PDA

View Full Version : lab results in today...

iwonder
July 16th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Since I am hypothyroid and have had a m/c likely due to low progesterone, my midwife checks on my progesterone soon after BFP. At 4w1d my hcg was 32 and progesterone was 18. Now at 5w4d my hcg is 4891 and progesterone is only 19. My hcg is doubling on average every 33 hours, which is sooner than it normally does. But I am a bit worried since my progesterone hasn't really increased in 10 days. I began taking prometrium supplements 200mg today so I hope that helps. I had to take progesterone from weeks 6-11 with DS1 but not with DS2. Not looking forward to the mood swings I get from them. :think: Anyway, hcg level doubling eases my mind a bit but I am still hyper-aware of every little cramp!

Anyone else take progesterone supps to help the bean stick?

Update: see below in thread

atomic sagebrush
July 16th, 2013, 09:37 PM
if beta is doubling, feel good about that!! prog. will catch up in time if baby is developing normally.

iwonder
July 16th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the reassurance @atomicsagebrush! btw, I just noticed that new pic of your little girl. She is precious. :) What a character!

Tiggerian
July 17th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Yea you gotta celebrate the little things - so yay! HCG is rising thats good!

sugarNspice
July 17th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I've had viable pregnancies with lower progesterone than that--those numbers look good to me (great hcg rise), and I wouldn't worry too much, especially since you're already going to be taking prometrium.
My ob would be fine with your numbers, and would not supplement, but my RE likes to see higher progesterone, and so would probably add a supplement, as you're doing. I've always had a short lp, and borderline progesterone (very low in lp on non-conception cycles) and since I've had so many losses, I now take Crinone, just in case it helps.
My RE prefers Crinone to Prometrium because it acts more specifically on the uterine tissues--so your baby/uterus gets more progesterone, and you get fewer side effects (mood, etc.) Because it's a vaginal suppository, Crinone may not raise blood progesterone levels as much as oral supplements, but it's thought to be more effective because it goes just where it's needed.
But I'd be happy with your numbers if it were me.

iwonder
July 17th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Thank you @tiggerian and @sugarnspice. I've had low p for a while too, which makes me nervous about early m/c. I do take Prometrium as a suppository so I don't get much in the way of symptoms but I do feel it make me more snappy and fatigued. My RE had me taking progesterone injections with my first pregnancy...she was way conservative. My OB didn't think I needed p supplements with my 2nd pregnancy. Midwife now says I might not, but it won't hurt since my numbers are on the low side of normal.

iwonder
July 25th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Update to lab results...

I had my first visit yesterday. Ultrasound showed a little bean with 104 heartbeat. Measured 6w1d, although by LMP I would be 6w5d (not exactly sure when I Od). Bloodwork done yesterday, progesterone has gone up to 24. Beta came back at 50,300. Midwife said it is high for 6 weeks, and is prob why I have been feeling so ill when I did not feel sick with my other pregnancies (and my betas were on the low side).

So, I feel content with the numbers rising but I hope the heartrate increases because I think that's on the low side, she said it must have just started beating. Also hope baby catches up in size and doesn't fall further behind in measurements. I wish I didn't worry about things so much but when you've had an early loss it is so hard not to...

sugarNspice
July 26th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Congrats on finding a heartbeat--google queen that I am, I looked at studies just now, and it doesn't seem that 104 is considered low at all for 6 w 1 d--if you're unsure of your dates, this is likely to be normal development. Still, I understand the compulsion to worry.

Also, yaaay for great hcg numbers (high betas after 5 weeks are more likely to be pink). :happy: