PDA

View Full Version : When can be pre-testing done?

antur123
February 5th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Dear Dr Potter,

We have two wonderful boys as children and we have decided to do IVF/PGD gender selection in order to have a baby girl. We strongly believe that we will decide to do it with you at HRC.

Our youngest child was born June 2013, and I am still breastfeeding him, so I had my first period 2 weeks ago. We would like to start asap with any steps towards cycling doing IVF/PGD, as we would like to do our first attempt by June 2014.

Is it OK to do pre-testing in my second cycle (that is, within 2 weeks)?
Is it too early?
Will pre-testing results be OK?
Will pre-testing results be affected by still breastfeeding the baby?

Thank you very much in advance.

Warm regards.

Hopeful4ever
February 8th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I'll be interested to know the answers to these questions too!

nuthinbutpink
February 8th, 2014, 11:03 PM
You cannot do protesting while breast feeding. 6 months postpartum and 2 cycles after breast feeding is generally recommended.

antur123
February 9th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Thank you nuthinbutpink. Such a shame, :-( Is it that way even if breast feeding is decreasing? My baby does not get that much from my breasts at the moment as also eats fruits, vegetables and meat, and I also bottle feed him with formula.

emmake
February 9th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Yes, you really need to wait until you completely stop BF, otherwise the results may not be reliable. Note also that it's better to wait a couple of months after you finish BF before you cycle. Some ladies here who cycled too soon after finishing BF or giving girth though that the negative outcome may be attributed to it.

nuthinbutpink
February 9th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Thank you nuthinbutpink. Such a shame, :-( Is it that way even if breast feeding is decreasing? My baby does not get that much from my breasts at the moment as also eats fruits, vegetables and meat, and I also bottle feed him with formula.

Yes you have to be fully stopped. Your body is only designed to support one pregnancy at a time and when breastfeeding, your baby making hormones are not at optimal levels by design so you want to stop before spending thousands of dollars on this!!