PDA

View Full Version : Do they do IUI with PGD?

Dannie
July 29th, 2013, 12:19 PM
A friend of mine who had IVF last year said they do....but I can't seem to find that it's even a possibility. Is she wrong?

nuthinbutpink
July 29th, 2013, 12:26 PM
No. PGD is biopsying an embryo- embryos are created with IVF.

She is thinking of IUI with Microsort- sperm spinning for gender- they no longer offer that in the USA and Only offer IVF with Microsort in the 2 locations it is offered- North Cyprus and Mexico.

nuthinbutpink
July 29th, 2013, 12:26 PM
There is a HT Guide for Newbies in the Member section that teaches you about the HT process!

atomic sagebrush
July 29th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Tell us more about what you mean when you say "IUI".

If you mean the procedure where they insert your hubby's washed sperm inside your uterus (Intrauterine Insemination aka IUI) then no, it is impossible to do that because the fertilized egg will be inside your body and cannot be removed to test it with PGD. The only way to do PGD is on embryos that are created in a petri dish and then tested with PGD before insertion in your uterus.

BUT some people do sperm spinning with IVF and there's also ICSI - I just want to be very sure you/she are not mixed up about the acronyms. The sperm spinning can weed out some of the "wrong" gender sperm and may yield a better gender split with more of your desired gender, so you would have more eggs of your DG to implant.

And ICSI is (well heck I don't even know what that stands for LOL but it means where they inject your husband's sperm into your egg). And some clinics do use ICSI with PGD, so if you are dealing with male-factor infertility and need to use ICSI just to conceive, then it is def. a possibility to do PGD even if you need ICSI.