PDA

View Full Version : Do boy mums have a particular look about them??

jude17
June 2nd, 2011, 05:17 AM
I have 2 boys and would love to try one last time for a girl.

I feel a wee bit down though at the moment as someone said to me the other day 'you only have boys don't you'. When I said yes she went on to say that I looked like a boy mum!! AND then asked if we were going to have anymore kids. When I said a girl would be nice she then went on to say that you know what will happen you will have another boy.

So do boys mums have a particular look to them?

I know its silly but I now feel like I will only have boys. I think she thought she was a bit of a Psychic as we are having earth quakes where we live and she just knew that we would have another big one which we did. Could it be true that some people have a gift to know what people are destined to have in the future? I have had a few dealings with Psychics but have never really believed them so I don't know why its worrying me. I guess it was just a shock for someone to talk to me like that!!

rainbowflower
June 2nd, 2011, 05:41 AM
TBH I think people do subtly change their appearance based on hormones - if oestrogen is higher women generally look "prettier" or more sexually attractive, if testosterone is higher the woman might have more body hair and become more competitive, etc.

Studies have shown that hormone levels can sway too... so maybe there's some small truth in what she was saying.

HOWEVER, I don't think that even the highest hormone levels will guarantee one gender over another, and I think she was rude or ignorant to even suggest that to you.

I also don't think it's possible to look at someone and say with much accuracy what gender(s) their children are.

jane
June 2nd, 2011, 06:30 AM
does she have any kids? maybe she has only girls and there was a tinge of jealousy in what she said? :wink:

3boys
June 2nd, 2011, 07:42 AM
I am a girly girl and not unattractive and I have boys. I don't think you can tell from looking at a person.

Don't let it worry you hun.

purplepoet20
June 2nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Some people were never taught any manners so they talk before they think!

Anna Grace
June 2nd, 2011, 11:02 AM
I've had this before, and then I fix them with a smile and say, "oh really, what exactly does a 'boy mom' look like?" And watch them stammer and flush and try to define it without insulting you or making you sound like you are really cool and like to roll around in the mud...

Actually, I kind of despise the whole "girl mom" or "boy mom" title. Maybe I'm overly sensitive because I HAVE three boys, and because I pretty much gave up my career to get married and have kids. But think that there's too much focus on identity linked to our children, and labels about what we have - boy or girl - are irritating. Maybe because I'm on the other side of the fence, but I get irritated when moms who have girls say, "well I actually really like being a girl mom. and I'm good at it!" When I'm wallowing in my GD self-pity I get mad when moms of girls don't bother with their appearance, wear no make up, dress in sweats....(I know it's wrong of me to judge but I said I was feeling self-pity)... whereas I always make an effort, been told I'm quite attractive, make it a mission to lose the baby weight as quickly as possible, read fashion magazines, usually dress fairly well to stylish (minus the baby vomit of course). In short, I really feel like I SHOULD have girls... or at least one...

Then I think, maybe it IS better this way. Maybe I'd be setting a bad example for my girls as they'll see that you always have to have make up on and wear nice clothes and they won't understand inner beauty (my mom, with 4 girls, was a chronic dieter and used to stop me every single time I left the house saying, "don't you want to put more make up on?.. how about curling your hair?, etc). On the flipside, maybe I'm setting a bad example for my boys because they'll want their future girlfriends/wives to make huge effort on appearance.

would have been far easier to have one or two of each!

Hobbermittens
June 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
I had my palm read as a teen, and was told I would have 3 boys and a girl. I had always wanted 4 boys, so I thought 3 boys and a girl would be a good compromise! Well, here I am with GBG, so that palm reader was WRONG. I would not listen to that lady--if you had earth quakes already, she was just predicting an aftershock. Those happen all the time. :)

I hope you get a baby girl someday--and don't let some woman ruin your dream! Also, I know a lot of women with boys, and they are all different--so I don't think there is any truth to "looking" like a boy mom!

jude17
June 3rd, 2011, 05:17 AM
Thanks everyone, I feel better. The lady had no kids herself, I think she just thought she was pretty cool being about to tell if people had boys or girls. Oh well, I am still planning a pink sway for the end of the year.

1pinkwish
June 17th, 2011, 02:52 PM
When I was preggo with ds#3, I was told he was a girl at my 17 wk u/s. Well, I went to a girl's night thing, and had told them that I was supposed to be having a girl that time. And this one lady who had 2 girls told me, "Really? You just look like a boy mom to me!" I was fuming for the rest of the night! Then when I did find out later that he really was a boy, I felt so defeated!! What was it about me that "looked like a boy mom"?

Anyway, now I do have a girl too, so I wonder what my look says about me now. LOL

CrystalTipps
June 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM
"Really? You just look like a boy mom to me!"

People are so f***ing rude.

Myloves
June 19th, 2011, 01:55 AM
People are so f***ing rude.

I completely agree.

1pinkwish
June 20th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Aren't they though!

One good thing I can take from GD is that it does make me more sensitive to others in this way and try not to make stupid comments like that.

Myloves
June 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM
Aren't they though!

One good thing I can take from GD is that it does make me more sensitive to others in this way and try not to make stupid comments like that.

Yes!! I am alot more sensitive as well - if only there were more people like that... there'd be alot less stupid comments. :(