PDA

View Full Version : Diet advice re: cereal

fourwildones
June 1st, 2011, 11:32 PM
I ate a some special K and Special K with red berries every night (and sometimes in the late morning) for about 2 weeks at the beginning of my sway, not knowing about the cereal study and just trying to eat rice cereal (I didn't realize it had to be puffed rice) It will have been a full 3 weeks since any cereal whatsoever (even a smidgeon) is completely out of my diet by the time I am considering TTC - but is that too little time? should I forego TTC until next month? Also I have been eating the occasional nutrigrain bar-is that essentially like cereal?

Bambina
June 1st, 2011, 11:42 PM
I doubt the earlier cereal would still have an effect, but Nutri Grain bars are cereal, so you might want to avoid those from now.

zanacal
June 2nd, 2011, 02:51 AM
I asked about Nutrigrain bars because they're on the IG diet and Atomic said not great because they have oats and cereals in them BUT they're quite good in that they don't have too many calories and are fairly low in protein and sodium. I've really been struggling to find something with a decent amount of calories and not very much protein so I've actually started having the odd bar.

With regards the breakfast cereal, we don't know why it appeared in the study that boy mums ate it. It might just be that they ate breakfast at all or that cereals are often high in various nutrients (all those added vitamins!) and so it may indicate somebody eating a high nutrient diet with regular meals - which is why we skip breakfast when ttc a girl!

fourwildones
June 2nd, 2011, 07:48 AM
Thank yuo both for responding. I think I will cut back on the nutrgrain bars. I am inclined to agree that the cereal has to do with both lower nutrient and breakfast. When I was trying to gain weight lasst week I drank 4 ensures one day, not exaclty sticking with the low nutrient theory either.

Not sure if I'll skip this month, but every month I wait it will be harder to stick to the diet and potentially increase testosterone/anxiety-so it may be that there is no ideal month!

atomic sagebrush
June 4th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I ate a some special K and Special K with red berries every night (and sometimes in the late morning) for about 2 weeks at the beginning of my sway, not knowing about the cereal study and just trying to eat rice cereal (I didn't realize it had to be puffed rice) It will have been a full 3 weeks since any cereal whatsoever (even a smidgeon) is completely out of my diet by the time I am considering TTC - but is that too little time? should I forego TTC until next month? Also I have been eating the occasional nutrigrain bar-is that essentially like cereal?

There's nothing magic about cereal, it's that cereal is fortified, tends to be an overall part of a heathy diet and eaten often by people at breakfast. So (and even the author of the Oxford study believes) that it's more the skipping breakfast that sways and the breakfast cereal business is just a coincidence.

I would go ahead and TTC.

atomic sagebrush
June 4th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I asked about Nutrigrain bars because they're on the IG diet and Atomic said not great because they have oats and cereals in them BUT they're quite good in that they don't have too many calories and are fairly low in protein and sodium. I've really been struggling to find something with a decent amount of calories and not very much protein so I've actually started having the odd bar.

With regards the breakfast cereal, we don't know why it appeared in the study that boy mums ate it. It might just be that they ate breakfast at all or that cereals are often high in various nutrients (all those added vitamins!) and so it may indicate somebody eating a high nutrient diet with regular meals - which is why we skip breakfast when ttc a girl!

Exactly! It may just be a coincidence with breakfast eaters. Also, I've read a different study that found that people who were very health conscious ate more cereal so again, perhaps just a coincidence.

The Nutrigrain bars are not great for several reasons but for a quick and easy meal on the go, you can encorporate them into your overall diet. Better than a Big Mac, that's for sure!!

fourwildones
June 4th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks for weighing in on this, that is my gut feeling as well, that is really more along the lines of the breakfast and low-high nutrient dynamic more than the specific food-as you know I jsut had really cruddy attempt, so I am reassured that if, against the odds, I did get pg this go around, I have not blown it all by a few handsful of special K! I have cut back on the nutrigrain bars and will perhaps replace them with pop-tarts-since I've seen those mentioned-should I only go with unfrosted or since my weight is so low, perhaps I can add the frosted ones?

atomic sagebrush
June 10th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Frosted is fine.