PDA

View Full Version : Eggs maturing after retrieval

jacqueline
May 12th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Hi Carole - I had ER yesterday with around 6-8 of my eggs deemed as immature. I thought that meant they would just be discarded, but my RE said sometimes they can mature out of the body, but they would not perform ICSI on them because once they strip the lining for ICSI, they will not mature further.

So they attempted to fertilize them using standard IVF. I did not expect much, but we got lucky and almost all of these eggs fertilized. So my question is, can I expect the embryo quality from the "immature" eggs to be as good as those that came from the mature eggs using ICSI? Thank you so much!

Carole
May 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Hi Jacqueline,
I certainly would feel optimistic at this point. You'll probably see some differences in embryo progression among any group of embryos and it's impossible to attribute it to differences in egg maturity even though that can theoretically play a role, among other factors. I would not worry about things at this point because you are off to a good start with the fert report. Good Luck!! :) Best Wishes, Carole

jacqueline
May 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Thank you so much for your prompt reply Carole!