PDA

View Full Version : Gender still unknown, but feeling bad already

DreamInBlue
November 25th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure to where to post this, so I figured this might be the best place. I am obsessing over the gender of this baby, and already feeling disappointed that it might be another girl.

DH only wants 2 kids, so this is our last chance. With our DD, I remember feeling so disappointed at the gender scan because I really wanted a boy first. As the pregnancy went on, I felt better because I knew I still had another chance at a boy for the next one. And once I held her in my arms, she was perfect and any trace of GD went out the window. I can't imagine life without her.

But now, as I am pregnant with what is likely my last child, I am hoping so much it is a boy. When I first became pregnant (it took me over a year with this one), I was over the moon excited. I had strong feelings that I was having twins, and I also had strong feelings that one or both would be boys. Well, 2 ultrasounds so far have proved it is not twins, and I have completely lost the feeling that I am having a boy. Guesses from my 12 week shot have been mostly girl.

My entire family and DH's are mostly girls. My parents only had 2 girls. DH's parents had 2 girls and 1 boy (him). My sister has 2 girls, and did an IG sway and finally got a boy. DH's sister that has children has 3 girls, and her last was just a boy.

Everyone in my family wants me to have a boy, and I just know if this is another girl I will never hear the end of it. "You should have done all of the crazy things your sister did to get a boy." (I never told anyone I was swaying, and I didn't follow the same sway she did.) "Now you have to have another one to get a boy" and on and on. I just can't handle it.

The comments from others are sometimes worse than the way I feel. I feel like I could deal with it if this was another girl, and I would be disappointed but I would be able to get excited about it (not to mention DD would be over the moon to have a sister). But I can't deal with other people's reactions and comments.

My family knows I will be going at 16 weeks to the dr for an ultrasound (Dec 16th), and we are hoping to find out, but part of me wants to tell them I've changed my mind and I don't want to find out. That way, they will have to wait until the baby is born to find out, and I won't have to deal with their comments because who is going to say anything mean about a sweet little newborn. Maybe I will wait and see... and if it's a girl, I will just say the baby wasn't cooperating and the tech couldn't get a clear picture.

Sorry for rambling on, I just feel like nobody around me understands what I am going through. Thanks for "listening."

iHeartM
November 25th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I've thought about keeping the gender a secret as well...like you said, people aren't going to complain once the baby is here. I also had a strange intuition that I was having twins (I'm not) but I'm in the opposite situation (hoping for girl)...most of my family consists of boys and there are many boys on DH's side as well so getting a girl seems like a long shot. I hope you get your boy!

DreamInBlue
November 25th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks! I hope you get your girl! :happy:

I wish people would just think before they say something that would potentially upset someone.

With my DD, I kept her name a secret until after she was born for that very reason - people feel like before the baby is born, they can say whatever they want, whether it is hurtful or not. When I would discuss name options with people, they would be really blunt (and sometimes rude) with their opinions of the names I picked. But once a baby is born, nobody says "Oh I don't like that name," or "Don't pick that one."

I don't know, we'll see if I can talk DH into keeping the gender a secret this time. :)

iHeartM
November 25th, 2013, 04:12 PM
We are def. keeping the name secret this time too for that same reason! My dad would ask what our potential names were for our first and hated the name that we liked best. He even said once "Any name will be great, as long as it's not ____". It kind of tainted the name for me...I like more unique names and I guess my dad like the more common names. We still ended up using it but I wasn't in love with it like I was before :/ We've been tossing around boy names but are not telling anyone until after the baby gets here!

3littleladies
November 26th, 2013, 03:53 AM
I hope you get your boy, but in saying that, its really awesome having same sex siblings for a lot of reasons!
Other people's stupid comments always make gd worse, hang in there don't worry too much because there might be a little boy in there!

shooly
November 26th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Hiya I know exactly how you feel! I am expecting number four and am fairly desperate to hear boy after 3 girls! This is definately my last my husband was happy with 3 but I pushed for one last attempt. I personally would advise against finding out and keeping it a secret because we did that with dd3 and it was a nightmare everyone used to say ooh it might be a boy but I knew it wasn't and it really got me down! I find out on the 16th December too so fingers crossed for us both! X