PDA

View Full Version : IVF and incidence of abnormal embryos?

snoop
September 24th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Hi Dr Potter

I know this is a difficult question to answer given as we don't know how many embryos would be "abnormal" under traditional baby making ways.

But do you think there is a higher incidence of abnormal embryos with doing IVF?

Or do you think it can be attributed more generally to the age/fertility of people undergoing IVF?

I guess I am a little concerned from reading stories where there have been a high number of abnormal embryos, combined with those that are not the desired gender leading to a non transfer. I am just worried that this could be us, and that the one cycle could end up being more like two or three.

I should add that neither my partner have undergone any prenatal testing as yet, we are totally new to this whole gender issue.

I should also add that our only son has a chromosomal abnormality and we have had a prior miscarriage. I am 33 and my husband is 35.

Alyssasmom789
September 24th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Following

Dr. Potter
October 10th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Hi Dr Potter

I know this is a difficult question to answer given as we don't know how many embryos would be "abnormal" under traditional baby making ways.

But do you think there is a higher incidence of abnormal embryos with doing IVF?

Or do you think it can be attributed more generally to the age/fertility of people undergoing IVF?

I guess I am a little concerned from reading stories where there have been a high number of abnormal embryos, combined with those that are not the desired gender leading to a non transfer. I am just worried that this could be us, and that the one cycle could end up being more like two or three.

I should add that neither my partner have undergone any prenatal testing as yet, we are totally new to this whole gender issue.

I should also add that our only son has a chromosomal abnormality and we have had a prior miscarriage. I am 33 and my husband is 35.We are in the process of analyzing more than 10,000 embryo biopsy results and will be able to define the incidence of aneuploidy for a given set of male/female ages. We are hoping to present this data at the ESHRE conference next summer. There are certain rare conditions, primarily translocation and recurrent nondisjunction, that can cause a couple to have repeatedly high rates of aneuploidy. From a preliminary look at our data it seems that age of the female partner is the main contributing factor to this. We are unable to know for sure whether the embryos created with IVF have a higher rate of aneuploidy than those created naturally but my gut is that this is not a major factor. High natural rates of aneuploidy likely are the reason the conception rate in fertile couples is only 20-30% per month. Even very young fertile couples with well timed intercourse have conception rates less than 50% per month. I doubt that failure to achieve fertilization could account for this. Abnormal embryos usually do not implant and when they do, they likely fail so soon after implantation that pregnancy is not detected.

Luvmyboys
November 6th, 2013, 04:46 PM
What causes a high abnormality on the male side? We cycled with you and had 5 out of 8 normal for me (62.5% at age 30). But, there were only 2 normal on my hubby's side. He had only 25% normal and he is 32. He was tested for a translocation and it came back normal. We conceived both boys first month trying when I was 21 and 26.

My hubby was on Cyvita. Could it be because he is a social drinker? Or his diet? Or because he runs a construction business and is around chemicals? Or, do you think it was just odd luck and that this likely wouldn't happen in another cycle? What could he change to prevent this from happening again?

Dr. Potter
November 10th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Hi Dr Potter

I should also add that our only son has a chromosomal abnormality and we have had a prior miscarriage. I am 33 and my husband is 35.I would say under 30=50%; 30-34=65%;35=70%; 36-37=75%; 38=80%; 39=85%; 40+=90%

Keshet
November 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Is there any point in trying at age 41?

nuthinbutpink
November 14th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Is there any point in trying at age 41?

We have a current member(42) pregnant with her own eggs. It took a few attempts.

Keshet
November 16th, 2013, 12:03 AM
How many attempts? Where did she cycle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Keshet
January 22nd, 2014, 10:51 AM
In a natural cycle, of the abnormal embryos that are not weeded out early, but go on to implant, what percent are later found to be aneuploid after CVS or amino testing? For an over 40 year old woman.

atomic sagebrush
January 24th, 2014, 01:53 PM
In a natural cycle, of the abnormal embryos that are not weeded out early, but go on to implant, what percent are later found to be aneuploid after CVS or amino testing? For an over 40 year old woman.

Not many, most are lost in early pregnancy. good article here Later Age Pregnancy | University of Maryland Medical Center (http://umm.edu/health/medical/pregnancy/specialcare-pregnancies/later-age-pregnancy)

Several of us have conceived natural pregnancies with no issues over 40. :)

Keshet
January 24th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Thank you Atomic!!!