PDA

View Full Version : Early Blast

Luvmyboys
February 1st, 2014, 11:55 PM
Carole,

We have our transfer on Friday. The embryo is a day 5 compacted/early blast. I am curious as to how long it typically takes for an embryo to reach the next stage? I guess in this case a regular blast or expanded blast?

We had good quality embryos and some were even hatching on day 5. But, I don't know why this one is slower than the rest. Is it a good sign some of the others reached hatching blastocyst? This is a chromosomally normal embryo and I am 30 years old (if that is any help).

I keep hoping there is a possibility this embryo will continue growing upon thaw. I think that there must be a chance since all of the chromosomes are there. Can you provide your expertise please? Thanks for your help!!

Carole
February 2nd, 2014, 10:24 AM
Carole,

We have our transfer on Friday. The embryo is a day 5 compacted/early blast. I am curious as to how long it typically takes for an embryo to reach the next stage? I guess in this case a regular blast or expanded blast?

We had good quality embryos and some were even hatching on day 5. But, I don't know why this one is slower than the rest. Is it a good sign some of the others reached hatching blastocyst? This is a chromosomally normal embryo and I am 30 years old (if that is any help).

I keep hoping there is a possibility this embryo will continue growing upon thaw. I think that there must be a chance since all of the chromosomes are there. Can you provide your expertise please? Thanks for your help!!

Dear Luvmyboys,
I think there is every chance that this embryo will keep growing at thaw and do well, even if it was frozen at a compacted, early stage blast. In less than a day, the embryo would proceed to a more expanded stage. You already know it has normal chromosomes so that is a major barrier to development that does not exist for this embryo. Patients get so hung up on scores- it does more harm than good. Eggs in a group are not all fertilized at exactly the same second, so you can expect some staggered development without your early blast being "slow". Here is what I know. You are under 35, which is young for IVF. Your embryo has the normal number of chromosomes and it is developmentally on track as an early blast- and among the cohort, some were hatching already. These are all very good indicators. Try not to worry too much. Good Luck!! Carole

Luvmyboys
February 2nd, 2014, 11:12 AM
Thank you! I am hoping to see a BFP in a few weeks!

I appreciate the reassurance! We see so many hatching blasts on here, but they are day 6, so that might be the difference!

Luvmyboys
February 7th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I have a picture! She kept growing at thaw and now the doctor says she is a blast! I was hoping I could attach the picture and you tell me what you think?

Thank you!

Luvmyboys
February 7th, 2014, 06:18 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/08/ysegy4eh.jpg

Carole
February 8th, 2014, 08:16 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/08/ysegy4eh.jpg

Hi Luvmyboys,
It's hard to tell much from a flat photo--usually we roll them around under a microscope to see the embryo from all sides-- but I see viable cells and what is probably a "coel", the open fluid-filled space that is one of the essential structures of a blastocoel. I also see some cells that have escaped from the main embryo and are floating free- also not uncommon. I wish you MUCH GOOD LUCK! Carole

Luvmyboys
February 8th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Just curious - what causes the cells to leave the body?

Would you consider this a blast now or still an early blast? Its definitely a blast and not a morula though, right?