PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid Question

isabella13
September 10th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Update: I just had a surprise BFP! It hasn't even been 3 months
since my surgery. My thyroid levels were in range prior to finding out,
but I will be getting them checked again today! Feeling nervous- so unexpected!!

Hi Ladies,

Have any of you had your thyroid removed and take synthroid (levothyroxine)? I just had surgery last week and am over 35 and still want to conceive a 4th and final child, but not sure how it will sway or if it will cause issues with getting pregnant. I plan on waiting a few months anyway to get mmeds at the right levels first. Any responses appreciated!!!!

mommymachine
September 10th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Not removed but radiated. When I was 18. So I've been on synthroid for 7 years. It needs to be within normal range to conceive, and then slightly higher when pregnant so the baby gets the right amount. It also needs to be monitored every 6 weeks while pregnant and breast feeding because it can change so dramatically. It's very important for an unborn baby to be on the right dose and can also mess up your milk supply if not the right dose while breast feeding. So just keep on top of it. I like to keep my TSH number between a 1 and a 2 while nt pregnant, and slightly higher (which means lower so 0.7ish) while pregnant.

atomic sagebrush
September 10th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Many people have and had successful pregnancies without it. You may have to doc hop a bit to find someone willing to work with you - don't be deterred if your first doctor tells you it isn't possible, it IS. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

missmegrn
September 11th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I still have my thyroid, but I have Hashimoto's so I am guessing eventually I will need to have it removed. I have been on synthroid since 2005, diagnosed with Hashi's in 2008. It's very important that your tsh levels are normalized while pg so the baby can grow well and so that you remain healthy. It is not impossible to get pg when they are abnormal as dd2 was conceived when tsh was like 8ish because I was having issues with regulating my meds pp (my pg dose was too strong pp and put me hyperthyroid and a completely lower dose put me hypothyroid). I now take alternating doses of synthroid as a consistant mg dosage either puts me hyper or hypothyroid. It would be best to wait for normalized levels, but sometimes it can take some time for them to normalize or finding the right dose for you may take time just depending on how your body reacts to the meds. Good luck.

girliedreamz
September 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Adding my input here... I have mine, too, but I've been one thyroid hormones for 3 years due to a thyroid cyst. And I've been super fertile. :)
I echo the importance of being to the right dose during pregnancy, especially early on. My 3rd son was born with Aplasia Cutis Congenita, which has been linked with thyroid issues. (specially too high thyroid due to over-medication.) Luckily, his case is mild and will only require some minor cosmetic procedure to correct when he's older, but I really wish my midwife had taken my requests to have my thyroid tested a little more seriously at the time. She wanted to wait – and then the doctor made me wait weeks to get in to see him – so during the critical early weeks, my levels were way too high before I finally just cut my dosage myself. Once I did get the medical attention, they monitored with blood test and doc visits every 6 weeks after that, but, in my opinion, they waited too long to start worrying about it. (off soapbox now :) )

isabella13
September 19th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks ladies! I will be getting my levels checked in 3 months. Hopefully, they will be at the right levels!