PDA

View Full Version : How much does HT cost? How do you afford it?

SugarSpice&EverythingNice
May 10th, 2011, 12:49 PM
As the title says, how much does HT cost, and how do you mamas afford it? I am not sure I could afford it, but if I could I would.

Is there a cheaper way to do HT? Because I read that you can only do PGD with IVF.....is there a way to just pay for PGD and do a TBM at home? I do not have problems with getting pregnant, so I was wondering if you HAVE to pay for IVF to get the PGD?

nuthinbutpink
May 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM
HT can be overwhelming with all the info! First, PGD is the process of the biopsy of an embryo and analyzing chromosomes so it could never be done at home and you cannot make an embryo without going through IVF.

Costs vary but the main costs are the IVF cycle itself, the PGD cost medication and possibly travel expenses. All in, if you do not have Infertility coverage through insurance can be somewhere around $15,000-$20,000 per try. It is not inexpensive.

My meds were covered by my insurance even though the cycle was not. Medication can average $2000-5,000+ so insurance coverage can definitely help. You have to check with your carrier to see what is covered, if anything.

Microsort used to be an option and you could do an IUI (not at home though) with that instead of IVF but it is not available while they wait for FDA approval.

HTH. Just ask away!

SugarSpice&EverythingNice
May 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM
So is this correct: with IVF they make babies in you (joining sperm and egg) and then once the sperm/egg form an embryo THEN the Dr does a biopsy to see if they are XY or XX, and then they get rid of the ones you don't want? I have state insurance in wisconsin, so I am sure that it does not cover IVF :(

nuthinbutpink
May 10th, 2011, 02:51 PM
It may cover you...depends on how your doctor(RE) submits your info to insurance. My doctor would have submitted mine and the billing department lots of times could care less why you are there, they just ask if you have insurance.

They stimulate your ovaries to make a bunch of eggs, you go through an egg retrievel procedure where they put you under to take them out, your DH provides his "sample" and they take your eggs, his sample and make embryos in a dish! Then on day 3 after the ER procedure, they take one cell from the embryo(they are all identical cells at that stage) and can analyze the chromosomes for gender and health if you want. 5 days after ER, they put the desired gender ones(one or two- up to you) back in you in an egg transfer procudure for which you are awake and is painless. Michaela might know more about the state mandated coverage!