PDA

View Full Version : Mall Pet Stores and Dog Breeding Farms!!!!

purplepoet20
May 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I am so pissed at the breeding farms who know the dogs have problems and still breed them..... and the pet stores for buying the dogs.:mad:

I have a German Shepard and she is the best dog in the world... she lets the boys use her as whatever they want and has never harmed them. She stands in front of the boys and grawls at anyone/anypet she doesn't like. I got Willow Amara Rose (Amara german meaning Eternal) in 2006 from a pet store thinking she was a good dog. She has a great personality and has normal German traits like protecting her family from strangers, dogs, cats, and even bugs. She is even protective of kids she has never met before, so parents are asked to not wrestle with their own kids when she is around.

I orignally wanted to breed her 1-2 times because I wanted to keep a puppy from the litter (breeding that one and keeping a pup and so on). My grandpa did this from 1960-1990 and he had some very amazing dogs, and one even pushed my aunt (then 3) out of the way of a car....But when Willow was 2 year old I had her checked for any medical problems... she had sever hip displasia and ear issues, both are genetic and were passed on from her parents and grandparents. When I contacted AKC they knew that the family tree had a long line of medical problems and still issued papers to the puppies. I did sue and all money was returned to me but the point is to not breed dogs with problems. Willow is fixed so no pups.

Willow turned 5 in Feb and she is already have problems getting up, she can't run, her butt gives out for no reason, and she is deaf. The vet told us yesterday that we many have to consider putting her down by next summer or sooner. How do I explain that to my son who will be about 4 when that happens, he loves her so much.

... My hubby says that for now she will be our only dog so we can spoil her until it is her time. He wants to wait a year before we start looking for a dog, he is very emotional when pets pass on. When we do look for a new dog we are only going to get one from a breeder that only has 1m and 1f and breeds for love and not money... Good thing I come from a family that has breeded German Sheps and parents that breeded English Springers... To bad I didn't know about the pet stores and breeding farms before I got Willow!!!

Yuzu
May 25th, 2011, 01:07 PM
My pet peeve is poor breeders. One of our dogs was rescued from a backyard breeder and she has so many problems, I can't even begin to tell you. I have no idea why someone would breed dogs if they didn't want to better the breed.

No, I'm wrong. I do know why. Because some people only care about money and not the lives they bring into the world. Ugh!

purplepoet20
May 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
When I was a teen my mom started to breed English Springers... we only had the two dogs but my mom did push to breed her 3x's a year. Lucky for the dogs I was the one in charge of feeding and caring for them. I gave them plenty of vitamins and made sure they ate right. Each litter she had 8 pups (mom sold for $400 each), but only the very first pup in the first litter passed. I kept the pup area very clean picking up poop and changing the blanket every few hours, even at night. They were fed a balanced diet, when introduced to food. My mom did nothing for the pups and only cared for the money but at least I was there. I loved it so much... I miss a few of them because I wanted to keep 2 of them from different litters and they slept with me but my mom wanted the money more.

I still get emails from a few of the people who got the pups... one had 3 daughters a wanted a male pup for her hubby, she had the name Westly picked if she had a son and the pup she ended up getting had the same name. A few months later she got pregnant with a son :)

Flava
May 25th, 2011, 04:50 PM
That is so sad Im so sorry for Willow! I love German shepard! I also have a puppy it's a westie because we don't have place for a big dog. He is so cute we got him for Christhmas last year . No way I would buy a dog from a pet store.:nono:

atomic sagebrush
May 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
The problem is so widespread with purebred dogs it's ridiculous. The AKC is a huge part of the problem and they won't do anything to help correct it.

Would you ever consider getting a mixed breed?? Not necessarily a mutt but a doodle or similar dog? They are great pets.

purplepoet20
May 27th, 2011, 12:42 PM
We don't like poodles so a doodle is out. We don't like aggressive, overly hyper, or small dogs (under 40lbs). We like mutts so someday we may find one. Hubby really wants a choc lab but we will look around and let the kids decide, by then DS1 will be old enough to pick... a lab mixed with a calm dog would be nice.

I like female German Sheps because they are very over protective of their family.

atomic sagebrush
June 4th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I've seen some crazy pretty German Shepherd-Poodle crosses!! They really aren't very poodley. Good luck finding a dog you love!!