PDA

View Full Version : When stop Metformin after BFP?

Inmydreams
October 15th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Dear Dr. Potter,

Because of mild PCOS (no insuline resistence) I had to start taking Metformin (2x 850mg a day) 3 months prior to my cycle. I was advised to stop taking Metformin after ET. However I continued taking it 2x 850mg as I knew it could prevent miscarrage. My first beta at 9dp5dt was 290. Do you think it will be safe to stop Metformin in week 8 (don't have enough left to continu after 8 weeks)? Or would I risk a miscarrage (due to glucose levels dropping)? If it would be safe to stop can I stop cold turkey or should I decrease slowly?

I read so many contrary messages on the internet I don't know what to do. Hope you can help!

Dr. Potter
October 18th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Dear Dr. Potter,

Because of mild PCOS (no insuline resistence) I had to start taking Metformin (2x 850mg a day) 3 months prior to my cycle. I was advised to stop taking Metformin after ET. However I continued taking it 2x 850mg as I knew it could prevent miscarrage. My first beta at 9dp5dt was 290. Do you think it will be safe to stop Metformin in week 8 (don't have enough left to continu after 8 weeks)? Or would I risk a miscarrage (due to glucose levels dropping)? If it would be safe to stop can I stop cold turkey or should I decrease slowly?

I read so many contrary messages on the internet I don't know what to do. Hope you can help!Metformin is safe during pregnancy (category B). I usually stop it at week12 when the risk of miscarriage is less.