PDA

View Full Version : Waiting to tell people you are expecting?!

XXPlease
July 8th, 2013, 01:20 AM
How long do you plan on waiting before announcing you are expecting to friends and family? My Husband and I agreed that if at all possible we are going to wait til we know the gender to reveal we are expecting to family and friends (my mother knows but only because she lives with us).

thehappypixi
July 8th, 2013, 02:54 AM
I've told so many people already! I'm rubbish at secrets, mine anyway!

Gizzyntaz
July 8th, 2013, 07:50 AM
We will wait until after we hear the heartbeat which will be late in the first tri. Most of our family is 3000 miles away, so we may wait a little longer to tell them...We haven't told our kids yet - we were going to tell them before the first appt.

cassieakasam
July 8th, 2013, 09:40 PM
We would tell my mom right away, close friends after 13 weeks and i would hide it at work until it was obvious like 5 months plus!!

Typical_Jules
July 8th, 2013, 09:47 PM
not telling :) so exciting keeping this to ourselves. not sure when. im so bloated it will be obvious soon!!

XXPlease
July 8th, 2013, 09:50 PM
The only reason I want to wait to tell people is because I already know I will get people saying things like "this one needs to be a girl" "team Pink" telling me my mil needs a granddaughter and so I the baby already is whatever it is the last I want to hear is people telling me what it should be I also really don't want to have to deal with the "you guys really need a girl" "maybe next time" comments if its a boy I figure if we just announce we are expecting a baby____ this spring no one will say anything because it will be new news at least that's the hope it is one thing dealing with desiring a gender I don't want friend and family opinions telling me what I want or need of course my husband and I want a girl we already have two boys I just feel it will be loads easier if its a boy without their opinions!!! I'm pretty sure that makes me sound crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

mommy2j&l
July 8th, 2013, 10:51 PM
The only reason I want to wait to tell people is because I already know I will get people saying things like "this one needs to be a girl" "team Pink" telling me my mil needs a granddaughter and so I the baby already is whatever it is the last I want to hear is people telling me what it should be I also really don't want to have to deal with the "you guys really need a girl" "maybe next time" comments if its a boy I figure if we just announce we are expecting a baby____ this spring no one will say anything because it will be new news at least that's the hope it is one thing dealing with desiring a gender I don't want friend and family opinions telling me what I want or need of course my husband and I want a girl we already have two boys I just feel it will be loads easier if its a boy without their opinions!!! I'm pretty sure that makes me sound crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do not sound crazy at all!! I can completely relate, as that is what I heard with DS2 from all of my family.

This time around, I am going to stop drinking any alcohol 4-5 months before we even start trying (usually have a glass of wine with mil when we visit), I don't want people knowing ahead of time & saying things like that to us again!

I think your plan sounds fair! You should be able to enjoy your pregnancy without having to go through that :)
On the other hand though, is it hard for you to keep it a secret? Will it cause you to be even more stressed out?

Best of luck to you & hoping you have a happy & healthy bundle of cuteness :crawl:

XXPlease
July 8th, 2013, 11:29 PM
No it shouldn't be hard to keep it a secret I am a stay at home Mom my husbands family doesn't live close so I should be able to hide it without much trouble if I want to share with someone of my choice I could my husband wouldn't mind I really don't think it will be too difficult to hide other than the fact that I get killer morning sickness while pregnant but I'm hoping to keep that hidden from others I'll probably just stay home a little more say I'm not feeling social or something and this will sound crazy but once my MIL had said she hoped we would have another boy so we could use a boys name I like and it made me mad because she knows we really want a girl so I don't want her possibly sending me boy vibes she can be dramatic in a negative way sometimes like I once told her that one way or another she will have a granddaughter someday (her only other child doesn't want kids ours will be her only grandkids) and she said something to the extent that if we had a daughter its not like she would ever get to spend time with her just the boys because my mom would want her all the time ( dramatic!) plus I kind think she resents the fact that I open desire a daughter as well acting like I think of our boys as less than which I for sure don't and I know for a fact she wanted her second to be a girl which he wasn't so I don't see the difference she was unable to have more kids because of a undiagnosed RH factor..... I think life will actually be easier keeping to us so we can really enjoy everything!!!!

XXPlease
July 8th, 2013, 11:33 PM
If I did think it would be more stressful or hard to keep it a secret we would tell people but I really think keeping it a secret is less stressful and hard though I did have a dream that my husband did tell his parents and I was pissed LOL I also don't see the point in sharing the news and then swearing people to secrecy!

Tiggerian
July 14th, 2013, 04:09 AM
I'm struggling to keep it quiet - but i don't want to tell people just yet. I'd like to wait until we've been to our 12-week scan, just in case.

sugarNspice
July 14th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I'm not telling anyone until at least 20 weeks this time around, but I've had so many losses that I'd rather not talk about it--not because I have something to hide, but just because the less I talk about it, the less I think about it, and the less I get attached, and I don't want to even start to get attached until they've found a heartbeat, at least.
So far, I'm not sick, or even bloated, really. Not many symptoms at all, which to me seems like a sure sign that this is not going to last.
I think telling or not is a really personal decision: if you did have a loss, would you rather have people know, so that they could support you through the process, or do you feel like you heal better when you're by yourself or when your DH is your primary support? For me, this has changed with each pregnancy.

lovemy2blessings
July 14th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I'm not even pregnant yet, but this time I would like to announce when I know the gender. Previously, I have announced at 12 weeks.

atomic sagebrush
July 14th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I waited to tell people till I knew the gender and it was the smartest thing I ever did. Luckily for some reason, my tummy was not very noticeable, prob. because it was winter.

retrolove1
July 14th, 2013, 04:48 PM
That is a really good idea, hadn't thought of that. So far we have only told my mum, step dad, sister, OHs parents and I had to tell my manager because I work with cytotoxic drugs.
I'm constantly bloated though so think I will struggle to keep it a secret until I'm 20 weeks. Our family have been good and just said that it doesn't matter what sex it is as long as it is healthy, however I know they all want a girl because there are no granddaughters on either side.

I think I will not tell them the scan date so can just go round there and announce the sex.

X

iwonder
July 14th, 2013, 11:59 PM
We told our parents because they happened to be in town and I know I'd want their support if something happened with this pregnancy. But we are waiting to tell close friends until around 12 weeks, and I am considering not sharing the news about the baby on FB or with others until our gender scan. I am only 5.5 weeks and looking at least 3 months because of all the bloat, as I have heard is common by the third pregnancy. WoW! Not easy to hide from people who see me every day.

sushikitty
July 15th, 2013, 12:42 AM
I am waiting too. Just because I had a FRER BFP then 2 dollar store BFN. I am thinking until 20 weeks when we know the gender. I also had a chemical m/c before our 5th child. I announced my pregnancy too soon and had a chemical. It was so hard to be like, "nope nevermind..."

sbowman
July 15th, 2013, 01:01 AM
I will probably wait a while too. If I'm lucky enough to conceive a healthy baby, I'll be in a country where they refuse to tell gender until 22 weeks, so that's probably when I'll announce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kitty0911
August 26th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I'm waiting until Christmas (25 weeks). Mostly because I will know the gender and have had enough time to come to terms with any disappointment. We also think a Christmas reveal will be fun. I don't even look bloated until 28 weeks so it will be pretty easy to hide it :)

tmbabcock
August 27th, 2013, 10:48 AM
We're gonna wait till Thanksgiving (18 weeks) we will know the sex by then. I just don't feel like hearing my family and friends teasing me about it being a 3rd girl. The only people that know are my sister and my best friend. We haven't even told our girls. We won't tell them until we tell everyone else. My oldest is 4 and I know it'll slip out to everyone else if we tell her.

gurly
August 27th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I've only told a couple of people. I'll make it public probably at 4-5 months. I will probably reveal the gender at the same time, but I'm thinking up a cute way to announce it.

TTCaPRINCE
September 5th, 2013, 09:01 AM
We are going to try and wait until our 8 week ultrasound so we can have DD show up to both of our parents houses wearing a big sister shirt and when they finally notice what it says she can show them the u/s.

4 blues~hopingforpink~
September 12th, 2013, 12:50 PM
I'm undecided on when to tell people... Last time I told everyone almost immediatley only to lose the baby at 4 months. So I think I will tell my family after the first ultrasound and friends probably after the 16th week mark.

Ribenaberry
September 12th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Two different kids a school mentioned it today, one asked me outright!! So at 8 weeks i think im gonna find it hard to not tell people anymore.

We told family last sunday, and my friends worked it out when we went out or food at 6 weeks, so apart from a few key people at work most people know now anyway. I wont be announcing it to the world but i am not going to deny it anymore - its bloody obvious lol.

Xxx

Funkyfry
September 12th, 2013, 03:25 PM
It's still early days for us but we will wait until 12 weeks before announcing it to most people. Will probably tell parents and a few close friends earlier, maybe 8 weeks

HopefulMonster
September 13th, 2013, 04:41 AM
I was intending to tell family after the my 7.5 week scan but now that's come and gone I've already put it off till I have the 12 week scan. Really hoping for a nub shot!

Breithjs
September 15th, 2013, 11:29 PM
I've told a couple of family and close friends, but will probably wait until at least 8 weeks to tell anymore close friends and the rest after we know the gender.

XXPlease
September 16th, 2013, 12:19 AM
I have managed to keep it a secret still and we go Saturday for our private ultrasound to find out what we are having depending on the news we will be telling people probably no more than a week later but I can't lie if its a girl I may have to tell everyone immediately because I don't think I will be able to contain my excitement!!!

tmbabcock
September 16th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Yeah so we were gonna wait till Thanksgiving but my husband couldn't help him self and kept asking to tell everyone. So we told immediate family and a couple of friends. We're gonna wait to fully publicly announce until we know sex.