PDA

View Full Version : One Born Every Minute (USA)

rainbowflower
June 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I've just watched it and it's quite a contrast to the English version!

I have to say, in the nicest possible way, I'm really glad I'm having my baby here instead... 90% epidural rate is shocking!

Also the way it was edited seemed to be much less emotional than the English version, unless that's a coincidence based on the couples they had on this episode. By that I mean I think maybe the English version plays up the emotions with more soppy music and such, and focuses on the little tender moments a bit more.

Colleenrob
March 27th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Love it we have the uk version

Bumblebee
March 27th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I watch this too, makes me cry everytime!!

DoulaMama
March 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
The US version is awful:( BUT it's a true representation of what it's like here:( When I had my first son, I was the only woman out of 19 that didn't have any meds/epidural during my birth:( The ward was so quite that they kept telling me to be quiet because I was scaring the ladies around me:-/ This is just one reason why the rest have been born at home.

zanacal
March 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM
The US version is awful:( BUT it's a true representation of what it's like here:( When I had my first son, I was the only woman out of 19 that didn't have any meds/epidural during my birth:( The ward was so quite that they kept telling me to be quiet because I was scaring the ladies around me:-/ This is just one reason why the rest have been born at home.

That doesn't sound like a very relaxing environment to give birth in! The English one is funny - you can always hear somebody howling in the background, occasionally a baby but usually the mum! I can't bring myself to watch the US one because I had a feeling it would be like that - but I didn't know if that was a pre-conception of mine which just wasn't true!

maybeoneday
April 2nd, 2012, 03:50 PM
I love OBEM (UK) and think it is great for midwife led care. I was very lucky and had both my boys in the pool on the midwife led unit at the hospital and felt completely empowered by both my births. I appreciate everyone is not as lucky as me but if you are expected to have an epidural (90%!!!!) then you will have one.

I am very pro choice in birth, women should be given the information to choose wherever they live!

maybeoneday
April 2nd, 2012, 03:51 PM
PS - It is the men that make me laugh! If my husband was insensitive as some of them in there, he would be out that door!

Princess of Pink
April 2nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
I watch 'A Baby Story' and tape 2 episodes a day...I was utterly shocked at how many people get either epidural or c-section in the US. Most women I know in Australia try to go all natural...and epi isn't just freely offered...they make you feel like a loser if you request one lol. C-section is pretty rare here too and usually only for medical reasons.

Mocha May
April 4th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I was begging my midwife for an epi but she made me believe I was strong enough to do it drug free, which I did. But there is no way in hell I am going through my next pregnancy without one. Maybe I should go to the USA for the birth lol!!!

PeonyPrincess
April 4th, 2012, 08:26 AM
PoP, the private hospital I had my boys in had a very high epidural and C-section rate. I remember with DS1 the midwife barely knew what to do with me as I was having him naturally and she was so used to telling women with an epidural how to push! I think it is quite different in the public system, (much lower rates of epidurals and c-sections).

I completely love the UK OBEM. My DH thinks I am insane and it would put me off, but it is amazing every time.

HopeandDreamG
April 6th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I've just watched it and it's quite a contrast to the English version!

I have to say, in the nicest possible way, I'm really glad I'm having my baby here instead... 90% epidural rate is shocking!

Also the way it was edited seemed to be much less emotional than the English version, unless that's a coincidence based on the couples they had on this episode. By that I mean I think maybe the English version plays up the emotions with more soppy music and such, and focuses on the little tender moments a bit more.

How can I see the english version? Have seen it here in US..Would love to see the difference. I have c-sections but would be interesting anyway!!

maybeoneday
April 6th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hope, try this link One Born Every Minute - 4oD - Channel 4 (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/one-born-every-minute/4od) not sure you can view from outside the UK but worth a try.......

Cinss
April 6th, 2012, 07:53 PM
My midwife offered me an epi, in public hospital, i didn't take it, i am terrified of needles.

fresas
April 7th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I have had epidurals with both of my kids. I'm happy I had an epidural done. I could focus on pushing much better, my labor went faster, and had to have episiotimies with both so I was grateful not to feel that much during those procedures. I am very supportive of women who chose natural or epidural. It is great to have choices.

Flava
April 8th, 2012, 08:47 AM
UK and US is a lot different. Well US is different from anywhere else I guess. Here giving birth is a big money business really.They want it to be done fast and quiet so epi and c/s the best for them! Most of the time they try to give you a /cs with the first baby already so after that you always need a c/s because they don't let you do a vbac . (c/s =more money)
How lovely right?

katiemumma
April 29th, 2012, 08:09 AM
i watched the uk version the other day at a friends the comparision to a baby story being set in the US is completly different being from australia i was amazed how many in the US had epidurals and csections