PDA

View Full Version : Better to do a 5 day Fresh Transfer or a FET later?

Beans626
July 20th, 2013, 03:33 AM
I am doing my one and only try at HT gender selection. My clinic does a microarray CGH at day 5 biopsy and they are now offering a fresh transfer as well as any biopsy of day 6 embryos (with a double shipping fee of course). I am not so much interested in a shipping fee as I am trying to find out if the chances are better of a day 5 fresh transfer if possible or a FET at a later date?

I know FET are statistically better due to the opportunity to get the endometrial lining more in sync with preparation for implantation. However, I also realize the 95% success rate of an embryo surviving the thaw.

I only have one shot at this, so I am thinking of telling them that if there are at least 2 normal females to do the fresh transfer while freezing one, and if there are none on day 5 then do no transfer with the hopefulness of being able to biopsy and freeze something on day 6. What do you think from a success standpoint?

I am 38 with the following:
AMH: 0.32
AFC: 10
TSH: 2.05
FSH: 7.7

Carole
July 22nd, 2013, 09:08 AM
I think your approach is reasonable- transferring 2 fresh normals.

I have some reservations about the fresh day 5 biopsy, 24 hr turnaround and day 6 ET. We used it a few times, and almost immediately had a case in which the 24 hr turnaround didn't happen because of shipping issues (cancelled or delayed flights) and then we had an ageing embryo on day 5 with no genetic info and had to freeze anyway.

Assuming your lab has good vitrification skills- I like the idea of getting all the embryos biopsied- even if it happens over two days- getting your results on ALL your embryos and being able to choose among the whole set, not just the half or less from day 5--even though you have to wait a month for transfer. If you don't feel good about the lab freezing (but 95% success rate with thawing is not bad). Of course, since you are only selecting for gender, getting partial results in not a big deal. If you were trying to avoid a genetic disease, having partial results- only from the first day biopsy is a bigger problem.

Wishing you the best of luck , whatever you decide!
Carole

I am doing my one and only try at HT gender selection. My clinic does a microarray CGH at day 5 biopsy and they are now offering a fresh transfer as well as any biopsy of day 6 embryos (with a double shipping fee of course). I am not so much interested in a shipping fee as I am trying to find out if the chances are better of a day 5 fresh transfer if possible or a FET at a later date?

I know FET are statistically better due to the opportunity to get the endometrial lining more in sync with preparation for implantation. However, I also realize the 95% success rate of an embryo surviving the thaw.

I only have one shot at this, so I am thinking of telling them that if there are at least 2 normal females to do the fresh transfer while freezing one, and if there are none on day 5 then do no transfer with the hopefulness of being able to biopsy and freeze something on day 6. What do you think from a success standpoint?

I am 38 with the following:
AMH: 0.32
AFC: 10
TSH: 2.05
FSH: 7.7