PDA

View Full Version : I got bad news from my Midwife

Roonarpia
May 19th, 2011, 01:13 PM
My midwife called me yesterday and told me that she found out that if she bills my insurance for the birth of the baby that she will be breaking her contract with them and she could lose her license. (I think it is because it is a HBAC) She said the only alternative is pay pay her outright, and that is $2000!?!?! I am crushed!!! She originally told me that my insurance will pay 80% and all was good, and NOW I have no idea what to do!! Does anyone know if this is the same with all midwives in WA or if it is just her? I will talk to her tomorrow at my appointment but I would like to get more info now if possible!

purplepoet20
May 19th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Can you use a midwife but have the baby in the hospital???

Roonarpia
May 19th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Yes but I really want to avoid that because in the hospital there are more interventions which can lead to a C-Section. Thanks for the reply though purplepoet!

DoulaMama
May 31st, 2011, 05:56 PM
Ugh:( I feel for you! My second DS was a homebirth before the province started covering Midwives and I had to pay $3500 out of pocket with 0 reimbursement. Ouch. Can you do a payment plan? What about barter? All I can say is a homebirth is worth the money...looking back, knowing what I do now....I would sell my car to have my baby at home:) I hope you can make it work!!!

TTC5
May 31st, 2011, 08:57 PM
Understand why u want a hb after a c. My third w as a vbac and i had to fight soooo hard!

fivebabies
June 4th, 2011, 04:17 PM
So sorry for you! I hope something works out.

But I must say I'm so jealous listening to you gals.....I stopped counting at $12,000 out of pocket with #4! That was after insurance...now we don't have maternity coverage. $$$

atomic sagebrush
June 4th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I do know there are a lot of regulations in WA because I couldn't find a midwife to allow a homebirth due to my age.