PDA

View Full Version : Bringing on labour - suggestions please!

Dreaming
May 17th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I'm now 9 days overdue and I've probably tried everything to kick start my labour already.... BUT any suggestions welcome!!

nuthinbutpink
May 17th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I don't know anything safe to do. Do you not want to do an induction? With DS, I think he was too big to get all the way engaged. Had a simple water breaking induction(no meds) and he was 9 pounds! I was happy I did not wait longer due to his size. We had no clue he would be that large. My last baby was 6 pounds! I hope it happens for you!

purplepoet20
May 17th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I tried a lot for my boys who were both late... one of my cousins tried Caster oil it can be very painful and increases the risk of merconeum (not sure of the spelling.

What I ended up doing with DS2 was I got really busy for about 4 hrs... cleaning, cooking, and even did 6 jumping jacks several times a day. Went to bed and within 1hr labor began.

I think if you over did your normal routine for 3-4hrs right before bed then it may start something.

indigoviolet
May 17th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Semen is great especially taken orally (if you can handle it!!!) as it has oxytocin (I think that's it?) in which triggers labour (which is why sex can work) but it is absorbed 10 times better if in the stomach. Tried this with ds1 evening before due date and he arrived on due date!

Good luck!!!

Dreaming
May 17th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Semen is great especially taken orally (if you can handle it!!!) as it has oxytocin (I think that's it?) in which triggers labour (which is why sex can work) but it is absorbed 10 times better if in the stomach. Tried this with ds1 evening before due date and he arrived on due date!

Good luck!!!

Ha!! Now we have tried sex 3 days in a row, but wait until I tell my DH this suggestion!!

Dreaming
May 17th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I don't know anything safe to do. Do you not want to do an induction? With DS, I think he was too big to get all the way engaged. Had a simple water breaking induction(no meds) and he was 9 pounds! I was happy I did not wait longer due to his size. We had no clue he would be that large. My last baby was 6 pounds! I hope it happens for you!

I'm expecting a big baby. My last one was nearly 9lbs and I'm bigger with this one. But I had a really easy natural water birth and I was wanting the same again...but if I'm induced the water birth is out of the equation.... But I'm getting close to being induced now anyway!

rainbowflower
May 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM
the semen thing is a myth - you'd need to swallow LOADS to have any effect! (same for pineapple)

we tried everything - DTD, hottest curry the Indian takeaway sold, long walks, etc. I don't know if it was DTD that did it but I had a bleed from that and went to hospital to be told I was 5cm, but as I was progressing just 1cm every 24hrs I think it probably wasn't DTD that started it!

apparently nipple massage works - place your hand flat over your nipple and squeeze gently in your palm/move around to simulate breastfeeding. you need to do it for an hour in total (switching breasts every 15mins) twice a day. most women will go into labour within 72hrs (and I did)

or you could try acupressure.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnEcLSHTI0s

Dreaming
May 17th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I've tried the nipple stimulation (short of using an actual breast pump) and it brings on strong braxton hicks but nothing else... I've also had 2 acupunture induction treatments but haven't properly tried the acupressure at home. I'll watch that clip - thanks!

Dreaming
May 17th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Rainbowflower - that's a great YouTube clip! I'm going to try all those points tonight! Thanks

rainbowflower
May 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM
good luck! hope things get started for you really soon!

LolaInLove
May 17th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I was 7 days overdue with #2, and tried nipples, sex, walking, and castor oil (which made me feel AWFUL), but that girl came when she was good and ready to. I know it is awful to be 9+months pg and in the waiting game, but I hope you have a great delivery! The blowjobs are up to you!!! LOL

lindi
May 17th, 2011, 05:50 PM
My water broke and I didn't go into labor for 3 days and I tried everything. The castor oil honestly was the most effective. Nipple stimulation was too irritating, but it might have helped too. I took a homeopathic remedy which didn't work either. Very long walks didn't help, and spicy food didn't help. I'm sorry!

TTC5
May 17th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I swear by a good deep orgasm to help the waters break ;) I found it easier to try this solo, lol.

But I have also heard these can help too:
Clary Sage oil
Swing on a swing/seasaw

TTC5
May 17th, 2011, 06:48 PM

Good luck!!!

Bet DH was in heaven lol!

Queen-o-Queens
June 11th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Has anyone tried evening primrose oil?

DoulaMama
June 11th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Has anyone tried evening primrose oil?

Yup. Twice now. I inserted it vaginally from 37 weeks on and took it orally 35 weeks on. I don't know if it actually did anything to bring on labour, but it might have softened the tissues/cervix. I don't think I'll do it again as I don't feel it was necessary(for me). Hth!

Queen-o-Queens
June 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I was just wondering... i've been taking it orally this week, with all my births my cervix never had much change in it until I was in active labor, but with my last one I was 1cm dilated for 13 hours and I finally got an epidural and for whatever reason I went from 1-complete in no more than 5 minutes, I was scared for awhile because I had never had a labor stall like that, but I was also induced. I am kinda hoping this stuff softens my cervix a little so if I do have to be induced again we won't have a repeat performance of last time