PDA

View Full Version : Do the sperm "take over" at day three and moving on?

3boyz
October 19th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Hi Dr. Potter!

Hubby and I had 30 eggs retrieved and 18 fertilized. Day three I think you said we had 16 embryos, but by day 5, only 8 could be biopsied. I read on here and on some other sites that the egg quality determines kind of takes charge of the embryo for the first few days and then day three the sperm quality kind of determines what makes it to day 5. Is this true?

I know we had 4 normal, high quality embryos, they were just all XY. I got "permission" from my husband to cycle again (:cheerteam:) and I'm trying to do everything possible to get better quality! I talked with my endocrinologist, and he doesn't think I am insulin resistant based on my weight, my insulin usage, and my age. He also did not seem quite certain how to test for it. Regardless, I have been cutting out carbs and boosting protein intake. I'm now averaging about 20 units of insulin a day (sometimes slightly more, sometimes slightly less).

My eggs were grainy and I think discolored, but they made 4 great quality embryos. Is there any way my lower egg quality could have been due to the number of eggs that were retrieved?