PDA

View Full Version : reading with children

atomic sagebrush
December 30th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Note - not reading TO children, I have plenty of time to do that!

I used to read all the time when my older boys were little, but for whatever reason now with my two little ones I CANNOT read a book to save my life!!!

Seriously, when I have 5 minutes to read a book, first I have to go find my book under 40 piles of various child-related stuff, then find a place to sit that is not occupied by someone. Then I read three words and someone needs something. So I have to get up and do whatever it is that needs doing.

Then the baby gets my book and rips the dust cover. I retrieve the book from Baby, who cries until I get him a toy if I'm lucky, or a breast if he's hungry. Then once he's happy I try to start reading again, but I've forgotten what I just read, so I have to go back and reread it. When I do that I realize I've actually forgotten the parts I read yesterday so I have to go back and read those too.

At which point I realize I actually missed an entire chapter earlier on in the book and that's why nothing makes any sense, so I should probably just start over again from the very beginning! In the background, Spongebob is giggling and it's impossible to concentrate because someone is always throwing something at someone else, so it takes me 10 minutes to get through one paragraph.

Then it's time for my husband to get up for work and the whole thing was a complete waste of time because I have chores to do!!!

Is it just me??

Liv
December 30th, 2010, 11:35 AM
LOL! I can't even read my gossip magazines. I quickly flip through it just to see what everyone is wearing.

Between the baby, boys and DH, I probably get through the first paragraph before I'd have to feed/change/settle and fight/cook dinner etc....

december
December 30th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Nope. I used to read every night before bed. That doesn't happen any more :(

grasshopper
January 1st, 2011, 10:25 PM
I miss reading too...I was such a bookworm pre-kids.

Eden
January 2nd, 2011, 02:23 AM
I find it hard to read too. I always have to stop to get someone a snack or a drink or make lunch. so I end up spending more time on the computer ;)

atomic sagebrush
January 5th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Yes, it's easier for me to do the computer or FB because if I get interrupted, it's not so distracting somehow! I honestly think that's why I spend as much time on the computer as I do - I don't have to get as lost in it to enjoy as I do a book or movie, so if someone's harassing me, it's not as obnoxious!!

nuthinbutpink
January 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I thought this post was about reading TO children.. Ha...no books for me here. Although we do read with our kids individually before bed everynight. We divide and conquer here.

snakesnsnails
January 5th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I do all my reading at night after the kids are in bed. If it's a good book, which it usually is, I stay up much too late. Luckily, I'm a fast reader and can read most books in less than a week.

xnicolax
January 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I love to read a good book but I dont get chance either. In fact I darent because through the whole twilight saga I switched off to anything going on around me, you should have seen the state of my front room when I looked up.

atomic sagebrush
January 7th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Ha, ha Nicola - I was reading the third Twilight book on my husband's 40th birthday and I could NOT put it down!!! Worst wife ever!!!

Catch!
January 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I still read before bed most nights. I love reading, I read about 100 books a year. But I will forgo other things like watching TV and laundry to read :)

I will also sneak a chapter in here and there when DS is playing by himself, or if I need a break at work.

GreaseMonkey
January 7th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Glad I don't like to read...I am finding hard to be on the computer for more than 5 minutes before someone wants something from me lol

lindi
January 19th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I have not read a book that wasn't a parenting book or a magazine in longer than I can remember! I don't think my brain has that kind of attention span anymore...and I used to love books...