PDA

View Full Version : MaterniT21 Questions

kellbell827
January 8th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Hi Girls! Can someone please explain the MaterniT21 to me? I was told that I can have it done, well a different version of it, I think it's called Natera or something that detects triploidy (b/c that's what our last baby had) but I have read several different things about the test - that it could come back as boy if you have had a male baby?? We want to know the gender but I am concerned now about the inaccuracy of the test. I am not quite 5 weeks so I will go for it mid-end of February. Just trying to gather as much info as possible. Thanks!!

dreams529
January 8th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I just had it done. As far as detecting abnormalities I hear it is really good. As for gender my 2cents I wouldn't find out unless you have to. My dr. office told me that they have had 2 wrong out of 50. Online on one thread alone I found 4 wrong where Y chromosome was detected but baby was a girl. There were many other threads I just decided to stop looking.

I was told that they found y chromosome but now I do not know if that is from my older sons, the meds that I'm on or this baby. If I had it to do again I would do the test to check for abnormalities but I would not have found out gender. Really although I'm leaning towards this being a boy I have no idea & my Dr. told me "not to go painting any rooms" Like I said just my opinion. Also for gender disappointment reasons I wonder if its better not to know till you have had the chance to bond with the baby, kwim. Good luck with whatever you chose!

snipsnsnails
January 9th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Hi I can explain the materni21 since I had that done, spoke with a geneticist and had a positive outcome from it. I don't know about the other tests. As for the actual test it analyzes the circulating cell free DNA extracted from the mother's blood. I asked the same questions about it picking up previous "y" from my 3 other boy pregnancies. It was explained to me that intracellular is where you carry your previous pregnancy DNA. You have this for your lifetime. The materni 21 detects the extracellular/free floating in the blood. This DNA reflects your current pregnancy and is only present for a few days after you deliver.
I have my actual result sheet that breaks down sensitivity/ specificity for the trisomy 21,18,13. If you want it I can post it. The results are about 99 accurate.
I felt comfortable with it and gives best results for a non invasive test. I had 2 u/s to confirm health and gender. The only reason I had it done was b/c I am 35. Otherwise I never had testing done with my boys.
I hope this answers your question so you can make a decision that is best for you.

atomic sagebrush
January 9th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I think it seems like a good test and I do recommend it - evne if, over time there do seem to be a few false results on balance I think since it's non-invasive, it's better than the CVS/amnio options.

WantingPink
January 9th, 2014, 11:06 PM
I had MaterniT21 done at 10 weeks 4 days. It was accurate for me and when I asked my OB about it she thought it was very accurate. She hadn't seen any gender discrepancies so we went ahead and found out the gender from the test. From what I understand they are now testing for the sex chromosome abnormalities now too. I would have it done again instead of an amnio.