PDA

View Full Version : Gender Disappointment at 13 Weeks - Am I crazy?

tiffanyclyne
October 22nd, 2013, 05:31 PM
Hi ladies,

I'm new to this group, but I need some help. Last Thursday, I had my NT scan. I was 12 weeks, 5 days. The tech and the perinatologist guessed boy, 70%, by a potty shot. This is my fourth baby and I have NEVER had a doctor or tech guess this early. ESPECIALLY from a potty shot. I have wanted a girl SO BADLY - DH and I did everything we could to increase our odds of having a girl. Diet, timing, positions - every frickin' wives tale out there damn it! (sorry) This entire time I have thought it was a girl. I have been TERRIBLY sick every single day, which only happened with my first, which was a girl. My two after were boys and I was never sick, not once.

I know this may seem like denial and just gender disappointment speaking, but I can't help but feel it may be wrong. They didn't check the angle of the dangle, and I only got a BRIEF look at it and it looked parallel to the spine to me. I could be wrong - obviously I am no tech. But the tech I saw two weeks before said the only way to really guess at this stage is by the angle of the dangle, because ALL babies have a dangle. Everything happened so fast, I didn't have a chance to ask questions or get any clarification. Has this ever happened to you? Were you told boy at 13 weeks and it turned out to be a girl? Or am I just in denial and need to find a way to get over my gender disappointment?

I appreciate non-judgmental comments please. I already feel badly enough about my disappointment. Thanks in advance ladies.

Tiffany

zebaniee
October 23rd, 2013, 03:21 AM
No advice but hugs.

I have been told I am having a third girl. it was like my world ended. It took weeks to get over. I am starting to feel better about it but part of me is still hoping it comes out with a penis.

tiffanyclyne
October 23rd, 2013, 12:05 PM
zebaniee - I can only imagine how you are feeling right now. While I wish so desperately to be having a girl and am so jealous you are, I know that you are just feeling the same way I am. I never knew these feelings existed and I feel so terrible feeling them but I am so glad that we are discussing them. Light needs to be shed on gender disappointment just like it was on postpartum depression and PTSD after a loss.

Twosweetboys
October 24th, 2013, 09:55 PM
It's really quite early to guess. My best friend was told at 13 weeks it was a boy - confirmed at 20 weeks. My cousins was also told boy at 13 weeks - they were shocked to hear girl at 18 and at 21 weeks. So...it's really kind of still a guessing game at this point - especially from a potty shot.

iHeartM
October 25th, 2013, 02:00 PM
To me my ramzi guess looked boy so I'm trying to prepare myself that it is a boy (hoping for a girl) so I kind of know how you feel. It is early but I was pretty sad when an experienced friend told me my pic looked "very boy". I have no personal experience with potty shots at that stage but I would try to work through your feelings now...the way I see it is if I try to work through my feelings and start to get excited about having a boy I won't be as crushed when I find out it isn't a girl at 20 weeks.

I hope the tech was wrong and you get your girl!