PDA

View Full Version : DHEA

pinksapphire
May 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hi,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on DHEA. I haven't taken it before and my doctor told me before my last cycle that he didn't think I needed it after I kept asking him about it. I don't believe I had a test specifically to check my levels but can DHEA hurt me at all? My thoughts now are that it can only help me especially since I had 4 failed cycles and now a 9 week miscarriage after a natural conception. I'm 38.

Thanks!

Dr. Potter
May 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Hi,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on DHEA. I haven't taken it before and my doctor told me before my last cycle that he didn't think I needed it after I kept asking him about it. I don't believe I had a test specifically to check my levels but can DHEA hurt me at all? My thoughts now are that it can only help me especially since I had 4 failed cycles and now a 9 week miscarriage after a natural conception. I'm 38.

Thanks!
DHEA can't really hurt if you are taking a reasonable dose for a limited time. Potential side effects with short-term use are oily skin and acne. I am really sorry to see the painful journey you have been through and wish you the best of luck.

Tiny Dancer
May 27th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Dr. Potter,

What dose per day would be good to start with for DHEA? And how long should you take it for?

pinksapphire
May 27th, 2011, 12:51 PM
DHEA can't really hurt if you are taking a reasonable dose for a limited time. Potential side effects with short-term use are oily skin and acne. I am really sorry to see the painful journey you have been through and wish you the best of luck.

Thank you. When you say it can't really hurt, can it help? I've read studies where they say it's actually harmful to some IVF patients.

I've read that the average dose for an IVF patient is 75 mg per day.

Dr. Potter
May 28th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Thank you. When you say it can't really hurt, can it help? I've read studies where they say it's actually harmful to some IVF patients.

I've read that the average dose for an IVF patient is 75 mg per day.Patients, such as PCOS patients, that may already have elevated DHEAS levels certainly are not going to help themselves by taking it. If it is helpful, and this is a big if, it would be in acting as a substitute for estrogen priming as DHEA is a precursor to estrogen. It would therefore only be given for a 2-3 week period leading up to he stim cycle. I am not a big fan and use it only in very specific cases.

Dr. Potter
May 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Dr. Potter,

What dose per day would be good to start with for DHEA? And how long should you take it for?
50-75 mg per day start with your period the cycle before your treatment cycle, stop with lupron start (or flow with antagonist cycle)

pinksapphire
June 1st, 2011, 10:14 AM
So, if I understand this correctly, I shouldn't take DHEA if I am on the estrogen priming protocol? I most likely will be on that for my next cycle.

praying for a miracle
September 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Pinksapphire, did you ever get an answer from Dr.Potter about DHEA and the estrogen priming protocol?

Dr. Potter
September 30th, 2011, 02:14 PM
So, if I understand this correctly, I shouldn't take DHEA if I am on the estrogen priming protocol? I most likely will be on that for my next cycle.The majority of the DHEA that you take will be aromatized into estrogen so I do not think it matters if you take them both at the same time.