PDA

View Full Version : 8 weeks today, only measuring 6 weeks 2 days

dollych
February 28th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Hi Girls,

I had an early private scan yesterday and I'm 8 weeks, but the sonogropher confirmed I am only measuring 6 weeks 2 days :(
I know I'm deffo 8 weeks (give or take 2 days) because my LMP was 2/01/14 and I ovulated on or around the 17th Jan. We only DTD once as well that month as we were TTC a Girl.
The sonogropher said not to worry as baby had a nice strong heartbeat and the gestational sac was nice and big, but I am worried as I'm deffo 8 weeksnot 6 weeks 2 days!!! .
Has anyone have any experience of this and was baby Ok?. I'm going back for a re scan in 2 weeks.
Thanks.

atomic sagebrush
March 2nd, 2014, 10:21 AM
Are you sure they're measuring due date in the same way that you are?? because 8 weeks minus 2 weeks is 6 weeks and that would be just right.

If they are, I have to say honestly, that's not a good sign but I think that if things look like they are going good, let's just go with that for now and keep our hopes up!!!

dollych
March 2nd, 2014, 03:37 PM
Yes atomic, they are measuring from LMP as well. I know I'm deffo 8 weeks. I got a positive pregnancy test 10DPO as well.
Why is this not a good sign?. Please be honest with me. The sonogropher said all was Ok and the sac looked perfectly normal, no signs of early miscarriage and the baby's heartbeat was nice and strong. I think she just assumes I have my dates wrong though. I'm going back this Thursday for a re-scan.
Thanks x

aidansmum
March 2nd, 2014, 05:42 PM
I've heard some babies are a bit smaller for the gestation, but as long as the heartbeat is there, and strong, and that everything else looks fine, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm sure that after the next scan, if baby is growing and all is still normal, you will be able to relax. Sending you good vibes. x

atomic sagebrush
March 4th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Sonographers see tons of people, most of whom have no clue about cycles and are just preggo without knowing the particulars. So the sonographer will automatically assume you just messed up on your dates. But if you are saying that you 100% for sure know when you got pg (which it seems to add up to me too) then a baby measuring 2 weeks behind is not a great sign for a happy outcome. Most likely explanation is that something is not going right. If it was a day or two different that was a mistake by the tech, but 2 weeks is a big difference.

Babies develop at pretty similar rates in the early days and so 2 weeks difference is pretty significant. Now please understand that techs do make mistakes and it may very well be that the baby is perfectly fine and that the tech is wrong.

atomic sagebrush
March 4th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Ultrasound tech DO make mistakes and this was just proven in a study Ultrasound for detecting miscarriage in early pregnancy - Health News - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/10October/Pages/ultrasound-scan-miscarriage-early-pregnancy.aspx)

dollych
March 4th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks