PDA

View Full Version : Using Vitex like Clomid?

Hopeful1
August 1st, 2013, 02:11 AM
I have been thinking about how I got pregnant 4 years ago and what, if anything, I did differently. I used Vitex that cycle (first one) but I stopped after 18 days because I was nowhere near ovulating. After I stopped I ovulated about 10 days later and got pregnant. I was taking a fairly high dose (1600 mg) and I took it for a fairly long time. But apparently it did *something* because I finally got pregnant after 4 years of TTC and several thousand dollars at the RE.

I am wondering if the reason it worked was how I used Vitex, like an extended Clomid dose. I am wondering if a higher dose (say 3200 mg) for a shorter time (say 8-10 days) would do the same thing. I cannot find anything about anyone using Vitex in this way and I don't know if this would hurt me. Anyone have any ideas/input?

atomic sagebrush
August 1st, 2013, 02:43 PM
I would not have you take that much. We have had people use 1200-1600 but that is the absolute max I have ever seen. I think the key for you was taking it for about 2 weeks and then stopping it and waiting for ov. that has worked for quite a few people with highly irregular cycles. So my recommendation would be to take 1200 for 14 days and then stop and wait. Starting on CD 9 you should take OPK daily and if you get a positive, you should stop the vitex immediately and have an attempt. Vitex can also cause early ovulation too.

Hopeful1
August 1st, 2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks! I didn't know that was a technique. I'm going to try it next cycle and see what happens.