I frequented while nursing my son..

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/foremilk-hindmilk/

RKT Mama
July 8th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Personally I wouldn't stress too much as long as he is peeing, pooing and gaining weight. Baby poo comes in lots of colours that don't usually mean an issue.
You can try "block feeding" on one side only for 3-6 hours so he gets more fatty hind milk and then switch to other side for same period.

fish2012
July 8th, 2013, 04:49 PM
If its just the poo being green that's making you worry I'd try and stop!

My boys often had oddly coloured poo and excluding dairy can lead to intolerances later in life so id only exclude any food from your diet on the advise of a health professional x

Leebug
July 8th, 2013, 10:52 PM
I liked atomics advice & I used to do the same.sit in a comfy place massage breast.I did this with a warm washcloth on top.let the milk come down for a bit before he nurses.