PDA

View Full Version : Birth of DD2 - may be distressing to some readers so beware!!!

TTC5
June 9th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Just a few months earlier to conceiving our 2nd, we had lost a pregnancy.

This time around things seemed to be heading in the same way and I was feeling shattered. Was God punishing me for having my first born so young in life?

DH and I were shopping one day with our 3 y/o DD when I felt something warm trickle down my leg.. we went to a nearby toilet and there was alot of blood. Not again! The hospital was only down the road so we ran like crazy to the ER.

They got me in right away and after an ultrasound they said I had 2 sacs but only one looked like there was anything in it but was too early to pick up a heartbeat on the other. They assumed my bleeding was that I lost one twin and I was sent home to take it easy (yeah right!) and pray for the best.

I had the worst morning sickness and the sorest boobs that I was not worried about the other baby.

We went for a follow up ultrasound around 1-2 weeks later.

The sonographer didn't say a word and when she told me she would be back in a second, I knew she was going to give us bad news.

Another dr came in and had a scan over and then told us the remaining baby had no heartbeat.

Well, I went crazy at this stage. I told them they were wrong, that I knew I was pregnant, I just KNEW!! They began to prep me for theatre for a D&C and I was still carrying on. They told me I was just in denial after what happened a few months earlier and with the twin.

I demanded they re scan me otherwise I was NOT signing any consent forms!

So they did... and after a while a 3rd dr found her heartbeat!!!!

I knew it!!! OMG if I had not have demanded another scan to think my baby would have been taken when she was alive! :omg:

Fast forward to 12 weeks.. I started bleeding again and was later found to have a sub chorionic heamatoma. I was on strict bed rest for the next 4 weeks. 16 weeks ultrasound and the bleeding had settled down and the baby was healthy but I was now found to have placenta praevia, so I had to have a c/section.

They ordered my delivery for 37 weeks so that I did not risk going into spontaneous labour and hemoragging.

Around 30 weeks, DH and our DD1 and I moved states. We got settled into a new hospital and their system was TERRIBLE the OB refused to do a csection at 37 weeks and I was terrified! I saw my mother almost lose her life and my brothers to this condition! He finally met us half way and booked me in at 38 weeks.

My date was set for January 28th 2003, and the day earlier I knew labour was coming this day, but noone would listen to me. Everyone kept saying it was just my nerves (I was so scared of this procedure) so I started to think maybe it was all in my head? I was grujmpy, snappy, and having diahrea on and off all day and nesting badly.

At around 10pm that evening I had a show and it was quite bloody so we packed my bag and headed to the hospital. We got there around 11.30pm and the nurses there said they would give me a sleeping tablet and instead of my op being at 10am the next morning they would bring it forward an hour. And my husband had to go home.

Oh did we spit chips! No way would I make it to the morning lol look how fast my first born came and there was no way my husband was leaving me as at that point my contractions had began! After me crying they gave in and said ok but you both have to be very quiet (I have a feeling they were trying to be horrible because they could see how young we were..) They put me on the maternity ward in a shared room with a woman who had already had her baby! Lights out and was told to BE QUIET!! I wish I stuck up for myself. Why did they not put me in a labour room and take me to theatre right away?! Just before 3am my waters broke in the bed and I told DH to turn on a light, the pain was unbearable at this stage and this is when we saw the blood... I was bleeding so so fast and heavily. We pressed the buzzer and a midwife came in, next thing the room is filled with people and they were rushing me out the door toward the theatre room. No time for an epidural, I had to be put under as I was being wheeled down the corridors!

I missed my baby's birth all because they would not listen to me. I guess I am lucky though that we both survived. I don't remember the first few days of her birth and I spiralled in to a very dark depression of pnd :sad:

And that is my story... not very happy is it, but that is how it went and how it felt for me. I suffered for many many years with PND and anxiety.

My baby weighed a healthy 7pd 14 oz MUCH lighter than my first lol!!!

DoulaMama
June 9th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Omg! You are so lucky to be alive! Previa is not something to mess around with. I'm totally shocked that they knew you had previa and didn't monitor you more closely. I'm sorry that you missed your baby's birth. I can't imagine what that must have been like :( hugs to you and thank you for sharing your story with us. Xo

Plum3
June 9th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Wow, again! I can't believe the medical care (or lack of) you received. So glad that everything turned out ok in the end.

I am looking forward to reading the next two daughters' birth stories!

LolaInLove
June 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
WOW, I am so glad you had that intuition to have another scan early on. How awful that the new hospital and doctors gave you sub-par care. I would have been IRATE. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but glad that your little #2 is a happy and healthy girl!!!

Roonarpia
June 9th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Grrr that makes me so mad! It is infuriating that the medical professionals don't listen to mom, I am so glad you and your DD were okay. Thanks for sharing!

gizmo77
June 9th, 2011, 10:41 AM
holy crap! can you believe in this day and age WE have to direct health care providers. this is not something uncommon. i think ppl these days in general are lazier and have less work ethic than say 50yrs ago. im glad thinsg worked out!

Tink18
June 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM
This is exactly what happened to me!! They tried to order a D&C for DD after they claimed we lost her twin. I refused. I just new DD was still in there. I refused the forms and said I wanted to wait 2 more weeks. They allowed it. In those 2 weeks I switched OB's as well. Since mine was so heartless. Sure enough 2 weeks later there was my girls heart beat stronger then ever!

Flava
June 14th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I also had PP with DD3 and this is the care we get here ...lovely right?
TG good you and DD are both ok!:hugs:

jane
June 29th, 2011, 09:50 AM
wow,what an incredible story! good for you to get another look at the ultrasound! glad you were both ok.

purplepoet20
June 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM
WOW I would have killed the nurses if they would put me in the mat ward to wait... So glad I have a great OB Dr who listens to me. He knows that DS1 came 30mins after my water broke so when my water broke with DS2 he just waited in the room and talked with us for 15mins and then DS2 came out after 2 pushes. He even told me that he expects my next one to come as soon as my waterbreaks so he is going to sleep at the hospital as soon as contractions start.

I hope you find a good Dr, midwife, and hospital with your next one... so everything works out great!