PDA

View Full Version : Natural Child birth

nuthinbutpink
December 30th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Because I want to learn, tell me those of you that chose to have natural child birth(no pain meds)- why?

Not asking in a smartass way either, I really want to understand better. I've had 4 and 4 epidurals and all 4 came out fine, BFing, high Apgar, etc so I don't see any health concern...is it just to see if you can take it? I'm not that strong I guess.

hopefulfornumber3
December 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I had my 2nd DS with no pain meds, all natural. I used Hypnobirthing to prepare and it was wonderful. I am not sure why I did it to be honest. I just wanted to experience it and have a baby the good ol natural way and have it be easy and peaceful without the nurses hustling around me and all those cords attached to you etc. It was a big "I'm a woman hear me roar moment" that's for sure.

Lilac♥
December 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM
For some reason I just never felt good about epidurals. Then they made me get one with my 1st and I hated it. It messed up my back, I had a hard time going to the bathroom for a while afterwards (because of the catheter), I hated feeling helpless and having a difficult time holding my baby, I couldn't feel to push and ripped, and I felt like the doctor and nurses were in control and I wasn't. I also hate the IVs, but they won't let me not get one. But I'm also not brave enough to not do it at the hospital, so I would never consider a home birth and there aren't any other options where I live. I'll admit I've only done one birth completely drug free, since I've received IV narcotics with all the others. But I think that has a lot to do with the nurses being unsupportive. The doctor and nurses would rather ladies get the epideral, because then they can put off the delivery until it's more convenient for them since the urge to push isn't as strong. Out of my 4 deliveries the doctor has only been there on time, where I didn't have to wait, once and that was just out of luck. And it really sucks to resist pushing and try to breathe through it. But I think the pain from the labor and delivery is so temporary that I'd rather not have to deal with the epideral. For me the afterpains are always worse anyways, I think I would take the epideral then if I could! But going from feeling very little pain to feeling everything all at once isn't very fun. So yeah those are my reasons for choosing not to get the epideral.

december
December 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM
As a doula, I've learned a lot about natural birth vs. medicated birth. For me, the risks are too high. It -can- interfere with a normal birth, it increases your chance of a cesarean, and it -can- interfere with breastfeeding, and it does increase the chance of more interventions. I've seen it happen. I've had it ruin things with L's birth (necessary cesarean due to dvt/pe). Epidurals do have an effect on baby. That doesn't mean that these things -will- happen... but they do increase your chance. I'm not okay with that risk.

We were made to give birth. In the vast majority of cases, interventions are not needed. I mean, thank goodness they are there for when they are needed... but more often than not they aren't.

NBP: You ARE strong enough.. you probably just didn't have someone there to really (and I mean REALLY) let you know that you can do it. Doulas are pretty awesome for that ;)

december
December 30th, 2010, 07:44 PM
And when I say I've had it happen with L - I mean that the drugs from the cesarean made him unable to latch. He refused from the very first time we tried. He never latched and it broke my heart. That's why I'm doing the EPing thing.

Azuremyst
December 30th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Im not sure why anyone wouldn't want a natural childbirth. If anyone has seen "The Business of Being Born" it gives great insight as to why the USA has a high infant mortality rate with more c-section births than any other industrial country. The more you interfere w/ natural birthing the more that can go wrong.

Women have been birthing since the dawn of time. Not in a hospital, not w/ a an epi, not even in water. So why make it so medical now unless your high risk?

Im going natural...that's my plan no meds. So I can have control over my body & baby can breastfeed well, I heard epi's interfere w/ that and i've heard of a woman dying from an infection from an epi. It all seems worth the pain to me.

If my mother can do it with me coming out facing up...all 9lbs. of me, no meds, no c-section, I can do it too.

december
December 30th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Completely agree with Azuremyst. She said it much better than I!

I so wish you lived near, I would love to doula for you! ♥

Catch!
December 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I had a natural one because I was forced to. I lived in a remote northern part of Canada at the time, and if you were not having a C-sec then an epidural was not an option, as they only had one anaesthesiologist. I will admit that it did hurt, and I would have taken the epi gladly if I could, but looking back on it I think it was great. It was fast...5.5 hours of labor total, and I felt great afterwards. I walked back to my room, I was up and walking around with my DS the next morning. I am hoping to do it natural the next time around too. Oh and also, my DS was 9lbs, and I am a small girl, and it still went fine. I only had about 4 stitches after.

Azuremyst
December 30th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Completely agree with Azuremyst. She said it much better than I!

I so wish you lived near, I would love to doula for you! ♥

Awwwe I wish you could!! I see 4 different midwives and one is always on call so I know one of them will be there for me when Olivia is born.

RedCanoe
December 30th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I seem to dilate to 10 cm without really knowing that I'm even in labor, and after that it's too late to get the epidural (at least at my hospital). That was alright with DS#2 that I was able to push out in 1/2 hour (screaming for an epidural the whole time, lol) but not so fun with DS#1 who took 8 hours of pushing to come out (ugh!). So it wasn't really a choice....

nuthinbutpink
December 30th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Well, I can only speak from my experience X 4 but for me, the epidural totally relaxed me, and made labor something I looked forward to. I didn't have any issues though so I guess that is why.

Lilian78
December 31st, 2010, 10:32 AM
Choice was made for me--no time LOL. But I had the toughest recovery and hardest time breastfeeding with my medicated birth (IV meds, followed by too late epidural). I don't think I would consider an epidural even if I had the time now.

grasshopper
January 1st, 2011, 11:16 PM
I wanted a natural birth with no interventions with my first pregnancy...my Mum and Sister both had nearly all natural births (both of them had a set of twins thrown in there) and I felt it was the best way to go.
I felt like the doctors took over (4 midwives, 2 different doctors)...they made me have the induction iv after my waters broke and my contractions were irregular. Then my baby started experiencing D-cells (huh?) so they spent ages talking me into an epidural which I absolutely did not want. Then of course I couldn't feel to push and tore horribly and lost a lot of blood. I honestly feel that without all of the intervention things would have been fine.

So with pregnancy #2 I decided to go to the Birth Centre (attached to the hospital) where it would be just a midwife and nothing else. My birth prgressed very quickly and the baby was already crowning before we got to the Birth Centre...I was already too progressed for drugs anyway and it was the easiest, most amazing birth I could have asked for. I was fully aware, baby was fully aware, we were able to do the baby-led attachment and it was in a very relaxed environment with just DH, myself and the midwife. I recovered very quickly, felt fantastic and was out of hospital the next day.
I would love to have a home birth with midwife next time but DH is just not quite confident enough. I will go back to the birth centre and do it all again without drugs provided I have no other complications of course. My vote is for a natural birth all the way.

SpottyBear
January 3rd, 2011, 07:17 AM
I had an epidural for DS. It was grand, never worked completely though so I still felt plenty! Especially as he was 10lb4! I had an episiotomy and recovery from that was hard.

No pain relief at all with DD as she arrived in a very big rush! Waters broke at home at 1.15am and she was born 1hour and 20mins later - 10 mins after I arrived in the delivery room. 3 pushes in 2 mins and she was out! All 9lbs 15oz of her! Will say those 2mins were VERY VERY painful! Sorry but ouch ouch ouch! Old E scar tore so a few stitches but SO much easier to recover from!
Next time will most likely go without the epidural but will take gas and air I'd say!! Its the actual delivery that scares me though! I found mind over matter and concentrating solely on breathing and staying very focused and calm works great for the contractions but its a different matter when it comes to crowning etc! OOH ouch again!!

whiteicequeen
January 3rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
Apart from not liking needles the though of a needle being put in my back really freaks me out. In my first pg with DS1 I was so scared of going through labour and had bad nightmares but when it came to the actual thing it wasn't as bad as i thought maybe I have just a high pain threshold. I always start taking Raspberry Leaf from about 30 weeks and I think that has helped. When I first start getting pains they start coming about every 5mins and by the time I get to the hospital I am always about 3 to 4cm dilated. My 1st pregnancy last 7hrs 15mins, 2nd lasted 5 hrs 10mins and 3rd lasted 3hrs 35mins from 1st pain till baby born. And I have always managed with just Gas and air.

I would advise anyone to try and give natural birth ago before opting for an epidural. It is a great experience and then if the pain is very severe and you find it unbearable then opt for epidural.

I am thinking of trying for a waterbirth this time.

december
January 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Then my baby started experiencing D-cells (huh?) so they spent ages talking me into an epidural which I absolutely did not want. Then of course I couldn't feel to push and tore horribly and lost a lot of blood. I honestly feel that without all of the intervention things would have been fine.

Decels. As is heart decelerations. It's actually normal for a baby's heart rate to dip during a contraction. It's usually only a big concern if the heart rate stays down. I'm not sure why they tried to pressure you into an epidural though. That makes no sense. I'm sorry your doctors were so intervention happy. :(

It sounds like your next birth went really well! Congrats.

TnT
January 3rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
I went natural with DD2 because my labor was so fast and I didn't have a choice. With DS, I chose to go all natural at a Birth Center. It was a much better experience than my 2 hospital births. I felt much more in control of my own body. I was able to shower, take a bath, walk around...all of which helped with the pain. In the hospital I would have prob wanted an epidural because laying in a bed the whole time seems to make things hurt even more. I also wanted a natural birth to reduce my risk of a c-section.

Dreaming
January 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM
My biggest fear with DS1 was having to have an epidural - I was so scared of needles (amazing I did HT)!! I was open to the idea of having one if the childbirth pain ever became unmanagable or if I stopped progressing - but I kept progressing fine. With DS2, I knew I could cope with the pain, so why not do it totally naturally. I went to a birth center second time and had a wonderful water birth - so much better than when I was in hospital. I do however vividly remember the tearing sensation - which although it only lasted a couple of seconds was quite awful - the only downside of not having an epidural for me!

Missyslair
January 6th, 2011, 11:04 PM
My first the anesthesiologist was in a c-section... so i had pitocin and thats it. Worst experience ever.

With #2, he came in 3 hours, by the time i got to the hospital, the nurses didnt even have time to put a heart monitor on me. But I was under the impression that when i felt the need to push, i wasnt suppose to, thanks to the dang jerk first doc. But when the nurse said "if you have to push, do it". That made a world of difference.

I know my body and trust what it is telling me to do. I like knowing Im birthing the way God intended FOR ME. All the hormones they give you artifically causes your body not to produce your own.

With #3, I knew she would come fast and I already had 2 with no epi and it was not bad at all, so I went with a midwife. Good thing because she came in 1.5 hours from first contraction to in my arms, LOL. The midwife barely made it to my house in time.

I look forward to labor, even with the pain and all. People who havent experienced it are afraid that it will be much worse than they can imagine. Its not. The crowning hurts like crazy... but 10 seconds later you meet you baby and thats all that matters!

xnicolax
January 7th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I like the idea of a natural birth, and with my first, that is what I planned. I had no idea what was coming. My first labour was absolutely horrific! If id had him at home with no medical intervention I dont think i would have made it, I lost so much blood. The following 3 were fine.

Hollie86
January 8th, 2011, 02:09 PM
With DS1 i had a totally medicated birth, I was induced because he was 11days overdue, the pain was awful, i thought i was dying, now i know that was all because of being induced, before DS1 i had no idea that being induced actually makes your labour more painful, i had pethidine and when that didnt work i then had an epidural, which seriously messed me up, i couldnt walk for 2 whole days! i also couldnt feel to push and ended up needing forceps and an episiotomy, the doc then cut through one of my main arteries and i lost way too much blood. With ds2, i went into labour myself on his due date and it couldnt have been more different. I thought my waters may have broken so went to the ospital to be checked out and was only having mild contractions, they were weaker than the braxton hicks id had lol, and when i was examined i was already 7cm! i got through the next few hours using just gas and air and once i felt the urge to push i didnt hold back and he was born 10mins later. DS3, was 5 days late but i also started on my own, within an hour of the labour starting he was born, the midwife didnt make it and the paramedic ended up delivering ds3 in my bedroom. the paramedics gave me gas and air but i didnt feel the need to use it as i was already pushing when they arrived, he was born after 5mins of pushing and he was my biggest baby (10lb2oz) and the easiest birth by far. This time around im planning a homebirth because i doubt we'll make it to the hospital lol! But i also only plan to use gas and air if i really need it. I dont have anything against people who do prefer medicated births and its all down to personal choice but for me, the more natural path was definately the easiest. :)

Pixiedoll
January 9th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Well I had a completely natural birth for one reason.. I have emitiphobia-fear of throwing up! I didn't even have gas and air cos vomiting can be a side effect.

All I did was use the tens machine. Yes it was bloody painful but not at one stage did I even contemplate pain meds, as it was bearable.

I didn't think much of it (as it was my own madness that made me deny myself meds...lol) until the midwife came round a few hours after DS was born and said 'wow you've recovered so fast! -that's because you had no medical intervention'...and looking at it, I think she had a point. I delivered the placenta naturally 1/2 an hour after DS and then was up having a shower within the hour and bumbling around the ward doing my own thing.

I PRAY I get a chance for a natural birth for this little girl as it was an incredible experience that I treasure everyday, but hey as long as they get her out in one working piece that all that bothers me!
The moment as DS finally came out into the world is a physical feeling that I replay to myself over and over to myself. If it can be done, I recommend it.
xxx

Azuremyst
January 12th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I just found out my hospital doesn't give epi's anymore. I am feeling so much more confident now about a natural birth knowing I won't be pushed into an epi.

nuthinbutpink
January 12th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Where would they not offer epidurals?

Azuremyst
January 12th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I haven't found out that reason, my friend who is due in May contacted them about it, she won't birth there because her birth plan is to go for an epi. She said they use something else similiar to an epi but it's not the same.

skrimpy
January 12th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Well I believe in natural childbirth... I run a website on it :p

But really, for me, I wanted the best for my babies. Also, my mom had major health issues and was always on tons of medications, in and out of hospitals, etc. It was an environment that I associated with pain and suffering - for her *and* for me. I wanted to be as far away from that as I could when I started my own mothering journey. I also wanted to labor on my terms, so I chose a homebirth and have had a homebirth with each of my children.

I also used to hear the ladies at my church sit around and talk about the epidural headaches and pain they had after having their babies, and I didn't want that. My DH's niece had a botched epi that left her unable to walk for awhile. I just wanted to stay away from those.

But mostly I didn't want to be in the hospital! Here in the US that means no pain meds since we don't have gas and air or TENS really here.

For my last two babies I had a birth tub and that was the best. My last baby was an accidental Unassisted Birth - our midwife didn't make it - and it was wonderfu. I was the first person to touch my baby, and DH the second. Our baby felt our hands, not latex gloves. He was born by candlelight and didn't cry, just started breathing and looking around right away. It was amazing. I think it was an awesome way for him to begin his life :D

skrimpy
January 12th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I haven't found out that reason, my friend who is due in May contacted them about it, she won't birth there because her birth plan is to go for an epi. She said they use something else similiar to an epi but it's not the same.

Could it be they only give spinals? Those are normally given for an emergency c-section - they take effect very quickly and last for only a couple of hours. They allow you to be awake for the section, though. If I ever transferred from our homebirth for an emergency section that would be my choice (rather than knocked out under general anesthesia).

nuthinbutpink
January 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM

But really, for me, I wanted the best for my babies. Also, my mom had major health issues and was always on tons of medications, in and out of hospitals, etc. It was an environment that I associated with pain and suffering - for her *and* for me. I wanted to be as far away from that as I could when I started my own mothering journey. I also wanted to labor on my terms, so I chose a homebirth and have had a homebirth with each of my children.

I also used to hear the ladies at my church sit around and talk about the epidural headaches and pain they had after having their babies, and I didn't want that. My DH's niece had a botched epi that left her unable to walk for awhile. I just wanted to stay away from those.

But mostly I didn't want to be in the hospital! Here in the US that means no pain meds since we don't have gas and air or TENS really here.

For my last two babies I had a birth tub and that was the best. My last baby was an accidental Unassisted Birth - our midwife didn't make it - and it was wonderfu. I was the first person to touch my baby, and DH the second. Our baby felt our hands, not latex gloves. He was born by candlelight and didn't cry, just started breathing and looking around right away. It was amazing. I think it was an awesome way for him to begin his life :D

I totally get it about wanting to be in the moment, connected, etc. but maybe it is just me or I was fortunate enough to have a good team of midwives/doctors(a midwife delivered all but one of my babies) but I always felt in control, never ever felt like I would have a C-section for any reason at all and they let me labor and did not force me to do anything I didn't want to do. I also got to deliver my babies. I was the one to grab them and pull them out(of course the midwife/doctor made sure nothing happened) but it was not any scary or out of control expereince at all. Very quiet. Very peaceful. 2/4 did not cry much. My last one screamed his head off...that is his personality though!

Nobody can force you to do anything no matter where you choose to deliver.

Azuremyst
January 12th, 2011, 11:46 AM

That's awesome!! May I ask what website this this? As far as going natural im so looking forward to, I cannot wait. The only thing according to the baby book that I think would stop me is if the baby happens to be breech when i go into labor, I pray that this doesn't happen. She's not breech right now, but im 28 weeks, they told me she's got plenty of time to move back into breech. ugh.!

xnicolax
January 12th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Natural birth's do sound amazing but I dont think I could get through the crowning without at least gas and air. That is pretty much all I had with 2, 3 and 4. I think I had a shot of pethadine right before DS3 was born though.

skrimpy
January 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I totally get it about wanting to be in the moment, connected, etc. but maybe it is just me or I was fortunate enough to have a good team of midwives/doctors(a midwife delivered all but one of my babies) but I always felt in control, never ever felt like I would have a C-section for any reason at all and they let me labor and did not force me to do anything I didn't want to do. I also got to deliver my babies. I was the one to grab them and pull them out(of course the midwife/doctor made sure nothing happened) but it was not any scary or out of control expereince at all. Very quiet. Very peaceful. 2/4 did not cry much. My last one screamed his head off...that is his personality though!

Nobody can force you to do anything no matter where you choose to deliver.

I have no doubt that if I went to the hospital I could have a good birth. But I am a stubborn, overbearing kind of person. And now I have 4 births under my belt and know how it's done :p A lot of women do get bullied into a birth they don't really want at the hospital, though.

But in the end, for me, I don't like hospitals. I don't care if I could have a good "normal" vaginal birth there. I don't want an IV, I don't want a hep-lock. I don't want anyone telling me anything I can or can't do about food or drink. I liked that DS3 was born with no lights on, just candlelight. I liked that I had DS2 and DS3 in the water... not just laboring in the tub. I liked that I had my baby, got into my bed, and stayed there cuddling my LO without having to "go home."

There's just a million reasons I liked being at home. Having run a website on natural birth for 5 years now, I also understand that a lot of women choose differently. I have tons of birth stories on my site and many, many of them are from great hospital births - I read all of those and I respect the choices of all of those women.

But for me, I can't imagine having my last 4 births in the hospital would be in any way as awesome as it was having them at home. I have no doubt I could have had nice hospital births, but I'm glad I didn't go that route. I deal with hospital/medical staff during my pregnancies for u/s and other tests we opt to have - and those are generally good experiences... but in the end I want to have my babies at home with no interventions and no procedures :) It works for me.

skrimpy
January 12th, 2011, 01:30 PM
That's awesome!! May I ask what website this this? As far as going natural im so looking forward to, I cannot wait. The only thing according to the baby book that I think would stop me is if the baby happens to be breech when i go into labor, I pray that this doesn't happen. She's not breech right now, but im 28 weeks, they told me she's got plenty of time to move back into breech. ugh.!

My site, if it's ok to post, is Natural Birth and Baby Care.com (http://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com) :)

Also, there is a lot you can do to help your LO stay head down. Firstly, it's very good that she's already that way - mine have always turned around that point and have never turned again. Good posture will help her stay that way (do not slouch back in chairs... such luxuries are not for pregnant women!) Also, "cat stretches" on your hands and knees help encourage babies to be in a good position. Doing *anything* on your hands and knees is good - prop up on pillows to read or watch TV, etc. Also, since she is already in a good position, lots of walking, especially on stairs, helps her settle into that position for good.

Having said that, under most circumstances I would try and birth a breech baby vaginally :) It's not as easy now because most care providers automatically section for it and have forgotten how to deliver breech. But it can and does happen, and there are still older OB's and there are midwives who are skilled in breech deliveries.

Azuremyst
January 12th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the link! I am checking it all out right now. I will be having my LO in the hospital. Im very happy w/ the care there though. I use a team of supportive midwives, one of which will be there when Olivia is born. One of my midwives runs our mindfulness childbirth based class which DH and I both attend and practice at home. They will allow for a waterbirth there as well. This place has honestly amazed me. They really push against drugs and interventions. They don't even offer epi's at my hospital, it's something simliar though. They have even advised against those women expecting sons against circumsing their babies. This truly is an amazing hospital im very lucky (so im told by the staff! lol)

grasshopper
January 12th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Decels. As is heart decelerations. It's actually normal for a baby's heart rate to dip during a contraction. It's usually only a big concern if the heart rate stays down. I'm not sure why they tried to pressure you into an epidural though. That makes no sense. I'm sorry your doctors were so intervention happy. :(

It sounds like your next birth went really well! Congrats.

Ahhhhh...Decels...makes sense to me now....thanks. I couldn't understand why they were so worried...everything felt just fine to me and I still think it would have been. They did say bub's heart rate was taking longer to increase after each contraction but that only started happening after they gave me the syntocinon drip (which they pressured me into after I told them I had noticed a small amount of lightly yellow/green colouring in my waters-had only seen it initially upon breaking and no sign of it again). That synto really sucked...I will never have it again...I truly think neither bub nor my body were ready for labour yet and it was forced on me. That's why I found my natural birth so wonderful...my body just knew what to do and so did bub. I know the doctors were under alot of pressure during my first birth as there were two other ladies in labour at the same time as me that were both only 27weeks along (one baby made it and one didn't) and to be honest I think they were trying to push me along so they could deal properly with the other ladies...understandable but I truly hated feeling that pressure from them and would have rathered if they had just left the midwives to deal with me without their intervention.

skrimpy
January 13th, 2011, 09:16 AM
grasshopper - if you encounter baby heart rate issues in another labor you could ask the team to let you change positions. My first bub's heartrate went down and started having trouble coming up and my midwife had me get on my hands and knees, which corrected the problem immediately. She said sometimes they get into a position that stresses them, and moving around lets them change positions, too, and get back to being born :)

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
January 14th, 2011, 01:47 PM
With #1 I had a c-section because the baby had decels before I was in labor. With #2, I spend my life researching VBACs- vaginal birth after cesarean and joined ICAN. I hired a doula. I was more obsessed with vbac than I am in pgd for a boy. I got the epidoral after 7 cm, the baby was in a posterior position, and she was having decels and when I pused she did not come down at all. I just hear the word decels, posterior and a million other things when interventions are used. For some though it works for. Like some float above water and some drown. So I had a cbac with her- Cesarean birth after cesarean. It was devestating. I felt like such a failure.

For #3, I hired a doula again and I used the Webster Technique at about 32 weeks. This is a technique used by chiropractors to keep the baby in an optimal position.

My doula was amazing. We stood in my house for most of the labor and when we got to the hospital, I was 9cm. I will not lie I wanted to take something to relax me. After that it was time to push and the baby came out and it worked for me. I had a vaginal birth.

So for me part of it was going natural would give me my best chance to birth my baby vaginally.

Now to go of the topic one of my dreams came true (the vbac) but I have 3 girls so my new obsession and ream is to have a boy :)

grasshopper
January 14th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Giving birth flat on your back seems the most unnatural position to me...I did it with my first because I was told to and vowed I wouldn't do it with my next...I wanted to use gravity and a different position to help open up my pelvis.
With baby #2 I was on my feet during the whole labour process in our apartment until I got to the Birth Centre...I was already crowning when I got in the car but noone seemed to believe me (not DH not my sister and not the midwife when I got there)...think I seemed too calm. The Midwife told me to pop onto the bed so she could take a look...I told her if I laid down that I would not be getting back up and I didn't want to give birth on my back and she assured me I wouldn't...noone believed I was that far along. It was the ONLY mistake throughout. As soon as I laid down and the midwife took a look I knew that was it. I couldn't move as I just had to push and she was out in a couple of pushes. So I ended up birthing both on my back. Next birth I will be 100% listening to my instincts...I shouldn't have worried about the midwife needing to see and just squatted and pushed...I was doing my best to hold on and wait for everyone else and I honestly wanted to push her out back at the apartment...I had been in agony trying NOT to push. Next time I will be birthing as soon as I feel the need no matter where we are. Even giving birth is a huge learning process (actually it's probably more of an UNLEARNING process...unlearning all of our preconceived western ideas about how we SHOULD be giving birth). We don't trust our instincts enough I think.

OneLastDream
January 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I had a natural birth with DS1 just used a tens machine - they gave me gas and air and I tried and didnt like it - I was completely fine until the head crowned and then I wanted pethadine but it was too late!!! I was all set for the same with DS2 (whom we thought was DD!) but the tens machine decided not to work and he was back to back and I was at home and the midwife gave me no choice but to have gas and air! He came out weighing 10lb so I was grateful of the gas and air!!! DS3 was born with gas and air in a birthing pool - definitely my favourite place and would opt for every time if I could!!! The reason I didnt want an epidural was because I am absolutely terrified of needles and was petrified something would happen should I have an epidural!!

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
January 15th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I had a natural birth with DS1 just used a tens machine - they gave me gas and air and I tried and didnt like it - I was completely fine until the head crowned and then I wanted pethadine but it was too late!!! I was all set for the same with DS2 (whom we thought was DD!) but the tens machine decided not to work and he was back to back and I was at home and the midwife gave me no choice but to have gas and air! He came out weighing 10lb so I was grateful of the gas and air!!! DS3 was born with gas and air in a birthing pool - definitely my favourite place and would opt for every time if I could!!! The reason I didnt want an epidural was because I am absolutely terrified of needles and was petrified something would happen should I have an epidural!!

I am in the US (New York) and at the end of my pregnancy I was dying to get a tens machine, but I just could not find a way to do it. My doula was not trained in using it and dona.org said that some on the list use tens machines but I was not able to get a new doula at that point.

OneLastDream
January 15th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I am in the US (New York) and at the end of my pregnancy I was dying to get a tens machine, but I just could not find a way to do it. My doula was not trained in using it and dona.org said that some on the list use tens machines but I was not able to get a new doula at that point.

We can just hire them in the UK - you can hire them from lots of different high street shops or online or you can even buy your own - they are very cheap to hire. We dont have doula's (well I dont know anyone who has had one) although I like the sound of them! They are very good but I didnt use one with DS3 as was in the birthing pool. Congrats on your pregnancy x

prettyinpink18
January 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I think the women who go natural are like superwoman. I had 3 very perfect epidurals as I am a huge baby with ZERO tolerance for pain, lol. My birth plan each time only had 1 component, EPIDURAL, and as soon as possible!!

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
January 15th, 2011, 07:40 PM
We can just hire them in the UK - you can hire them from lots of different high street shops or online or you can even buy your own - they are very cheap to hire. We dont have doula's (well I dont know anyone who has had one) although I like the sound of them! They are very good but I didnt use one with DS3 as was in the birthing pool. Congrats on your pregnancy x

LOL I am not pregnant. I am just posting on here because I had a natural birth with DD3 and I love talking about it and reading information, stories etc.

OneLastDream
January 17th, 2011, 02:00 AM
LOL I am not pregnant. I am just posting on here because I had a natural birth with DD3 and I love talking about it and reading information, stories etc.

Lol sorry!!! I am sure my brain has popped out for a bit I think in reality I just think everyone is pregnant or wants to be because I do!!!! Congrats on your DD1 though!!! And your DS's too!!! x

LolaInLove
April 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
I want to have a natural birth this time, I tried so hard to do it with #2. I had a C-sections with #1 as she was sunny side up and, of course, I didn't know any better. Like NYF, I researched VBAC like it was my job and hired a doula and had a great VBAC, although I ended up with an epidural at 9cm! Long story short, I had been laboring for 14 hours with back to back horrid contractions for the last 3, and I was just plain exhausted. I started to feel the bearing down "grunting" part, and I got terrified of the pain of crowning and just plain chickened out. My doula understood, I had been laboring for so long.

All that being said, I dream of a natural birth....all that you wrote about your last birth, Skrimpy, is exactly what I'd love. I am a bit scared to not be in a hospital with a history of a section, but I would LOVE to try to have a natural birth. It's the crowning pain I'm afraid of, and a deep down fear of it, too, because my labors hurt like a SOB. Maybe I have a low pain threshold, but I heard the crowning "ring of fire" part is a million times worse.

Zivic-Bubac
April 1st, 2011, 02:46 PM
I had 2 unmedicated natural births and it was horror both times. Well, 2nd time was a tiny bit easier because it didn't take that long. I was screaming and yelling from the top of my lungs and just wanted to die. Maybe I have low pain treshold as well,, maybe I wasn't designed completely for labor, maybe I'm spoiled ( like midwives were telling me all the time),.....I repeat, no medications whatsoever. It was NOT my choice, here you have to pay extra cash for epidural + bribe to the anesthetist. I'm petrified when I think of another labor, I better start collecting some money ASAP! lol!

So my advice would be: why going through this if you have a choice? Anesthesia is a blessing.

BTW, I felt like a cripple after both labors, esp after 1st, coudln't walk properly for a week.

Tulips
April 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM
I had an induction due to Pre-E with my first and an epidural due to sky rocketing BP, hated it, didn't feel in control couldn't move around and couldn't walk as soon as baby was born.

My second I had a natural birth spent most of my time on the shower knew when I was in transition, knew when I was at the pushing stage and was in complete control got to choose my pushing position which I did instinctively . I know there was some pain but I don't remember it and as soon as he was born it was over and I could feel everything lay him down on my legs to look at him and feel everything. No gas no drugs I much preferred it.

iluvmyman
April 2nd, 2011, 02:53 AM
I've given birth to 4 children. With my 1st DD, I was given Pitocin and had the narcotic (I think it was) put into the IV to take the edge off of the contractions. I did not enjoy the Pitocin at all since they make your contractions a lot harder and there was really no brake in between them. I fell asleep for a few hours after I gave birth.

My next 2 births (DD and DS) were all natural. My labors are about 4 hours start to finish (for the record and to my SIL, that doesn't mean because it's short it doesn't hurt :p). I hardly make it to the hospital an hour or so before I give birth.

Birth #4 was my DS who passed away. We gave birth to him at home in a birthing tub w/ a midwife. The ultimate outcome was tragic but I don't think it had anything to do with the home birth. The birthing tub was Amazing with the warm water and the ability to move so easily to whatever position felt natural. Plus my children were in the room and my husband was very connected in our own environment and we didn't have to deal w/ things I don't love about the hospital births.

I would say the birthing tub was the best "birthing" experience. I would still choose no pain meds since 1. I don't want that needle in my back 2. I never get there on time anyway 3. I'm not a hippie but I do believe natural is better on a lot of things. I love organic everything and homeopathic alternatives. Acupuncture was great for morning sickness btw. 3. I really do believe it's safer. 4. I find that right before I think I can't endure anymore it's time to push and yeah!

That being said, childbirth is painful and if you need/want the meds, then go for it!

P.S. I can't help but add my :twocents: to a personal pet peeve of mine that has nothing to do w/ anyone's posts. I think women need to stop competing on who had the hardest and most painful delivery. Giving birth is not a competition! :)

Zivic-Bubac
April 2nd, 2011, 04:50 AM
My impression was completely opposite: that there was a competing going on who had the easiest delivery:wink:
IMO, it is completely individual experience, although no one can say it doesn't hurt like SOB.

ELP
April 2nd, 2011, 06:19 AM
Interesting topic and I'm gonna add a little twist at the end if I may, in short:
Baby 1 What's the injection they give you?? Can't remember but I had that and gas and air, wouldn't do that delivery again lol
Babies 2 & 3 Just G & A
Baby 4 Now I'd do her delivery every week! I had G&A for the push stage as I was sure the pain was about to start, it never did! couldn't beleive it when they handed me my baby
Now this is where things changed
Baby 5 I expected it to be easy like No 4 but big baby so G&A at 7cm
Baby 6 started G&A at 6cm
Baby 7 started G&A at 5cm see where this is going
Baby 8 started G&A at 4 cm (I was 3 cm dilated for the last few weeks of pregnancy?) and every contractions was like tearing glass.

Now we all know that after pains get worse with each baby but do any other mum's with a fair few deliveries agree that labour pains get worse with each delivery after a certain point also. No 4, hallelujah, but then its become all down hill! So I doubt there'll be any natural delivery choices in my future lol.

swish
April 2nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
I had natural births as I wanted mine at home, they were born in birthing pools. Painful but worth it to have a lovely bath and get in your own bed after!

Indira
April 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
My first was a home birth. I felt very relaxed, focused and it was a very peaceful experience. Yes there was pain but nothing I couldn´t handle, just the actual birth giving was very hard.
After my son was born I lost too much blood ( and my senses) so I was taken in hospital by ambulance, DH in shock. Everything turned out fine, with Ds2 I had to give birth in hospital for this reason. Was very confident, thinking ´hey, no problem, I´m good at giving birth.´
But, ofcourse, as every birth is different, that was a completely different thing, it hurt a lot and I couldn´t relax because there were a lot of woman labouring so I stayed on my normal hospital bed with a lot of strangers around talking about the wetter. I was not focused and in control at all, I was undergoing it all.
So when Ds2 was there, I was sure to want an epi if there would ever be a third.
But now your stories make me want to look for a Doula and a clinic with a birth tub if we´ll have nr.3
Skrimpy, you totally made me want another home birth, but unfortunately DH wouldn´t survive:happy:

skrimpy
April 7th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Indira I am so sorry to hear about losing so much blood after your hb :( I had a lot of blood loss after my first but my mw was able to get it under control with an injection of Pitocin. I was really worried about it happening again by my mw encouraged me to pay special attention to my diet during my next pregnancy and also visualize a super-smooth birth. I followed her advice and my next baby came wonderfully without any excess blood loss - and that has been true for the next two as well.

I really believe that it made a lot of difference to pay close attention to my diet (my mw says all the eggs I ate helped a lot hehe) and also feeling a lot more prepared for childbirth in general.

I would really see if your DH would be up to you going to a birth center or a birthing unit with a tub. I think a doula is a great idea, too, she can help keep you focused and feeling in control :D

LolaInLove
April 14th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Skrimpy, your website is awesome, btw!