PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here Hypothyroid and Pregnant?

OnlyPraying
July 19th, 2013, 12:37 PM
This is my first pregnancy being hypo, and I have no idea what should I do now that I have my BFP. I'm on 75 mcg of synthyroid and My TSH is at 1.8

Tiggerian
July 19th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Have you called your doctor?

sugarNspice
July 19th, 2013, 03:04 PM
hi OnlyPraying,

This is my 7th pregnancy since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. As far as I know, my thyroid issues have not been responsible for my losses. 1.8 is great for a TSH level, so you're starting out your pregnancy in a good place.

Because I've had multiple m/c, I see an endocrinologist who tests my levels (TSH, T3, T4) every four weeks during pregnancy and adjusts accordingly. Even if your levels are well controlled, pregnancy can change things, so it's important to get regular monitoring. Do you see an endocrinologist, or does your regular primary care doctor manage your levothyroxine? If I were you, I'd give that person a call, just to let them know that you are pregnant, and ask how frequently they'd like to check your levels. Your ob or midwife can also check them, and this is something you should definitely mention during your first appointment.
Don't let my history of losses scare you--my DD#2, who is healthy and happy, was born while I was on thyroid replacement medication, and it was an easy and uneventful pregnancy.
Many women have successful pregnancies while taking thyroid medications, but it is important to get a little bit of extra monitoring. Levels don't change all that quickly, so checking too often isn't productive either.

:fx: for a healthy & happy nine months, and congratulations on your bfp!

mommymachine
July 19th, 2013, 03:08 PM
1.8 is fantastic! I get my thyroid checked every 6 weeks while pregnant and breast feeding (very important). I usually have to adjust my dose every time I check it. My thyroid was radiated so I have nothing from it. I'm currently on 250mg of synthoid.

iwonder
July 19th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Congrats!!! Definitely let your doc know you got a BFP and you will prob need to be tested at least every trimester, if not every 4-6 weeks. I get tested once per trimester, but I have subclinical hypothyroidism and take a very small dosage. TSH of 1.8 is a good number for most people, some people do better under 1 but most docs would think that's fine if you are not having symptoms of being hypo. Good luck and congrats again!

OnlyPraying
July 20th, 2013, 02:31 PM
God bless you ladies! Such informative comments! I have booked an appointment with my doctor and will ask her to write me TSH bloodwork. Thanks again! :)

gurly
August 10th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Hi! I had half of my thyroid removed last year so this my first pregnancy hypothyroid. I take 75mcg levothyroxyn and my levels have seemed to stay balanced. I need to hurry up and see the endo to make sure they stay balanced