PDA

View Full Version : Blocking the fallopian tubes to prevent ectopic pregnancy

CrystalTipps
May 15th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Hi Dr P,

I was reading a very old article on IVF where they discussed blocking the fallopian tubes to prevent ectopic pregnancy. I just wondered whether this was ever done anymore?

Also, do you think it would help to rest sitting up slightly rather than lay completely flat during bed rest, in order to help prevent the embryo travelling up the fallopian tubes?

Thanks,

CT

Dr. Potter
May 25th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Hi Dr P,

I was reading a very old article on IVF where they discussed blocking the fallopian tubes to prevent ectopic pregnancy. I just wondered whether this was ever done anymore?

Also, do you think it would help to rest sitting up slightly rather than lay completely flat during bed rest, in order to help prevent the embryo travelling up the fallopian tubes?

Thanks,

CTEctopic pregnancy after IVF occurs in about 1-2% of pregnancies worldwide. Embryos implant in the tube when they are propelled there by uterine contractions after the embryo transfer. The embryo either enters the tube at the stage at which implantation is eminent and the tube does not have time to expel it or it enters the tube and the tube is unable to expel it because of tubal damage. Position does not have any impact on ectopic at all. I hope that this helps.

CrystalTipps
May 29th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Oh, I didn't think about the embryo being propelled by uterine contractions. Thanks - that's really helpful!